Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy Muffins or Ditzy Doo what do you call her?

What do you call her?  

61 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call her?

• Derpy
    • Muffins
    • Ditzy Doo
    • Other

I call her derpy why because that what the fandom called her when she was just a glitched out background pony, but what do you call her and why?

• Brohoof 1

Either Ditzy Doo (mainly what I use) or Muffins since they sound less dumb and annoying. Plus saying the name 'Derpy' makes me feel awkward.

• Brohoof 4

Hi ,

Your thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

I personally refer to her as Derpy Hooves. It's the first name I heard and it just stuck. Ditzy Doo is really cute though too.

(edited)

I call her Derpy Hooves. It's the most recognisable of her names. Plus I think it sounds quite cute and fits her bubbly personality.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Brohoof 3

I still prefer the name Ditzy Doo.  Which was, as you know, actually her name prior to the fandom's interference. x3

Wrong, actually. Faust confirmed in an interview a few years ago that Ditzy and Derpy are entirely different character concepts. When Faust caught wind of Derpy, she preferred Derpy's concept more, so she scrapped Ditzy in favor of Derpy.

As such, I only call her Derpy for a couple of reasons:

1. It feels much more genuine to her character. "Muffins" feels too lazy, and "Ditzy" creates a stereotypical impression. Derpy is an aloof, childike, clumsy pegasus; and the name fits her more.
  2. Ditzy and Derpy aren't one of the same.
  • Brohoof 6

Wrong, actually. Faust confirmed in an interview a few years ago that Ditzy and Derpy are entirely different character concepts. When Faust caught wind of Derpy, she preferred Derpy's concept more, so she scrapped Ditzy in favor of Derpy.

Who is this "Faust" of whom you speak?  Why does she go about spreading hurtful lies?

(edited)

As such, I only call her Derpy for a couple of reasons:

1. It feels much more genuine to her character. "Muffins" feels too lazy, and "Ditzy" creates a stereotypical impression. Derpy is an aloof, childike, clumsy pegasus; and the name fits her more.
  2. Ditzy and Derpy aren't one of the same.

My question is this how long after derpy appearing in the background of gala night was the name derpy coined and when was ditzy?

Edited by flutersparkle

(edited)
Why does she go about spreading hurtful lies?

The so-called "lie" is nothing but the truth, and Faust isn't a person who'll lie.

My question is this how long after derpy appearing in the background of gala night was the name derpy coined and when was ditzy?

"Ditzy" was first mentioned in Winter Wrap Up when a background pegasus said she went north to retrieve the southern birds. (A gray pegasus with a violet mane passed by during the climax; a lot of people guessed it was Ditzy.) "Derpy" was first coined by staff when Faust admitted on DeviantArt she preferred "Derpy" in a Q&A. In the show, The Last Roundup officially named her "Derpy," but negative e-mails and letters resulted in Hasbro censoring her name, original voice, and attributes from the original airing.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 1

Her name is Derpy [Hooves].  That was her canon name in Last Roundup until parents pitched a fit, resulting in the spoken name being removed entirely, and the name being changed in the credits.  We know that's her name, the FIM team knows that's her name, they know that we know that's her name, we know that they know that's her name.  That's what they chose.  They're just not allowed to say it anymore.

Incidentally, I hope somepony actually calls her "Muffins" on the show, but puts air quotes around it.  Then somepony, probably Twi, would say, "Quotes used in that context expresses some form of doubt, as if you don't believe that's her real name.  Something you want to share?"  And then the first pony would say, "No idea what your talking about.  Don't know anything about that!"  Then she'd glance back and forth nervously.

• Brohoof 2

She will always and forever be Ditzy Doo to me, as originally intended. Muffins may be a safe, cutesy but it's unimaginative. Derpy is just offensive, and a good warning to be very selective about listening to your fans.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
She will always and forever be Ditzy Doo to me, as originally intended.

It was mentioned above that Ditzy referred to an entirely different character. I mean, even in Winter Wrap Up, we see that Derpy isn't the character that was said to have traveled south.

I call her Derpy, not "muffins". That is not really much of a name. Maybe a nickname though.

Edited by Silver Letter

It was mentioned above that Ditzy referred to an entirely different character. I mean, even in Winter Wrap Up, we see that Derpy isn't the character that was said to have traveled south.

I call her Derpy, not "muffins". That is not really much of a name. Maybe a nickname though.

Once again, I will simply leave this here, and you can argue semantics with Amy Keating Rogers. This comes straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. She makes it pretty clear which name came first.

• Brohoof 1