Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Can you Cook?

Can you Cook?  

104 users have voted

1. 1. Can you Cook?

• Yes! I'm excellent at it
    • I'm okay, not great, but not terrible
    • I could survive if left alone for a week, but I wouldn't be eating amazingly...
    • No one cooking tonight? Ramen noodles, I suppose...
    • I burn water

This is a topic that me and my wife have to explore quite often. The short version is: she can cook, and I am pretty rubbish. I'm getting better, but I can't seem to get it down. I mean I'm at a level where I could survive if I was left alone for a few weeks, but I wouldn't be making anything amazing. My biggest blunder is seasoning and trying to get flavor into stuff. My wife just knows how to mix things to create flavor that I can not seem to do. She can pull flavour out of just about nothing.

It's a frustrating thing, but I can't seem to get recipes as well as she does. What about you guys? Who here is good at cooking, and who is rubbish like myself?

I cant cook at all really unless making something edible and not get sick by raw food which is odd since I watched a lot of cooking shows but never cook. :lol:

Can I cook? Absolutely not. I wish I could, really want to learn, but right now, I can't do much. The best I can do is pour myself cereal, although thinking about it, I feel like only being able to do that 1 thing is worse than being able to cook nothing at all

I'm glad to know I'm not alone! Maybe we all can learn to cook a bit more together?

I can't cook at all X___X I am all about premade meals and frozen stuff, haha.

But I can bake from scratch like a boss. I actually get inspired to bake, but I rarely get inspired to cook.

• Brohoof 2

But I can bake from scratch like a boss. I actually get inspired to bake, but I rarely get inspired to cook.

Baking is so much better because everything is about exact numbers and exact times. The instructions are much more "step by step" none of that "LITTLE OF THIS, SOME OF THAT".

That sums me up!  Mostly,  I can't cook on a stove worth my soul but on a grill or a camp fire,  i cook like a boss!

Also I can bake mostly only at work,  my stove is broken and my landlords refuse to fix it :( .

• Brohoof 2

That sums me up!  Mostly,  I can't cook on a stove worth my soul but on a grill or a camp fire,  i cook like a boss!

Also I can bake mostly only at work,  my stove is broken and my landlords refuse to fix it :( .

Oh yeah! Give me a grill, I can get my inner cooking God out.

Give me a stove, you may end up with a science project. If my wife didn't exist I would probably be insanely unhealthy from all the crap premade food I'd have to eat.

Oh yeah! Give me a grill, I can get my inner cooking God out.

Give me a stove, you may end up with a science project. If my wife didn't exist I would probably be insanely unhealthy from all the crap premade food I'd have to eat.

I work at a place i can eat for free twice a day so im lucky minus 4 weeks a year......

So this temple,  egg white or marble?

I can cook.  I've done virtually all the cooking for my household for the past six years or more.  I'm a relatively simple cook, but I can usually prepare something worth eating. x )  I think I'm proudest of my from-scratch turkey meatloaf; keep meaning to attempt turkey lasagna.  I invested in a meat thermometer and a kitchen timer I-don't-know how long ago; that's how you know I mean business. xD

• Brohoof 1

If you have some basic knowledge and can follow a recipe, you can cook.

It is a key skill to have.

I also know a fair number of recipes by heart.  I would do okay with ingredients and no cookbook handy.

----

That said it is unfortunate that the choices are "Excellent" and "Okay but not great."  I won't be winning on a cooking show, but I am significantly better than "Okay but not great."

There should essentially be a "Proficient" in-between "Excellent" and "Okay but not great" which is say "barely passable."

I can bake, I can barbeque, but I have yet to actually try cooking a dinner. I guess it's not exactly my idea of fun; the closest I've gotten is making my own wing seasoning. (Which for the record was delicious, sweet and stupidly spicy)

For your information, I'm a certified master at the art of preparing milk and cereal!

Okay, jokes aside, I'm good at cooking... not excelent, just good. However, I will never be as good as my mom.

Maybe you just need lots of practice! For me, it took a lot of practice even to make some good fried eggs :please:  .

• Brohoof 1

If you have some basic knowledge and can follow a recipe, you can cook.

It is a key skill to have.

I also know a fair number of recipes by heart.  I would do okay with ingredients and no cookbook handy.

----

That said it is unfortunate that the choices are "Excellent" and "Okay but not great."  I won't be winning on a cooking show, but I am significantly better than "Okay but not great."

There should essentially be a "Proficient" in-between "Excellent" and "Okay but not great" which is say "barely passable."

I apologize!

I did not mean to offend. D:

Lol well in culinary I would always just sit around and do the dishes when we had to cook stuff but if we were baking that day I was on top of that like a hawk. I love baking, my favorite was probably my groups Elvis cupcakes we made for cupcake wars. We won too. ;)

On a side note, I'm not a total idiot at cooking. I can do it, I just don't really care to. I can peel potatoes like its nobodies business. :maud:

I can bake, I can barbeque, but I have yet to actually try cooking a dinner. I guess it's not exactly my idea of fun; the closest I've gotten is making my own wing seasoning. (Which for the record was delicious, sweet and stupidly spicy)

Recipe? I would very much like to try this sweet and spicy sauce. .3.

I'm not at all great... I can survive- mainly on canned food, cereal, and ramen. The other day, tried to make Mac & Cheese and it was incredibly gross. It's a running joke in my family that I'm the awful cook (which sucks because everyone else is great!).

• Brohoof 2

I'm not at all great... I can survive- mainly on canned food, cereal, and ramen. The other day, tried to make Mac & Cheese and it was incredibly gross. It's a running joke in my family that I'm the awful cook (which sucks because everyone else is great!).

Crockpot! Trust me, it makes so many meals easily with little skill. My wife made some mac and cheese in it with a pretty simple recipe, it was great!

I can master food in a box. ^_^   Also I can make killer cold salads/spreads and veggie ones and chicken salad ;) .  

• Brohoof 1

I'm pretty good at cooking, but I have to confess that I am a slooooow cook, and could never work in a restaurant.  Also, I do occasionally make the meal that doesn't taste so well.  That's the worst, when you have to ask yourself whether you should eat it anyway since you put so much time, money, and effort into it, or just throw it out and order a pizza.  I live alone, too, so my meals are meant to last a few days, and it makes that situation a lot worse.

By the way, I think you should have another option in between "okay cook" and "excellent cook".  It's a pretty big leap, and I would have gone for the intermediate option.

• Brohoof 1

One good thing is making soups  in a crock pot! And if you dont want to eat all of it,  u can freeze for it later eating! 

I used to like to bake, when I had actual counter space.  Now that I'm living with my mother again, I can't seem to find my favourite non-stick pan D:...  I like to make baked mac-n-cheese when I can or make these really good buns with shredded, grilled BBQ chicken in it(it's basically like the meat buns you'd find at a Chinese bakery).  The only thing I miss about my old place of residence was the fact that there were two grocery stores in walking distance so I could get some pretty good stuff immediately, now though, the best grocery stores are an hour drive away...