Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning [OOC] The Blackwater Quarry OOC

Randimaxis

@Randimaxis

Still need some confirmation from you mate before I can begin. The rest seems on board with things, but I want to know if you are okay with when Ziggy hits the gates, Woodchiunk's char will be basically right after, which will make the whole situation potentially worse. And just as things seem like they can't get worse, the loose carriage tumbles down and through the open gate.

You're the boss, so we sorta need a sign-off on this. :)

• Brohoof 1

12 minutes ago, Blitz Boom said:

You're the boss, so we sorta need a sign-off on this.

Go for it.  :sneer:

@Hazard Time     Would it help if I told you how I envisioned entering the scene, whatever it may be? Feel I have a bad habit of keeping cards too close then botching things when I miss my mark.    Well... answer there is: "a loud, pouncing thump on top of the carriage roof from the higher wall of rock on their side."

...oh, and just how big would this conveyance contraption you'd be traveling in be?

Also, darn shame they got rid of the capacity to use the color Brown for text. Don't think it shows up all that well what I just did in the thread.

And ain't none of you know how much of a fight it was to keep me from just popping out of the donkasus like it was an elaborate disguise and going:

"Hah! Fooled you! I've been Widdershins this entire time!"

If it weren't for the fact that I know darn well that Widdershins can't act that good.

@Widdershins

Well, you see, the twins aren't the most...athletic of ponies.  Dahlia is a bit waifish and Ophelia is straight up lazy, so I was thinking they'd have invested the money they made from plying tourists with their "crystalline soothsaying" business into a self-driving covered wagon in the style of what you'd see straight out of Southern Europe.  It would be a bit small and cramped for two ponies, but the two of them are tighter than bark on a tree, so they make do.

• Brohoof 1

@cwhip9

Well, out of boredom, we had Mr. Blackwater sacrifice Crescent to the dark lord Azatoth. It was a fun evening really. We made snow cones. :3

Heh, in seriousness though, not much. It's the start of the day, and the gate guards have been potentially poisoned. We also have a new face here that's just stumbled in, and other than that, Hazard is waking up the two visitors in Blackwater manor. Pretty lazy start of the day thus far. :)

• Brohoof 2

@Mentis Soliloquy  Well, now all you need to do is get Eastnet, Northnet and Southnet to agree to all merge together on the same day. Y'know, like an aligning of planets.

On 1/16/2018 at 8:48 AM, Blitz Boom said:

Well, out of boredom, we had Mr. Blackwater sacrifice Crescent to the dark lord Azatoth.

Hoi! You leave my Uncle alone! He just got done dealing with all the fanboys flocking after that one weird old guy started writing about him! 

• Brohoof 1

I'll have a reply out tomorrow. Was a lot to respond to in my own thread today, so burned out the words in my head. Will have a go at it when I'm fresh and ready to smash my head into the keyboard again: :)

• Brohoof 1

...there's a post limit to here? I had, like, four lines out and it wouldn't let me submit... Why's that? Is it counted in letters or sentences? Had to kinda stretch there on account of playing a pretty laconic character.

Oh, and that reminds me, Did you all need a character entry for my girls?     Locutus  of Borg

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 1

So in an attempt to get my writing juices flowing, I went over to Canterlot Avenue and made a profile for Carnelian!  While I was there, I put pen to paper and wrote out her complete backstory.  I still don't think it's complete, but I'm really rather proud of this retcon.  I'll update her actual profile never when I feel like it.

(Should give a warning that reader discretion is advised below this spoiler.  It does conform to the rules and nothing explicit is stated in an explicit manner, but for the more sensitive among us, I thought it would only be courteous to give a warning.)

Spoiler

Carnelian was born to the affluent Koroundios, an aristocratic family native to the Crystal Empire prior to King Sombra taking over.  Unfortunately, for her, her parents' marriage wasn't a happy one.  Even in those days, the Crystal Empire had a small population, and the number of aristocrats was even smaller.  However, when no batchelors or batchelorettes were available, the last thing that ponies expected was a consanguineous marriage.  Such a thing would be horrifying!  Unfortunately for Feldspar Focus and Olivine Oligarch, who were first cousins and the only two heirs to the Koroundio name, this abomination became reality.

