Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Derpy Muffins or Ditzy Doo what do you call her?

What do you call her?  

61 users have voted

1. 1. What do you call her?

• Derpy
    • Muffins
    • Ditzy Doo
    • Other

(edited)

I still prefer the name Ditzy Doo.  Which was, as you know, actually her name prior to the fandom's interference. x3

In all fairness, although the name Ditzy Doo was used in 'Winter Wrap Up' it was used to refer to an off-screen pony, and although it it generally assumed that this was Derpy there is no canon connection between the name "Ditzy Doo" and the character that most know as Derpy.

The only time Derpy has ever been addressed by name in the show was in the original broadcast version of 'The Last Roundup' before Hasbro decided to remove the name on the grounds of political correctness.

In 'Slice of Life', she was credited as 'Muffins' which is in line with Hasbro's policy of simply never using her name and replacing it with a picture of a muffin wherever a name would normally be used, such as on merchandise.  She was originally (in that episode) scripted as Derpy but Hasbro pressured M A Larson into changing it to Muffins.  M A Larson has said on the record and in public that he considers Muffins to be a nickname, and that her full name is "Derpy 'Muffins' Hooves".

On a personal note though, she will always be Derpy to me simply because that was the name being used for her all across the fandom when I first became interested in MLP.

Edited by Concerned Bystander
  • Brohoof 1

I call her Derpy because I have nicknames and on my birth certificate it says my actual name. What I am trying to say is people called me by my real name before nicknames and Derpy is her REAL name! So yeah.

Once again, I will simply leave this here, and you can argue semantics with Amy Keating Rogers. This comes straight from the horse's mouth, as it were. She makes it pretty clear which name came first.

You're objectively wrong by calling it a "semantic." Faust admitted in an impromptu interview at BronyCon a few months later that Derpy and Ditzy aren't one of the same. By calling Derpy "Ditzy," you're referring to a completely different character that had no actual design.

• Brohoof 1

You're objectively wrong by calling it a "semantic." Faust admitted in an impromptu interview at BronyCon a few months later that Derpy and Ditzy aren't one of the same. By calling Derpy "Ditzy," you're referring to a completely different character that had no actual design.

I am not wrong in that the pony was originally scripted as Ditzy Doo, and then changed as a nod to fans which backfired. I think Faust was still trying to cover her own butt from the fallout of Derpygate with that interview, frankly, because Rogers makes it clear what went on before things blew up.

I am not wrong in that the pony was originally scripted as Ditzy Doo, and then changed as a nod to fans which backfired. I think Faust was still trying to cover her own butt from the fallout of Derpygate with that interview, frankly, because Rogers makes it clear what went on before things blew up.
You're right about the change, but it still doesn't invalidate what Faust said to the guy at BronyCon. Remember, she had full control of the show for season one and part of the second. She's not someone who'll change her story simply to cover her hide.

BTW, by claiming Faust was covering herself up, you're implying that she's actually lying about it. Like I told another user here, there are many things to describe Faust. "Liar" isn't one of them. "Ditzy Doo" has no canonical connection to Derpy in Winter Wrap Up and still doesn't.

I am not wrong in that the pony was originally scripted as Ditzy Doo

In "The Last Roundup"? But even if that was true, it still doesn't mean that Ditzy was the original name for Derpy in "Winter Wrap Up".

• Brohoof 1

In "The Last Roundup"? But even if that was true, it still doesn't mean that Ditzy was the original name for Derpy in "Winter Wrap Up".

As I understand it, while the name "Ditzy Doo" was originally a throwaway in Winter Wrap Up, the decision was made somewhere along the line that if the pony needed a name, or the name needed a pony, it would be Derpy who was called Ditzy Doo. That actually was going to happen in Last Roundup, until Faust changed it to please the fans.

You're right about the change, but it still doesn't invalidate what Faust said to the guy at BronyCon. Remember, she had full control of the show for season one and part of the second. She's not someone who'll change her story simply to cover her hide.

BTW, by claiming Faust was covering herself up, you're implying that she's actually lying about it. Like I told another user here, there are many things to describe Faust. "Liar" isn't one of them. "Ditzy Doo" has no canonical connection to Derpy in Winter Wrap Up and still doesn't.

I think that boils down to point of view, then. I believe the person who put her name on the script first and foremost.

I call her the classics, Derpy and Derpy Hooves. No other names have stuck with me like those have. Both Ditzy Doo and Muffins are very cute, I cannot deny that, but the name Derpy is legendary to me and synonymous with the fandom now.  

(edited)

I may have thought of her as "Derpy Doo" but since her name is now canonically "Muffins", I'm cool with that, too.

Her full name to me (In my headcanon, at least) will be Derpy Doo Muffins! And "Bubbles" is her nickname.

Edited by Pinkiesister75
  • Brohoof 1

I like Ditzy Doo for it's added alliterative appeal. :P But I think just because most of the fandom universally refers to her as Derpy I just stick with that name as well. Less confusion with newer members that way.