Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

planning [OOC] The Blackwater Quarry OOC

Randimaxis

Well, to be Frank & Earnest with you, Randy to the Max...

I mean, like, only if you'll have me. Because you'll have to do much the the heavy lifting here if you want me in. Of my Big Three that I care the most for rping purposes, I don't think Ambie would fit in very well for a work-orientated place like a mine... Widdershins would be far too chaotic if you've got any semblance of a cohesive story going here... (and... to be honest again, I have not looked at the general premise for this thread. Mostly I saw my name n' got giddy.)

Aaaand... well, my Hydra can't fit anywhere unless I form the story around it. L-...Literally in most every case. Theys a big feller.

No, think maybe, if you wanted me involved, best option would be for you to toss out a potential opening as you would for any newcomer. A setting of sorts. I do have some... two OCs that are situated towards mountainous terrain that I imagine the Blackwater Mine could very well be situated in. Think I would prefer something along the lines of a wild, out-in-nature encounter.

....   Uhh... or a rundown on what ya got here, that is.

• Brohoof 1

@Widdershins

Darn it, seems like I summoned the devil. :P Well, welcome to the show hombre.

If you can settle on a character, perhaps I can help on an intro? If you need an outside source to move you towards the quarry that is. I have an OC i use these days who deals in gems as a side business to his building firm, so if needed, I could have you run into one another on the way towards the wquaary and your char could follow for some reason. Perhaps injuries, or curiosity? Really, just trying to help in whatever way I can. :)

=================================================================================

@Randimaxis

I made the last mention to Beck after he spilled the beans about Call and him. I'm rather sure that was the last response to things since then. :)

• Brohoof 1

Okay, let's see here...

@Widdershins - I have a few different avenues we could take:

First, there's the entire mountain to consider - there's no evidence that they're completely alone up there.  

Second, Canterlot's a hop-skip-and-a-jump away... there may be curious pones who see the massive wall & want to investigate.

Third, I DO have some villains that will make their appearance shortly; mayhaps there's an in somewhere in there?

Fourth, Dax does have a campsite outside of the quarry; maybe someone happens to find it?

Fifth, there's always MAGIC WHOOPSIES to consider, if nothing else.

... honestly, I'm rather flexible as to how it happens; shoot me these character profiles you're considering, and I can quite possibly come up with something there.

And Blitz?  You're right about Beck & Ziggy:

I'm curious though, who were you? Quick or Draw? I'm guessing... The later? Seems more natural to have you named second twice over for convenience and stuff. Oh! And do you think there is anypony out there looking for the old yous? "

THAT is the last line between them; next post, I'll address it from there.  My sincerest apoloigies.

Oh, and I did a thing.

If anyone was interested in what happened to Harcourt, then here's the answer to your questions:

https://mlpforums.com/blogs/entry/22664-no-exceptions/

And just for the record, keep your eyes on this blog: https://mlpforums.com/blogs/blog/3191-the-blackwater-vault/  - because everything in there is canon for the quarry; there may be a thing or two there that piques your interest.  If so, let me know - I'd be happy to explore whatever you find interesting!

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis @Widdershins

Well, sounds like Randi haves a good deal of ideas too. :) I can always just keep my gem merchant in the back pocket for another time. Perhaps in case they find an absolute ton of emeralds at some point, and he'll come around at roughly the same time. I can find several reasons to get a few tons of those. :)

As for Beck and Ziggy, yey. ^_^ Looking forward to seeing the adventure proceed.

• Brohoof 1

@Randimaxis Whell... I'm Quite known for my Magical Whoopsie!

Oh, stow it you and your ear wiggling!

Hmm. Well, glad that I read your first entry in that blog about the basics of your little compound. I do call into question presence of a four story emerald & a 12-story wall, but one does necessitate the other. Does seem fairly foreboding and I do doubt much could get into without your family's say-so... which I realize is likely the very point of this OOC anyway. It'd be hard to interject a new, chaotic element without it being somehow snuck in. ...Hmm.

If I read your Dax character well enough, he does indeed seem to be a gentle soul willing to explore & make friends easily. While I don't have anything put down for concrete facts yet, there is a special oc species I'm working on. That perhaps, on his camping excursions he meets my creature that matches his own shyness, and through his discovery decides to somehow sneak the large, curious creature back to his house and my Armorollo is found out as practically a natural excavating machine. Cue usual Pete's Dragon antics. Because after all, what business-stallion wouldn't want to take advantage of the discovery of a new creature that can do the digging work of four to five stallions in a matter of an hour or so?

Hmm, I'll have to get to work on a biopage & maybe my best shot at a picture for representation...

So too, there IS my Amphisbaena that lives along the eastern mountain range of Equestria, if your mine happens to be near there. Shes' friendlier then she looks/sounds. 

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Widdershins said:

Armorollo

1 hour ago, Widdershins said:

Amphisbaena

Maybe treat 'em like Now'N'Laters?  One now, then another later?

