Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Methods you use to reduce anxiety

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Lay down, tighten my muscles, walk around, roll around on my bed...

I had  a tranquilizer but I ran out and get anxious when telling my doctor because then people know I needed them.

Plus I was improving a lot before summer and I don't want to tell my family and doctors I'm having trouble again.

• 1 month later...

I've been looking for ways to deal with my anxieties. It's gotten so bad to the point where my reputation on Twitter is in a spot where it can't be redeemed. I keep hearing negative voices in my head and they often consume my brain. To the point where I shut myself off away from people irl. Stay quiet. Stay away so I don't end up hurting somebody. 

In the short term, often the most helpful thing is simply to take my mind off of it. That can be by running, reading, playing a game, or just doing basically anything that requires direct attention. When I'm in the middle of an anxiety attack, that's usually what I need.

Long-term, though, that doesn't solve the underlying issue, which is my thought patterns. Now, obviously I can't speak for everyone since I only know my own experiences, but in my experience, anxiety tends to be primarily a result of the thoughts I choose to think. I get into patterns and habits of thinking negative thoughts that trigger anxiety. The solution, then, is to recognize the thoughts that trigger my anxiety and replace them with better, higher, more positive thoughts. It's often extremely difficult and requires a great deal of discipline, but it certainly helps to have the Bible as a firm, objective source of truth in my life to replace the lies I choose to dwell on.

• Brohoof 1

I had an extremely anxiety ridden day at work last week, and today I had an early meeting that was also very hard for me.

I have been reading some articles just now about turning anxiety into excitement. Since those two states appear to evoke the same physical reactions, it stands to reason that it may be possible to just switch the perception of those physical reactions from fear or nervousness to actual excitement and happiness. Along with my other coping mechanisms, I want to give this method a try.

• 4 years later...

I listen to lofi hip hop beats on YouTube. Kind of an odd way to deal with it, but it really does help calm me down and smooth things out. There's this one track that I played almost every day in Korea, and I love it now.

Easy = go to sleep and hold tight onto something.

Medium = find out the root of your anxiety and erase it from yourself.

Hard = observe yourself and find out what is causing different kind of reactions and change the way you operate in situations so that you can minimize the causes of those reactions in the long run.

• Brohoof 1

I'll meditate. If I can remember to. I'll pace back and forth a lot to understand what's bothering me, and if that doesn't work I'll listen to upbeat music.

Sometimes I just let anxiety run its course because it's sometimes completely irrational and will go away eventually. I tend to have more of these moments in public because I fear I'll get jumped or something, so changing my environment can help.

On 7/16/2015 at 3:49 PM, P-Jay said:

ask yourself: 'why do i even care about this?'

This assumes anxiety operates on logic and reason, which it doesn't.

I find that taking a few deep, long breaths can work to lower anxiety to some degree.

I have a sort of internal "Navi the Fairy".

If I find myself stressing or worrying it sort of just goes "Hey! Listen!" and it pauses me long enough to calm my thoughts to the point that it allows me to find something within the labyrinth of my heart and mind to defuse whatever it is trying to get me worked up. So I guess I control and keep it all in check through internal mental creativity.

• Brohoof 1

I used to have severe anxiety and anxiety attacks very often. The anxiety itself was a daily thing for me.

Then I cut out a TON of soda and caffeine from my life. I still have my moments but unhealthy amounts of sugar aggravate things. If you drink a lot of soda or eat a lot of candy, try lowering the intake a bit. It may help.

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...