Carnelian Clout was born several years later, an unwanted child to a mother and father who vented all their frustration and guilt onto her.  It was a blessing that she was born as beautiful and intelligent as she was, but that gave her no reprieve when her father or mother sought someone to blame for their latest headache.

However, the young filly didn't have to share this burden alone.  When she was three, she was joined by a brother, Nepheline Necessity.  He wasn't as lucky as her, and his parents' consanguinity manifested a rare recessive blood disorder.  In spite of his sickliness, the two of them bonded over having to face the same monsters.  Though her parents cared even less for Nepheline, Carnelian gave him morsels she stole from the kitchens and willingly covered for him when things went sour.

However, his luck eventually ran out.  A particularly vigorous infection took root in his lungs, and though she begged her parents to fetch a doctor, this request was denied.  He was a parasite, unfit for the Koroundio name, and if he couldn't survive a simple illness, then it was for the best for there to be one less abomination in the world.  Carnelian ran out anyway, but it was too late by the time she returned.  She was 15, and he was 12, when her one and only friend, the one pony that made this horror of a life worth living, left her forever.

When the doctor left, her enraged father chased her down, until she was eventually able to lose him in the catacombs beneath the manor.  The darkness surrounded her, smothering her.  She had been afraid of the dark, but right now she feared her father more.  Unsure of where to go or what to do, she collapsed and wept bitter tears, her heart shattered into a million pieces.

That was when she heard the whispers.  She couldn't make out what they were saying, but she knew she had to follow them.  Deeper into the catacombs she went, old busts and rusted suits of armor glinted in the dim light from the bioluminescent fungus on the walls.  She turned a corner, and another, and there it was.

How long had it been sitting there?  How long had it been waiting for her?  Had it been waiting for her?  The way it just sat there, it was as good of an invitation as any.  Carnelian ran her finely manicured hoof across the cover.  It was rough, like sandpaper, but the simple act of dragging her hoof across it had marred the sheen of the enamel.  The filly gripped the side, and opened it.

The world wasn't dark.  No, she could feel her physical self still tied to reality, but it was as if she was...not seeing, not hearing, but feeling, something.  She reached out a querulous astral hoof, searching for something.  Was there anything here?  Was there anypony out there?

Suddenly, it hit her like carriage.  No, harder, like she was in a river and a war galley had rammed her at top speed.  She stumbled backwards, her head reeling as she tried to make sense of it all.  Before losing her connection, she had felt something, something powerful, something she couldn't understand.  She wanted to understand.  She wouldn't let this secret elude her.

She returned to the book, and returned to the suspension.  This time she was ready, and braced herself as she touched the mind of a god.  She stared into it, regarding it with wonder, and it stared into her, regarding her with amusement.  It knew who she was, what she was, and where she was.  It could see her, hear her, smell her, but It couldn't touch her.  It was trapped in a reality of Its own making.

How long had It lived like this?  It had always lived, It lives, and It will live; It lives, It dies, It is born.  What was Its name?  What use are names to describe the indescribable?  Is It a colt or a filly?  What is gender to a god?

Right, her questions were silly.  She was silly.  A silly filly.  However, she was an interesting filly.  A promising filly.  Good fillies always got rewards, and though she didn't deserve anything, It knew what she wanted.  No, It couldn't bring Nepheline back, but It could avenge his memory.

This book contained every one of Carnelian's prayers, and its author was the angel that would administer them.  No longer was she the tortured little filly, constantly skittering like a mouse whenever her parents were out and about.  No longer was she a prisoner in her own house.  No longer was she a horrible abomination of nature.

She was Carnelian Clout, and she was taking back her destiny.

It took several years before Carnelian had been able to ascertain complete control over House Koroundio's assets, but when she was secure in her wealth and power, she embarked on a grand honeymoon of hedonism the likes of which she was never able to experience under her oppressive parents.  It wasn't for many more years before she had grown bored and settled down to search for a husband.

