Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Doom Thread [Cute Cacos Inside]

Light Rain

Pre-ordered the new Doom. Now I'm just praying I don't regret it *fingers crossed*.

I'm sure none of us will. Bethesda delivers decent games and the gameplay looked good! I mean yes it's not going to be as fast paced as the old Doom, that's to be expected. To accomplish that we would have to remove a lot of stuff that makes modern games.

I don't think we'll be disappointed by New Doom.

• 4 weeks later...

Doom-2016-Xbox-One-Cover-Art.jpg

Eh sorry, um, does anybody feel unimpressed by the cover art for the new Doom? It looks like a generic space marine that can fit on any futuristic game. It doesn't show off the demon slaying doom guy we all know and love at all. Take away the title, Doom, and you can probably mistake this for a Halo art cover or something akin.

It lacks personality that can really set itself apart from other games of it's genre and setting. I hope the game is far more colorful in comparison.

Edited by Nuke87654
  • Brohoof 2

sig-4363444.Doom-2016-Xbox-One-Cover-Art

Eh sorry, um, does anybody feel unimpressed by the cover art for the new Doom? It looks like a generic space marine that can fit on any futuristic game. It doesn't show off the demon slaying doom guy we all know and love at all. Take away the title, Doom, and you can probably mistake this for a Halo art cover or something akin.

It lacks personality that can really set itself apart from other games of it's genre and setting. I hope the game is far more colorful in comparison.

Totally agree that the new art seems generic; could easily be mistaken for Halo.

Now this on the other hand:

q6cjc2lrikzg1fwky4re.jpg

and this:

doom_ii_box_art__high_resolution__by_llo

and this:

194669-doom-playstation-front-cover.jpg

Now that's Doom.

• Brohoof 1

sig-4363444.Doom-2016-Xbox-One-Cover-Art

Yeah I kind of feel the same way, but I'm going to try and not let that detract from the game for me. :)

Yeah I kind of feel the same way, but I'm going to try and not let that detract from the game for me. :)

For sure, I'm certain it'll still be an awesome game regardless. :) I'm a little disappointed with what I've seen of SnapMap, however. I seriously hope they give us some more modding tools in the future.

For sure, I'm certain it'll still be an awesome game regardless. :) I'm a little disappointed with what I've seen of SnapMap, however. I seriously hope they give us some more modding tools in the future.

I think Snapmap will more or less be used by entry level modders. Just like with other Bethesda games, people seldom use the development kit when they are more advanced. I think it's a good thing for those who are making their first mod.

I think Snapmap will more or less be used by entry level modders. Just like with other Bethesda games, people seldom use the development kit when they are more advanced. I think it's a good thing for those who are making their first mod.

Of course, but one of the huge reasons Doom's still alive all these years later because it's so highly moddable and people can create almost anything they want with it. While SnapMap is great for beginners, and I'll almost certainly use it myself, in the long run it's just sticking together a bunch of prefabricated rooms that people are going to get tired of eventually. If there's no modding tools beyond it, I see the game's longevity dropping quite a bit.

You wouldn't be able to make anything like this:

church.png

with prefabs. I'm sure SnapMap will be okay, but as a person who's modded Doom for a long time, I do want some more comprehensive tools.

Edited by Makazi

Of course, but one of the huge reasons Doom's still alive all these years later because it's so highly moddable and people can create almost anything they want with it. While SnapMap is great for beginners, and I'll almost certainly use it myself, in the long run it's just sticking together a bunch of prefabricated rooms that people are going to get tired of eventually. If there's no modding tools beyond it, I see the game's longevity dropping quite a bit.

You wouldn't be able to make anything like this:

church.png

with prefabs. I'm sure SnapMap will be okay, but as a person who's modded Doom for a long time, I do want some more comprehensive tools.

Oh definitely, but it'll be cool for someone like me who has never really been good at building mods.

I doubt that I'll heavily use SnapMap, but I'm really excited for the new game :lol: . Need to upgrade my computer thought. But still many people asked me why I don't get a console for the game since upgrading a computer to be doom-ready could get somewhat expensive.

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

So Bethesda is hosting the art cover contest on Twitter to decide which of the two art covers go on the reverse side of the art sleeve cover for Doom. I can't post the pics here from twitter but it is on there if you wish. Of the two, Option B is no brainer as it screams Doom and pays huge homage and respect to the classic Doom art cover. Vote for Option B folks on Twitter.

(edited)

So Bethesda is hosting the art cover contest on Twitter to decide which of the two art covers go on the reverse side of the art sleeve cover for Doom. I can't post the pics here from twitter but it is on there if you wish. Of the two, Option B is no brainer as it screams Doom and pays huge homage and respect to the classic Doom art cover. Vote for Option B folks on Twitter.

Option B resembles Doom in the best way. Option A feels too empty and different for the action-filled and colorful shooter.

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I had a dream where I got DOOM, and it actually ran on my kinda-crud computer (somehow) and it was crap.

I had to reaffirm myself that it'd be awesome when I woke up. Oh well, we'll always have the original, and that's enough for me. In fact, I RARELY ever ask for sequels. There's really only 2 sequels I want: Hexen 3 and Half Life 3.

Oh yeah have any of you played Hexen?

Also, THIS. THIS is hilarious. (PLAYING THIS MAP RN!!!!)

Memento Mori 2 is really good and creative and SO MUCH BETTER THAN 1. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Nepeta Leijon
  • Brohoof 1

Multiplayer done wonderfully.