Because the ONLY rules I laid down said NO to only two races; I said NOTHING about playing multiple characters.  };>  Plus, new races?  Believe it or not, I actually LIKE the idea of new creatures involved in the RP - as long as they aren't Mary Sue, then I'd have no issue allowing them to do their thing in the quarry.  Of course, we can take it one at a time, too - not rushing or pushing.

But sneaking someone INTO the quarry?  Yeah, if anypony would do such a thing, it'd be Dax - Oglevy doesn't have any friends, and he thinks the quarry is BOR-ing anyway.  That sounds like a decent place to start; because of such, we could bring in your... Armorollo?... on the next day - or perhaps even on the current night, as Dax might decide to head back to camp to watch the stars... maybe even invite someone(s) to join him, if you think it might be funny for MORE than one character to have to keep a secret..?

I do loves me some CHAOS!

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

- as long as they aren't Mary Sue, then I'd have no issue allowing them to do their thing in the quarry.

Well, Mary Sue/Gary Stu in the sense that they make everything about them? Because frankly, that's kinda what ya have to do when you're a draconequus!

Your Quarry doesn't sound like quite the place anypony would go to socialize or be friendly unlike a more general... I dunno, town idea. Nobeing would be welcome unless they were there to work, if I catch the spirit of the family well enough! My ponysona is helpful, but I wouldn't call him competent or capable enough for a labor camp, and Widdy would wibble there unless he planned on just setting the whole place on fire. Though there's a very valid reason I don't narratively supply him with fire magics.

Hmm. I do have an auditor stallion. I'd love to see how the Blackwaters would react to having "The Government" come by for a routine surprise inspection. 'Course, haven't worked any more on Bosco the Auditor either, so I'll stick with Meep Twee the Armorollo for first.

I'll let you know once I get something on her?

...huh... well, I do have a number of unmoored, "more regular" ponies. Clod's a workhorse... Scattamoose can be pretty much anywhere... Moot & Soup would be hilarious... and now I'm getting too indecisive. Would you prefer I go a more typical route & not go off on a tangent species? I mean, technically all those I just mentioned are hybrids but... uhh... Well, Mr. Chaos Consultant, I consult you on this chaos.

I do like Oglevey. I'd love to give you a shot at practicing the little twerp!

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

So, still in the process of working out whom I may use. But I have come up with a nifty notion, @Randimaxis...........

You know what would probably serve as a good natural enemy/protagonist to the already morally questionable mining family?

The local Diamond Dog tribe.

Far as we know from da show, they are a loose, ragtag bands of tribal, but oafish theives. Greed is something just as integral to their species as it is your family. No doubt some thirty-foot emerald is something no slavering diamond dog could resist getting their paws on! While in no way typically clever enough to think up that good of a plan, (if the hilarious shtick they've been relegated to in the comics is anything to go by...) guards or no, it'd be mighty easy for one to burrow their way into the mining facility!

I got me a scheme all plotted out! One silly, kleptomaniac diamond dog finds his way up to that massive emerald, and when accousted and brought to your superiors of the place, tosses out some half-thought out excuse about how "Diamond Dogses live this land before youses anyway..." which escalates due to its half-plausible nature. After all, the Blackwaters have been there for hundreds of years... but can they really be older than an entire species? And so, hilarity ensues as both ends get tied up in either business intrigue or just being too plain insufferable for anypony to get a straight, honest word out of! ...I'm sure you know which sides those refer to...

I do have an inkling of a Diamond Dog character... but I might pigeonhole that until some others happen to walk in with their own diamond dogs. 

Note to Self: Look up what the word Pigeonhole means...

Edited by Widdershins
  • Brohoof 2

@Randimaxis

Since Low and Carnelian are becoming a little stale for me and also because I love giving myself extra work, I was wondering if, sometime during the next in-thread day, I could have two more OCs show up at the quarry.  Namely my psychic twins, Ophelia and Dahlia!  Their profiles are obsolete/not up, but I think this would be an excellent opportunity for me to interact with the "common" ponies in the thread :P

1524749.png

• Brohoof 2

@Widdershins

Diamond Dog seems like a neat idea... but it's still up to you.  Technically, I only gave TWO races that I said no to - the rest are fair game... as long as they don't break the story, of course.

@Hazard Time

Awwwww... and I was enjoying them!  But it's okay - the way I've set up this game, both Carnelian and Key don't HAVE to be your focus; they can be considered to be 'on the grounds', yet can remain in the background until something comes up that you feel they would be involved in.  This way, if need be, you can switch out between the two sets with little to no setup.  And psychic twins?  Ooooooooooh... that DOES sound interesting.

@Mentis Soliloquy

I can make it easy; while the Blackwaters are sitting down to dinner, you're more than welcome to approach the Post Office during that time - I can work both ends as need be.

• Brohoof 1

"The Next In-Thread Day"

Oh, is there other special things I need to know about launching into here? Like you're only available so often, @Randimaxis? That having been said, what are the "Two Races" you're against then? Because frankly, makes me curious as to how you'd think certain character traits can't be in a certain story. A good story could work anything, I daresay!

