Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Doom Thread [Cute Cacos Inside]

Light Rain

I noticed this thread a few days ago, but I'm only now deciding to post something here.

I love Doom. I remember playing it all the time as a kid, especially with co-op mods. I also played a lot of Doom 3 when it came out, and I can remember being scared when I played it for the first time. 

Recently I've been playing Brutal Doom. I'm not playing it constantly, but I have been playing it a decent amount. I'm really enjoying it though. It's nice to see that the Doom community is still going. 

Indeed it is rather pleasant to see it still alive and well despite it's age.

I have DOOM 1,2 and 3 on Xbox. I'm gonna be pre ordering DOOM 4 next year. The old ones wont run on my pc, so I wont get them for it :P

Can you mod them still on it?

• Brohoof 1

Indeed it is rather pleasant to see it still alive and well despite it's age.

It just goes to show how much of an impact Doom had, I guess. I wonder if the community will become even more active as we get closer to the release of the new Doom. 

• Brohoof 1

Can you mod them still on it?
No, you can't mod on consoles, unless if you want to get console banned. Though Fallout 4 will have mods. 
  • Brohoof 1

It just goes to show how much of an impact Doom had, I guess. I wonder if the community will become even more active as we get closer to the release of the new Doom. 

Very much so as that would surely not only bring out more creativity under a new game in the series with Snap Map and all, but also may bring in fresh blood to the community as well.

• Brohoof 1

Run 1, and 2 through Zandorum they will work and in high resolutions with better rendering. Looks nice.

As I said I have them on Xbox, and that doesn't have mods.

• Brohoof 1

Very much so as that would surely not only bring out more creativity under a new game in the series with Snap Map and all, but also may bring in fresh blood to the community as well.

I just hope the new fans it attracts are actually good ones, and not just some stupid kids who'll complain constantly.

• Brohoof 1

I just hope the new fans it attracts are actually good ones, and not just some stupid kids who'll complain constantly.

I'd imagine the older Doom community will easily handle whatever delinquent decides to be annoying in their community. The growing influx may pose a bit of problem initially however.

• Brohoof 1

I'd imagine the older Doom community will easily handle whatever delinquent decides to be annoying in their community. The growing influx may pose a bit of problem initially however.

You're probably right there. It'll be interesting to see how new and old fans mix and collide.

• Brohoof 1

Yep, the Doom community will definitely be able to survive a bunch of angry kids. I can't wait to try out Doom 4, especially SnapMap :D I hope someone uses it to remake Ultimate Doom & Doom 2, preferably with creative freedom to take advantage of the new features/weapons. Would be tons of fun to play, heh~

• Brohoof 1

Let us not forget about Doom 64, which more or less was a whole different Doom.

So last night I beat Doom 2 with the Brutal Doom mod. I must admit, I don't think I fully appreciated the levels in the game, even more so since when I would play it as a kid I would just choose a random level and use cheats all the time. The levels are truly amazing.

How about Doom 3? We've talked about Doom 2 a lot, but not Doom 3. I know that a good amount of Doom fans didn't like Doom 3, but I personally enjoyed the game for what it was, and I enjoyed it even more when I got the Last Man Standing co-op mod for it. Without the mod though, I still enjoy the game for what it is. I can understand why some Doom fans wouldn't like it, but I still think it was a pretty fun game myself. 

Edited by Delirium
  • Brohoof 1

So last night I beat Doom 2 with the Brutal Doom mod. I must admit, I don't think I fully appreciated the levels in the game, even more so since when I would play it as a kid I would just choose a random level and use cheats all the time. The levels are truly amazing.

How about Doom 3? We've talked about Doom 2 a lot, but not Doom 3. I know that a good amount of Doom fans didn't like Doom 3, but I personally enjoyed the game for what it was, and I enjoyed it even more when I got the Last Man Standing co-op mod for it. Without the mod though, I still enjoy the game for what it is. I can understand why some Doom fans wouldn't like it, but I still think it was a pretty fun game myself. 

I think the reason why it's not as well liked in the Doom community has to do with the switch from it's original roots of being action oriented fast paced shooter to a much slower and horror themed shooter Doom 3 became. I still think it's a good game and I believe only the most adamant haters of Doom 3 would say Doom 3 is a bad game, just not as great as the Doom classics.

