Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general questions Notifications and Following Topics

ProjectRKA

When I follow a topic I'm not receiving any notifications when somebody posts. And I'm not receiving notifications when I'm quoted. I'm exclusively receiving status update notifications. I did check my settings and everything seems to be fine there. Possibly an IPB issue ?

• Brohoof 3

The mention seemed to work .-.

EDIT: Brohoofs work as well. 

Ok, I just wanted to make sure of something since we had notifications that broke on a member recently. When you follow a topic, you don't get quote or mention notifications on those, only if there is a new post, so yes part IPB issue since they don't support stacked and linked notifications out of the box. 

• Brohoof 1

Ok, I just wanted to make sure of something since we had notifications that broke on a member recently. When you follow a topic, you don't get quote or mention notifications on those, only if there is a new post, so yes part IPB issue since they don't support stacked and linked notifications out of the box. 

I don't get any of those. All I get are brohoofs, mentions and status updates. 

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I am going to post back here because I am having the exact issue as ProjectRKA. Now I'm wrecked for any way to get me to see an exact post.

There was a post in a followed thread set to notify while offline. I was offline. I was not notified. Last night I was quoted and didn't get notified.

Someone quote me please?

Edited by bronislav84

I'm sorry I may not have been clear. Everyone will have this issue because when you follow a topic you IPB is not sending you a notification for quoting or mentioning. This is normal. If it was the other way and you followed this topic for instance and I did this

@bronislav84

Someone quote me please?

You would then receive three notifications for one reply in the topic you followed. The reply, the quote, and the mention. It is a trade off when you follow a topic. 

I'm sorry I may not have been clear. Everyone will have this issue because when you follow a topic you IPB is not sending you a notification for quoting or mentioning. This is normal. If you followed this topic for instance and I did this

I'm following this topic and all I received was the mention.

Since brohoofs (or likes) are not dependent on an actual reply to a topic they are treated separately and you will always receive notifications for this. Status updates are not connected to followed topics at all so you would always receive those (depending on your User Control Panel Settings. 

(edited)

Okay that seems to be working now. Quote notified and sent me to your post, mention didn't (Known issue) but notified anyway, and wasn't following so can't test. But I would like to tell you that I didn't get notified about replies to a followed thread while offline. I was offline for 2 hours and there was a reply to a thread I follow, set to notify me offline. Didn't get notified.

So I am having part of Project's issue.

Edited by bronislav84

I'm following this topic and all I received was the mention.

You should get it now. I just unsubscribed all people from the topic. You should only get quote notifications when you don't follow a topic. 

@bronislav84 

You should get it now. I just unsubscribed all people from the topic. You should only get quote notifications when you don't follow a topic. 

@bronislav84 

That worked. So you would advice not to follow topics ?

I just checked the logs ... I see that you got the notification for me mentioning you Bronislav. 

Not sending to the right post though, as usual.

Right. As I said earlier this is a different ongoing issue unrelated to this question. Regarding the notification linking there is already an opened task where our Sysadmin responded and there is no present ETA. 

(edited)

That's right sir. My old thread which I keep an eye on in case there's something new. Quote worked fine as well.

But notifications for followed threads seem to be broken for both Project and me. I swear I was offline for around 2 hours. Bangcolt Arena OOC has new posts (I know cause it went back up on My Content and little 5 thread recent topics thing), but my notifications log isn't saying there was a post and to go to first unread post.

Edited by bronislav84

So you would advice not to follow topics ?

Yeah, if you want to get targeted notifications on mentions or quotes. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, if you want to get targeted notifications on mentions or quotes. 

Noted. Though, in my "Drawing Contest" topic whenever people posted I still didn't get notifications (non-quotes).

But notifications for followed threads seem to be broken for both Project and me.

Noted. Though, in my "Drawing Contest" topic whenever people posted I still didn't get notifications (non-quotes).

Ok, I see what you both mean now. Unfollow and refollow the topics, I know it worked for one of Bronislav's threads, not sure about the others.  

Ok, I see what you both mean now. Unfollow and refollow the topics, I know it worked for one of Bronislav's threads, not sure about the others.  

Just did that. Lets see if it works.

(edited)

Arena seems to be back to Immediate for no apparent reason. When I'm on my computer I'll go ahead and redo follows on all my topics though just to be safe.

Edited by bronislav84