And speaking of stories, that was just an idea i'm tossing out there.

Speaking of speaking of stories... Think I will, indeed go with your suggestion of utilizing my country boy:

(hah! I was naming him after the shoe! But that second definition for the term works so well too!)

So what do you have in store for him, eh? I can only look in inspirational awe at the improv I'll have to do if & when the question of how a Stump Farm turns a profit! 

• Brohoof 1

@Widdershins, the two rules are as follows:

NO Alicorns

NO Draconequui

The first because they tend to be OP most of the time (if they aren't Mary Sues already, that is), and the second because I want them to remain as rare as they are in the show... although, there IS a chance to meet one at the quarry - though I GUARANTEE you don't want to.  *knowing chuckle*

If you truly want some background on the quarry and the things that happen inside it, (plugplugplug) you can always read the FimFiction story "A Cultural Exchange", which actually serves as the "prequel/prologue" to The Blackwater Quarry.  Find out a number of things about almost every NPC in play (and at least one PC), and perhaps even gather some perspective on the quarry in general.

Though, be warned - it's LONG... and technically, only the quarry half is done; the other half is STILL being worked out between myself and the other author involved.  But that has to deal with another setting, and has nothing to do with the quarry proper - the published half is the important one for now.

• Brohoof 2

11 hours ago, Randimaxis said:

@Hazard Time

Awwwww... and I was enjoying them!  But it's okay - the way I've set up this game, both Carnelian and Key don't HAVE to be your focus; they can be considered to be 'on the grounds', yet can remain in the background until something comes up that you feel they would be involved in.  This way, if need be, you can switch out between the two sets with little to no setup.  And psychic twins?  Ooooooooooh... that DOES sound interesting.

You don't have to worry, Carnelian and Low will be staying :P  I just thought I'd switch things up and give myself more reasons to be active here.

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Randimaxis

Sorry for my tardiness with the reponse. Was having some sickness last week and forgot to check. I'll try and keep a better eye out boss, I swear. :) (Heh, almost wrote *sweat* there instead)

I have something else I'd like to pass by you now that I remember it.

Vylia is the sort who gets information and stuff about just about anypony on the grounds, as have been mentioned by your chars a few times, yes? It's just that when she eventually finds out that Blitz is there - I imagine either one of the butlers or a random worker who've seen her will rat her out - they'll likely kick her out. But considering she's just going to break in again, it might be useful for her to have information on the filly eventually. In case she wants to find a family member to come and get her off their hooves.

Long story made short: I don't know if you saw that I posted in my update some time ago that I had written her a brother? If not, his bio is in the info under the siggy you made me (Best siggy ever!). Could be something you might be able to use eventually, depending on how things will work out.

Just giving a life line in case things gets weird and you need the information. Her place of origin is also described in the bio, just in case.

I'm sorry for how i t looks in advance but the forum code is still messing things up when adding paragraphs in the bio area, so it can be a little clunky to look at. Hopefully still possible. :)

• Brohoof 1

My turn now to apologize for my late response.  School started up, but worse than that, I feel as if my RP muse is dying for good.  I can keep responding here, and I'll do my best to keep this thread rolling.

• Brohoof 2

On 10/6/2017 at 0:01 AM, Blitz Boom said:

@Hazard Time

I hope your muse manages to pull through Hazard. We're going to miss you otherwise. :(

If you need to brainstorm things or anything you might help with the boost, lemme know, and we'll se if we can't blow some life into the old carcass. :)

I have a few ideas, and I think the problem may have been that I was purposefully throwing my muses in repetitive situations.  I'm sure that this thread will change things up enough to make them interesting.

Also, I finally made a page for the OCs I plan to introduce: 

Admittedly, I'm a little miffed that the coding is broken and I have no idea how to fix it, but it's late and I don't have the patience to figure it out :unsure:  Questions are welcome, though!

• Brohoof 2

@Hazard Time

The code being messed up is a problem on the bio page alone for some reason. Talked with a forum leader a few months back that said they are aware of it, but how long it is from there to action I don't know. Might be a big problem. Regardless, caused me to wait to post more bio at least, that's for sure. :)

Your chars look good. ^^ Looking forward to this. Also, for a break in the repetitiveness, just lemme know when your main mare is out of the big house. I have a trouble maker that is more than happy to make the earth crumble under her hooves. :P

====================================================================================

@Randimaxis

I'll make a post tomorrow. Lot's of stuff have come up the last few days, so not been ready for it. Sorry for the delay. :(

• Brohoof 2

In case no one has noticed, I have a tendency to reply after a minimum of three posts.

The reason for this is because I can usually whip up a fair amount of words in one sitting; two or less, and I find myself replying more frequently - four or more, and it takes a LOT more words to respond, making the Great Wall Of Text.

Three is about right.

So, if there was any worry about the frequency of posting, I have now solved what I surmise to be the majority of enigmas regarding this.  :umad:

• Brohoof 1