Let us not forget about Doom 64, which more or less was a whole different Doom.

Hmm, I played it once, though this was in my youth so I couldn't gauge how I liked it and I only beaten one level as I was only available for one turn at a house.

• Brohoof 2

I think the reason why it's not as well liked in the Doom community has to do with the switch from it's original roots of being action oriented fast paced shooter to a much slower and horror themed shooter Doom 3 became. I still think it's a good game and I believe only the most adamant haters of Doom 3 would say Doom 3 is a bad game, just not as great as the Doom classics.

I must agree with you there. 

• Brohoof 1

I didn't "hate" Doom 3, but it just wasn't "Doom". One of my biggest gripes beyond the whole "survival action horror" attempt was the physics. Doom 3's weaponry felt weak. Every enemy took so much damage to take down. The shotgun was nerfed all to hell (no pun intended) to the point where killing even a simple Imp either had to be done at complete point blank range and even then could still take several shots. Then of course that "wonderful" final boss that wasn't even a boss. I wouldn't have minded the Soul cube being used to like weaken the monster to allow gunfire, but you effectively can win that battle without having to shoot the cyber demon a single time. It's really underwhelming to more or less have the complete Doom arsenal and not really use it.

Hmm, I played it once, though this was in my youth so I couldn't gauge how I liked it and I only beaten one level as I was only available for one turn at a house.

Doom 64 more or less was a completely new game. It featured newer, higher detailed sprites, new weapons and all new levels. The plot actually takes place after Doom 1 and 2. So figuratively speaking this is the "real" Doom 3. 

I didn't "hate" Doom 3, but it just wasn't "Doom". One of my biggest gripes beyond the whole "survival action horror" attempt was the physics. Doom 3's weaponry felt weak. Every enemy took so much damage to take down. The shotgun was nerfed all to hell (no pun intended) to the point where killing even a simple Imp either had to be done at complete point blank range and even then could still take several shots. Then of course that "wonderful" final boss that wasn't even a boss. I wouldn't have minded the Soul cube being used to like weaken the monster to allow gunfire, but you effectively can win that battle without having to shoot the cyber demon a single time. It's really underwhelming to more or less have the complete Doom arsenal and not really use it.

Doom 64 more or less was a completely new game. It featured newer, higher detailed sprites, new weapons and all new levels. The plot actually takes place after Doom 1 and 2. So figuratively speaking this is the "real" Doom 3. 

Nerfing the shotgun was an annoying feature in Doom 3, and relying on a macguffin to victory despite all the weaponry at your arsenal. Your suggestion that the soul cube should've been used as more of 'defense killer' for the Cyber Demon would've been a better choice as it pays respect to the arsenal of weapons you had available. Ultimately, I thought it paid respect to the classics in the form of reinventing itself to be a horror based shooter, modding, and being an exemplar of high end graphics for it's time, I mean the thing was honest about demanding a then high 512 mb of video memory. Is it as good as the classics, no they're certainly not, but I still consider it a good shooter for what it wanted to be.

As for Doom 64, I'll have to find a means to get that.

Nerfing the shotgun was an annoying feature in Doom 3, and relying on a macguffin to victory despite all the weaponry at your arsenal. Your suggestion that the soul cube should've been used as more of 'defense killer' for the Cyber Demon would've been a better choice as it pays respect to the arsenal of weapons you had available. Ultimately, I thought it paid respect to the classics in the form of reinventing itself to be a horror based shooter, modding, and being an exemplar of high end graphics for it's time, I mean the thing was honest about demanding a then high 512 mb of video memory. Is it as good as the classics, no they're certainly not, but I still consider it a good shooter for what it wanted to be.

As for Doom 64, I'll have to find a means to get that.

The main issue I had was at that point you finally had enough ammo for the BFG to actually play with it, and yet you didn't get to use it for that fight. Hell I was saving the scarce BFG ammo for that particular fight. Imagine how disappointed I was that you didn't even need to use it.

You really should, Doom 64 was a pretty excellent game that many people forgot about.

Wasn't there a Doom RPG on the phone at one point? I never played it, but I heard about it at one point. 

I also remember playing a gameboy version of Doom at one point.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, that's it. I looked up a Youtube video earlier as well.

Here's a video of the Gameboy one I had mentioned as well: 

A nice find, though the low res on that thing is rather poor to see.

• Brohoof 1