Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best Gaming Magazines

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

One of my favorite things in gaming in the past has always been the wonderful magazines that were made for gaming. It was always so fun to read articles, previews, and reviews for games and it was exciting to see what each issue would hold. Plus there were tons of choices like EGM, Xbox Magazine, Nintendo Power, and many others. Sadly with the internet pretty much taking over in that regard gaming magazines have basically faded, with the exception of Game Informer it seems, which it is really good as well.

What has been some of your favorite gaming mags in the past? :)

Some of my favorites were Xbox Magazine, EGM, and Tips & Tricks. Anyone remember the awesome pencil puzzles in those magazines? They were really neat. :3 Also I like Game Informer which is still going on.

There's really one only gaming magazine in Denmark to bother reading, and that's Gamereactor.

I used to really like EGM until they went under years ago. I'm aware of their revival, but I doubt it's the same.

I also used to like Nintendo Power a lot, though most of the time their Sonic fanboyism was a huge turn-off

I loved Nintendo Power for the humor. I'll admit that their writers knew how to make reporting a little more entertaining. Sadly though gaming magazines are kind of dead now due to the internet, but I'll always have fond memories or flipping through pages of Nintendo Power and reading the letters people sent in.

I loved Nintendo Power for the humor. I'll admit that their writers knew how to make reporting a little more entertaining. Sadly though gaming magazines are kind of dead now due to the internet, but I'll always have fond memories or flipping through pages of Nintendo Power and reading the letters people sent in.

They're very much alive here :P

They're very much alive here :P

Sweet!

Sadly in America, gaming magazines that DO exist are now more or less just buyouts from game devs to say good things about games. If you get Gamestop's magazine half of it is just insisting how great the new CoD game is going to be, etc. It's so obvious that it's become nothing more than an advertising venue and not about legitimate reviews anymore. The entertainment value is gone, it's just all "buy this game".

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when to get decent reviews of stuff I need to consult people who are not professionals to get opinions on games.

Sweet!

Sadly in America, gaming magazines that DO exist are now more or less just buyouts from game devs to say good things about games. If you get Gamestop's magazine half of it is just insisting how great the new CoD game is going to be, etc. It's so obvious that it's become nothing more than an advertising venue and not about legitimate reviews anymore. The entertainment value is gone, it's just all "buy this game".

It's a pretty sad state of affairs when to get decent reviews of stuff I need to consult people who are not professionals to get opinions on games.

We still have a ton of them. Last time I checked, we still had the nintendo mag, xbox360 mag... All that stuff :P

I stopped caring about magazines a long time ago. I get all my news online that gives me the info I care about. I don't need "witty" commentary, I just wanna know what's what and when a game comes out.

That said, I still get Game Informer through my PowerUp Rewards subscription at Gamestop. I skip through half of their articles cuz it doesn't interest me.

I liked Nintendo Power, and Game Informer actually has interesting articles and supports higher framerates in games across the board, which I can get behind. PC Gamer is nice to flip through, too.

We still have a ton of them. Last time I checked, we still had the nintendo mag, xbox360 mag... All that stuff :P

You are very lucky! Pretty much all of the gaming mags that we have had here are all gone now or have gone digital.  I have this feeling of nostalgia with physical magazines, I have always loved having them. Back when I had no internet they were one of the greatest things ever, even now I Would still read a lot of them. 

I actually have a pretty good collection of gaming mags and one of the other great things about them is how they are kinda like preserved history in a way, more so than the internet to me. 

• Brohoof 1

You are very lucky! Pretty much all of the gaming mags that we have had here are all gone now or have gone digital.  I have this feeling of nostalgia with physical magazines, I have always loved having them. Back when I had no internet they were one of the greatest things ever, even now I Would still read a lot of them. 

I actually have a pretty good collection of gaming mags and one of the other great things about them is how they are kinda like preserved history in a way, more so than the internet to me. 

I know the feel. I used to get The Dandy, which was a kids comic book thing. But they went digital from lack of sales, and a couple months later stopped completely.