Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Doom Thread [Cute Cacos Inside]

Light Rain

A nice find, though the low res on that thing is rather poor to see.

You'd probably just get used to it as you played it more. I don't think I was too bothered by it. 

• Brohoof 1

So I'm getting closer to finishing making my first map for Doom II.

Would anyone here be interested in testing it when it's finished? (Work in progress pics related)

sig-4028780.UHY1sV7.png

sig-4028780.7oA0VlR.png

You can count me in. Is it for vanilla, BOOM or ZDoom?

• Brohoof 2

You can count me in. Is it for vanilla, BOOM or ZDoom?

I made it using GZDoom, in BOOM format. I personally run it using Zandronum that's my favourite source-port atm.

I'll add you to the list of testers, if anyone else wants to be a tester just comment In this thread. I'll PM you all the file whenever I get the map finished. I'll credit anyone who tests out the map on the ModDB page when the map is ready for release (unless you don't want credit for some reason)

Here's my developer page for ModDB when the level is ready for public release you'll be able to find it here:

http://www.moddb.com/company/black-lagoon-company

• Brohoof 2

I made it using GZDoom, in BOOM format. I personally run it using Zandronum that's my favourite source-port atm.

I'll add you to the list of testers, if anyone else wants to be a tester just comment In this thread. I'll PM you all the file whenever I get the map finished. I'll credit anyone who tests out the map on the ModDB page when the map is ready for release (unless you don't want credit for some reason)

Here's my developer page for ModDB when the level is ready for public release you'll be able to find it here:

http://www.moddb.com/company/black-lagoon-company

May I ask why don't you just post the beta version publicly? Also you should look into publishing your finished version on the official archive of Doom wads: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

May I ask why don't you just post the beta version publicly? Also you should look into publishing your finished version on the official archive of Doom wads: http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/

Because I don't want the public playing an unfinished mod. Why wouldn't I want to fix missing textures or other problems before release? I prefer ModDB because I can publish multiple mods from mutiple engines all on one page as opposed to all over the net. I'm planning on modding other games in the future.

Yeah, that's it. I looked up a Youtube video earlier as well.

Here's a video of the Gameboy one I had mentioned as well: 

Doom on GBA? You mean "war of the blobs"? It was a rather... Poor Doom port.

That is something that I think Doom is most interesting for: it's probably one of the most ported games in existence. Off the top of my head I can list the following ports (and fully know that they are not even all of them):

Linux

Mac

iOS

Android

TI calculators

ZX Spectrum (yes there was an unfinished ZX spectrum port, though I don't believe it was official)

GBA

PS1

N64 (though less of a port more of a new game)

Sega 32X

Atari Jaguar

Zune

Sony Ericsson

iPods (not the touch as in iPods with the click wheel)

Nintendo DS (Obviously requires some kind of homebrew device, however if I recall it even supports Wi-Fi Network play!)

Wii (Via homebrew)

Xbox 360

PS3

SNES

Hell I know there are tons of random obscure devices that have their own Doom versions as well. I.e. not just running an emulator of another version, but their own hard coded version, such as the OpenPandora.

Doom on GBA? You mean "war of the blobs"? It was a rather... Poor Doom port

I didn't mind it on GBA. I would only really play it on GBA when I was out or something, but I think I actually enjoyed it.

• Brohoof 1

Because I don't want the public playing an unfinished mod. Why wouldn't I want to fix missing textures or other problems before release? I prefer ModDB because I can publish multiple mods from mutiple engines all on one page as opposed to all over the net. I'm planning on modding other games in the future.

Many mappers release public betas of their works (e.g. on the Doomworld forums) because it makes it really easy for anyone to test it and report problems with it, give feedback on the gameplay, etc. It's your choice of course, but releasing betas is a perfectly valid and common practice.

Many mappers release public betas of their works (e.g. on the Doomworld forums) because it makes it really easy for anyone to test it and report problems with it, give feedback on the gameplay, etc. It's your choice of course, but releasing betas is a perfectly valid and common practice.

I've followed modding for over 15 years, this actually isn't as standard as you claim it to be. Beta testing is usually closed to the public which is exactly what I'm doing. You can make mods anyway you want. Edited by Compa

I've followed modding for over 15 years, this actually isn't as standard as you claim it to be. Beta testing is usually closed to the public which is exactly what I'm doing. You can make mods anyway you want.

15 years of following modding? That's impressive. Sorry for speaking out of turn.

• Brohoof 1

15 years of following modding? That's impressive. Sorry for speaking out of turn.

About 15 years. I used to install mods from Pc Gamer demo discs, downloading mods off the internet could take days for most people since Broadband was barely a thing and moddb didn't yet exist

• Brohoof 1

The GBA simply wasn't powerful enough for Doom. Talking of ports, the Duke Nukem PS Vita Port handls a lot worse than I thought it would.

They ported that to Vita?

@, Also I wouldn't mind test running.

I remember playing a port of doom 2 on gba being the first time I played doom. I have the whole series but never really played them and the new doom looks cool.

• Brohoof 2

They ported that to Vita?@, Also I wouldn't mind test running.

Yeah it doesn't handle right though, needs to be on pc.

At this point I've got three different forums to put up a beta for, I might as well just

upload a pblic beta at this point since I was going to want plenty of feedback.I still think its less neat to do it thisway but I've come round to it.When the beta is finishe I'll just link it here

Yeah it doesn't handle right though, needs to be on pc.

At this point I've got three different forums to put up a beta for, I might as well just

upload a pblic beta at this point since I was going to want plenty of feedback.I still think its less neat to do it thisway but I've come round to it.When the beta is finishe I'll just link it here

I'll eagerly away a chance to play. What level of play is it going to be? Casual or for advanced players only?

http://www.gog.com

Good news boys and girls, somehow, CDprojektred managed to convince Bethesda to release the older Quake, Doom, Eldar Scrolls, and Fallout games onto GOG. Thus if you want another way to purchase them outside of Steam, GOG is another choice! They're having a bundle sale to celebrate!

• Brohoof 2

Good news boys and girls, somehow, CDprojektred managed to convince Bethesda to release the older Quake, Doom, Eldar Scrolls, and Fallout games onto GOG. Thus if you want another way to purchase them outside of Steam, GOG is another choice! They're having a bundle sale to celebrate!

I saw this pretty cool stuff.

Also the mod has a teaser video showing a work in progress Doom II map.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x33axpm_doom-ii-extramana-mod-work-in-progress_videogames

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Purchased Redguard with Arena and Daggerfall on the first day of the launch. Already had Doom 1 and 2 with the 3 BFG edition.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 month later...

Oh man, back when I was a younger inexperienced kiddo, I first played Doom 2 on my PC and freaking Pinky demon gave me one hell (sorry for the pun) of a jumpscare. I jumped and the thing killed me easily. This brings back lots of memories... I think I'll go straight to GOG now.

• Brohoof 1

Anybody ever tried Hideous Destructor?

http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=12973

It's a tactical realism mod for Doom. Been looking for a co-op partner to try it with, since it recommends co-op.

I also really like GMOTA (Go Medieval on their Butts), a mod with lots of new enemies and music based around two weapons: A sword, and a gauntlet. That would also be good fun to play in co-op, especially since it supports Zandronum.

And one last mod I recommend is Satanic Redux with the Ambience Pack. Hard to explain, so much so that I highly recommend reading through the manual. Same goes with Hideous Destructor, to an extent.

I've got more mods to recommend, so many more. I'll post about them another time though.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...