She found a recent widower in Bold Aventurine, a macho, if thick-headed, stallion who would suit her purposes well.  Her patron didn't care which stallion she picked, all It wanted was a vessel into which It could project a splinter of Its power.  She would still be entrusted with raising this foal, but she had Its guarantee that it would be the Harbinger that would hail the end of Its eons-long imprisonment.

Two years later, Proud Ametrine was born.  Upon holding her newborn foal in her arms, she couldn't help but feel elated with the knowledge that this child would grow up to fulfill a greater destiny.  She would raise Ametrine well, and teach her to master the gifts bestowed upon her by their mutual fiendish patron.  Great cruelties would be inflicted upon her, but unlike her parents, who did it out of malice, Carnelian's tortures would be lessons.  Her daughter would become hardened, cold, unfeeling, and gain the strength of will that she found herself in possession of, and together, they would rule the Empire as Mother and Daughter, satraps of a world ruled by the otherworldly patron.  First, however, she needed to deal with Aventurine...

As grandiose as these dreams were, they were shattered by the unforeseen event that was King Sombra's tyranny.  Even though she and the other aristocracy were allowed a privileged status in Sombra's court, their assets were seized by the new king.  Carnelian was barely able to hide her grimoire before she surrendered herself.  

Powerless and stripped of titles, her heart suddenly quailed at finding herself back in the same position she had escaped thirty years ago.  The mare became desperate, and seeking to gain Sombra's trust and steal his throne out from under his corpse, she attempted to seduce him.  She didn't expect him to see through her, but not only did he do that, he never allowed her to forget this disgusting display by forcing her to wear a leash and collar.

Things became even worse when Ametrine, seeking to avenge her mother's disgrace, assaulted Sombra.  However, her training was nowhere near complete, and she was no match for him.  As punishment, rather than a painless death, he sentenced Ametrine to work down in the mines, hoping for a slow, painful death from overwork.

For over a decade, Carnelian languished under Sombra's rule, never hearing word of her daughter nor any possibility that things might be getting better.  She had nearly given up all hope when the sisters arrived and defeated Sombra.  It was another millennia, frozen in stasis, before she would see true freedom once more.

With the Empire restored, she searched out her daughter.  Her assets could be reacquired tomorrow, she needed to find her daughter.  However, she searched high and low, but could find her nowhere.  She refused to give up the search so soon.  It would be another year, after she had reestablished her empire and then some, making contacts with several Equestrian nobles and business owners, that the private investigators she hired found her.  There was just one caveat, they reported.

She didn't want to come home.  During the decade that she had spent working in the mines, she had spoken to several of the ponies, made friends among the commoners, and the arduous work and suffering she experienced were enough to break her programming.  She refused to be her mother's attack dog, her tool for domination.  She would be her own mare, and she would live the life that she wanted to live.

Carnelian admired this sentiment, but ultimately found it immature and childish, the product of a mind that had never known true freedom before and had no what to do with it.  It was only a matter of time before she became disillusioned, and when that day came, her mother would be there waiting for her, ready to bring her back into the fold and show her the destiny she set out for both of them.

Edited by Hazard Time
  • Brohoof 1

Got some Carnelian-themed commissions that finally finished!  The artist for all of them is Tambelon.

A scene that those who read Carnelian's backstory (the one I posted here) would recognize

Spoiler

w7Wijcz.png

R!63 Carnelian (Garnet Greatness) and Low Key (Wallflower)

Spoiler

eKK7fSf.png

j2yX5Rt.png

• 2 weeks later...

Everything alright @Randimaxis?  Haven't heard from you in a while.

Otherwise, I got more art of one of the twins, namely Ophelia with an alt-hairstyle and blindfold that I'm making canon.  She mostly wears the blindfold in public, and she only tolerates it as the necessary evil that it is.

_c__ophelia_by_acidthead-dc4jlkq.png