Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Games that have not aged well

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

Some video games stand the test of time, they can still be completely fun even after many years have passed, like Super Mario Brothers or The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past. These games are still really fun today. 

Sadly, some games just do not age very well and that is what I want to discuss here. What are some games that you think have not aged very well over the years?

Two that I have recently thought of are Killer Instinct 1 and 2, the arcade versions specifically. While the home console ports offer more features and far more fair gameplay, the original arcade releases of these games features frustratingly unfair AI that uses cheap tactics, combo systems that are difficult to utilize most of the time, an incredibly barebones fighting system when the combo system is not used and the typical quarter-sucking bosses that are so generic and terrible that it makes me wonder if Rare even knew how to make a good boss in a fighting game.  

The original Final Fantasy IV on the Super NES comes into mind. I tried replaying it and I just couldn't because the game hasn't aged well at all appearance wise. Don't get me wrong, it's still a great game, but as time went on, (then) future RPGs just seemed to improve on it.

Sonic Adventure 2 hasn't aged well in my opinion. When I was younger, I loved it, now I don't. The voice acting, camera and most of the gameplay definitely did not stand the test of time.

• Brohoof 6

Almost every NES game that wasn't a Mario, Megaman, Punch-Out, or Contra. And a good number of PS1/N64 games, including FF7 and Goldeneye. While a lot of them are highly important and fantastic games at the time, now I just find them hard to play

• Brohoof 1

While I feel alone on this, Halo CE comes to my mind.

Recently playing through the Legendary difficulty, I didn't realise how FRUSTRATING the AI are on the game. The guns all have a weird damage spread that seems to depend on the enemy you're shooting at, half the friendly AI is completely incompotent and the levels ended up feeling like a maze to traverse half the time...yeah, not a fun play session  ^_^

It's odd to think I used to love it so much

• Brohoof 1

While I feel alone on this, Halo CE comes to my mind.

Recently playing through the Legendary difficulty, I didn't realise how FRUSTRATING the AI are on the game. The guns all have a weird damage spread that seems to depend on the enemy you're shooting at, half the friendly AI is completely incompotent and the levels ended up feeling like a maze to traverse half the time...yeah, not a fun play session  ^_^

It's odd to think I used to love it so much

Other than the god-awful friendly AI, I do have to disagree with you (but I'm not bashing you). To this day I love playing through the single player campaign, it's always a blast from the past, and I think that it actually has aged really well. Also, yes, a lot of the levels are mazes, but that's half the fun of them. :lol:

To me, I think Grand Theft Auto III is nearly unplayable these days. The combat controls and physics are straight shit, and the world just looks so... bland.

Other than the god-awful friendly AI, I do have to disagree with you (but I'm not bashing you). To this day I love playing through the single player campaign, it's always a blast from the past, and I think that it actually has aged really well.

Well as I say, I dont think many share my opinion :P I just get so easily frustrated with it, I struggle to find enjoyment with it (I only find the campaign playable on 'easy' which makes me embarassed  ^_^ )

yes, a lot of the levels are mazes, but that's half the fun of them.

Maybe, but NOT when you're trying to beat Legendary difficulty :blink:  

Well as I say, I dont think many share my opinion :P I just get so easily frustrated with it, I struggle to find enjoyment with it (I only find the campaign playable on 'easy' which makes me embarassed  ^_^ )

Maybe, but NOT when you're trying to beat Legendary difficulty :blink:  

I must admit, I can't even get through the initial regrouping after crash landing on Halo in Legendary, so I suppose I can't say anything about that. :P

• Brohoof 1

To me, I think Grand Theft Auto III is nearly unplayable these days. The combat controls and physics are straight shit, and the world just looks so... bland.

I do agree the game hasn't aged well at all. I feel the AI is also completely stilted - the ally AI tends to run into gunfire and dies within seconds. The enemy AI, however, if they carry an M16 (machine gun) and you so much as get within an inch in their line of sight, your entire armor and health is gone, and you can't do anything about it.

It's still a good game, though it's outdone by other games in its genre today.

I personally think a lot of N64 games like Ocarina of Time and Super Smash Bros haven't aged well. I'm not calling the N64 a bad system, but a lot of it's great titles feel rather clunky to play for some reason, plus they tend to play in low FPS. It may be because most if not all of the 3DS remakes have simply improved them, and the others are more fun to play on the Wii/Wii U virtual console, but yeah.

• Brohoof 1

Fallout 3 and its predecessors haven't aged very well, I don't think.

Fallout 3 is really playable out of the box anymore. To actually run it on a modern computer you will have to do a bit of research.

Today I used 15 minutes just making it launch. XD

Any of the older games that came out in the early 80s and 90s that didn't receive good ratings in terms of gameplay or story and I don't mean the popular ones I mean the low budget crappy graphics ones.

Sonic Adventure 2 hasn't aged well in my opinion. When I was younger, I loved it, now I don't. The voice acting, camera and most of the gameplay definitely did not stand the test of time.

Oh boy, this. So much. I absolutely loved that game on the Gamecube when it came out and when it was released on the Xbox 360/PS3, I thought it would be awesome! Instead, I realized the reason I loved the game so much back then was the Chao garden. :P That is the one thing that kept me playing the game, they are just so cute and fun to raise. X3. It is still awesome to this day. The rest of the game though, is pretty terrible. 

• Brohoof 3

The first Crash Bandicoot is a game I thought that hasn't aged well. The controls are horrible, the camera is awful, the character models look very dead-eyed, the story is half-assed and collecting Gems/Keys is too hard compared to the two sequels. The only redeeming part about this game is the music, but that's it. It confuses me that there are people who still like this game, as the second and third sequels are more easy to get into playing.

• Brohoof 5

The first Unreal Tournament.

I'm not one to be picky about graphics of video games, but goodness gracious if the bots weren't moving around ninety miles an hour they'd blend right in with the rest of the horribly pixelated environment. Plus the controls are just so wonky compared to UT 2003/2004.

Pretty much most pre-PS1 games. I find it very difficult to care about anything that old. I could save myself the hassle and play something on Newgrounds and get the same level of game design and (usually) much better graphics.

• Brohoof 1

Pokemon Red, Blue and Yellow have not aged very well. Gold and Silver is really where there series hit its stride, but trying to go back and play the originals are inherently frustrating.  

• 4 weeks later...

Going back to this thread, going on what I said earlier, I feel the original Super Smash Bros hasn't aged well at all.

The game feels rather clunky and slow-paced, the graphics aren't really good (even for the N64), and overall compared to the others it's probably the only one I can't really get into in any way, shape or form.