Hell yeah!

My brother is considering buying a PS4 and suggested that upgrading my computer is too expensive. And also joked about my PC only playing Tf2 on a "cheap" way :ooh:.

And Nintendo got snubbed.... again.

Edited by Limeblossom
  • Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I just played the open beta for the new Doom, while it's multi-player only... It feels like Doom. Like yes, it's not classic death match, but it's pretty damn close to it. Tactics that worked in modern FPS like Call of Duty simply do not work in Doom and the game goes so far as to mock them. In the load screens it flat out says "your health does not regenerate" and it's wonderful.

There is no reloading. There is no camping. There is no "this rocket launcher can only carry 2 rounds". There is no run button.

You're always running. You don't reload, you just keep shooting. Your rocket launcher holds like 20 rounds. And if you camp, you die fast.

I will say while it's not "classic" Doom, this Doom is amazing. It does one thing and it does it well. If you go into this with an open mind, you will have fun.

So the Doom Beta on PC is getting a lot of negative reviews on Steam. Many of these reviews started popping up before the release of the open Beta. Cross checking the general console consensus and console players seem to love the game. It seems as though the majority of people complaining are giving complaints that the game is basically not a Quake clone in HD. I also see people bitching that the console version is actually decent.

This makes me super sad that PC elitists are more or less trying to sabotage Doom because they can't accept change or the idea that console players will get a decent game. I've played over 15 hours of this beta and honestly for a beta it's great.

Many of the complaints are crap that is due to being a beta or balancing changes because modern games demand them. People seem to forget you can't just slap Doom 2 into a modern engine and expect it to play well.

People seem to forget you can't just slap Doom 2 into a modern engine and expect it to play well.

Considering how many times it's been ported and emulators run Doom 2, they probably have done it already  :P

As for the complaints, another point of contention from the negative reviews is that alot of them do not like the 40 dollar multiplayer season pass as it's your typical 'get this to get better content than everyone else in a competitive game'. Also the fact that the multiplayer portion of the game was designed by former bungie employees is another thing many folks don't like as they've used it to justify the 'Halo clone' complaint.

Considering how many times it's been ported and emulators run Doom 2, they probably have done it already  :P

As for the complaints, another point of contention from the negative reviews is that alot of them do not like the 40 dollar multiplayer season pass as it's your typical 'get this to get better content than everyone else in a competitive game'. Also the fact that the multiplayer portion of the game was designed by former bungie employees is another thing many folks don't like as they've used it to justify the 'Halo clone' complaint.

Honestly I think it's just a hate for modern games. Modern elements can work without turning a game into CoD or Halo.

That being said, while the multiplayer pass is annoying, I think people lost their right to complain about season passes and DLC because they stood by and did nothing about them while they were slowly becoming the norm. I remember going on gaming forums so often and complaining about DLC and season passes and being told "you don't HAVE to buy them" and so many excuses for why they weren't just developers charging you for content that should have been in the base game.

But now that it touches PRECIOUS DOOM it's a big deal. No. You people lost your right to complain when you sat there and did nothing. This crap is the "norm" now. There really is no point in bitching about it anymore because it's become so accepted that no amount of complaining or telling people not to buy them will work. I've learned that once something hits mainstream this hard, it's more or less there forever.

Honestly I think it's just a hate for modern games. Modern elements can work without turning a game into CoD or Halo.

That being said, while the multiplayer pass is annoying, I think people lost their right to complain about season passes and DLC because they stood by and did nothing about them while they were slowly becoming the norm. I remember going on gaming forums so often and complaining about DLC and season passes and being told "you don't HAVE to buy them" and so many excuses for why they weren't just developers charging you for content that should have been in the base game.

But now that it touches PRECIOUS DOOM it's a big deal. No. You people lost your right to complain when you sat there and did nothing. This crap is the "norm" now. There really is no point in bitching about it anymore because it's become so accepted that no amount of complaining or telling people not to buy them will work. I've learned that once something hits mainstream this hard, it's more or less there forever.

Pretty much in agreement. 

Tried the new DOOM multiplayer Beta test that's available for download on Steam now.

IMO, it's terrible. If it wasn't for the DOOM name, the game wouldn't get a second glance from most people just because of how generic it is. The multiplayer is awful. I was hoping for a new arena shooter because we've really needed a new one for a while, and it doesn't seem to be the case. First of all, there are no weapon pick ups on the map...you spawn with loadouts. Hate that. Then there's the stupid XP/leveling nonsense that they ripped straight from COD. Urgh.

Anyone else seriously disappointed with the DOOM beta?

Tried the new DOOM multiplayer Beta test that's available for download on Steam now.

IMO, it's terrible. If it wasn't for the DOOM name, the game wouldn't get a second glance from most people just because of how generic it is. The multiplayer is awful. I was hoping for a new arena shooter because we've really needed a new one for a while, and it doesn't seem to be the case. First of all, there are no weapon pick ups on the map...you spawn with loadouts. Hate that. Then there's the stupid XP/leveling nonsense that they ripped straight from COD. Urgh.

Anyone else seriously disappointed with the DOOM beta?

I'm noticing most people who were upset with it were PC users.

That being said, a lot of the issues are more than likely due to the game being beta. I personally loved the beta and I am more excited for the game to come out now. Then again I was more interested in the single player than the multiplayer.