Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Furry, brony, synonym?

Shadowrunner

Like I said its a fandom first the only reason the word brony and furry have definitions is so it has substance but in order to be part of ether you need to identify you're self as one and fit some of its definition.

True, though i will never under stand those who push so hard for them to be made separate either.(Not in a category sense but in the sense of shunning one group or another to avoid association) 

The way I always saw it was "if you are a fan of anthropomorphic animals, you are a furry. A furry is a fan of anthropomorphic animals".

I don't like My Little Pony because they are anthropomorphic ponies. They could be anything else and I'd like it just the same.

For example, I enjoyed Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks.

Them being human changed nothing for me and I don't like MLP because they're ponies. I have no interest in anthropomorphic animals.

Oh boy, this subject again.

I'll keep my opinion simple: you are who your choose to be.

tumblr_lby6fmxe2C1qbvk7po1_400.gif
  • Brohoof 3

Well, i dont have anything to do with Furrys, i dont have a Fursona nor do i talk to furrys or have interest in register myself on some furry forums.

But i automatically end up on furry sites when i search for Mlp stuff and upload my art there, so...i dont know. If someone wants to call me Furry, im ok with that.  :lol:

I mean, i like cartoon animals. So, i guess i am a kind of Furry then. :wacko:

Well that all depends on how you identify, if you did join a furry forum i am sure you would find it very similar to a brony forum though. . 

The way I always saw it was "if you are a fan of anthropomorphic animals, you are a furry. A furry is a fan of anthropomorphic animals".

I don't like My Little Pony because they are anthropomorphic ponies. They could be anything else and I'd like it just the same.

For example, I enjoyed Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks.

Them being human changed nothing for me and I don't like MLP because they're ponies. I have no interest in anthropomorphic animals.

tumblr_lby6fmxe2C1qbvk7po1_400.gif

A valid point if i ever saw one.

I'm a brony, not a furry. I do not like anthropomorphic animals, I don't want to be a dirty animal, I don't want to be an anthropomorphic animal. I don't find them cute or cool or anything like that.

You might say "well, ponies have fur, making you a furry!". I don't want to be a pony, I don't want to be an anthropomorphic pony, and I don't want to sleep with ponies and I don't find them attractive.

I think that's enough reason for why I'm not a furry.

Like I said its a fandom first the only reason the word brony and furry have definitions is so it has substance but in order to be part of ether you need to identify you're self as one and fit some of its definition.

It's the opposite for me. I'm not at all active in Furry fandom but if by being a Brony technically makes me a Furry, then whatever I guess I'm a Furry if I fit that description. Though I would be of subgroup consisting of people that are inactive in terms of general Furrydom.

Well, i dont have anything to do with Furrys, i dont have a Fursona nor do i talk to furrys or have interest in register myself on some furry forums.

But i automatically end up on furry sites when i search for Mlp stuff and upload my art there, so...i dont know. If someone wants to call me Furry, im ok with that.  :lol:

I mean, i like cartoon animals. So, i guess i am a kind of Furry then. :wacko:

Not necessarily. I guess it depends on how broad term "Furry" is, and if you have particular fondness for anthropomorphic animals. But according to my Furry contact, if you're only fan of specific thing rather than anthropomorphic animals in general, is more accurate to say that you're fan of X than calling yourself Furry.

True, though i will never under stand those who push so hard for them to be made separate either.(Not in a category sense but in the sense of shunning one group or another to avoid association) 

I actually like people who are furrys and have a few friends we have as much of a bad side as them its just I don't identify as them because I do nothing for the sake of it I do things about mlp and nothing more. I'm pushing for the fandom first thing because its not fair to say i'm fanatic about anthropmorphic things when its all for the sake of mlp furry implys im fanatic about it as a whole its a fandom not a term.

Well that all depends on how you identify, if you did join a furry forum i am sure you would find it very similar to a brony forum though. . 

Well..maybe the cute icons would be familiar.

But i would have no idea what to talk about there  :lol:

Being a Brony, is being a Fan of a Show. Being a Furry would be...well, like...i dont know, most furry sites have giant roleplay sections and that stuff and im not interested in that. And other than that, i guess the Forum will have subtopics where i could talk about my favourite series, but then i prefer sites like this, who my favourite series is not just a little subtopic. I have registered myself on a Furry site, like years ago. But i never posted anything. And i lost interest.

Well..maybe the cute icons would be familiar.

But i would have no idea what to talk about there  :lol:

Being a Brony, is being a Fan of a Show. Being a Furry would be...well, like...i dont know, most furry sites have giant roleplay sections and that stuff and im not interested in that. And other than that, i guess the Forum will have subtopics where i could talk about my favourite series, but then i prefer sites like this, who my favourite series is not just a little subtopic. I have registered myself on a Furry site, like years ago. But i never posted anything. And i lost interest.

Makes sense, the mlp community is a little easier to talk in do to the fact we all have a common talking point in the show. 

They're similar in a lot of ways, but they aren't the same thing. 

At the end of the day, "Brony" and "Furry" are not scientific classifications. They are terms that allow people to identify with a certain fan group. A person who does not identify as those things, for what ever reason, is not those things. You can't force somebody to take on an identity that they don't want. 

• Brohoof 2

I find that nobody in this fandom likes being called a furry as if it's some derogatory term though, so I guess in the end self-identification is all that matters.

In its own right, "brony" is just as derogatory of a term coming from the right context. If you see what I'm saying. 

Horse legs do not bend this way. That's a humanized posture if I've ever seen one.

Sweetie_Drops_greeting_Lyra_S5E9.png

They also have forward facing eyes, witch is a major departure from standard equine design. 

(edited)

Furries like anthropomorphic animals. MLP features none of these, so no.

The ponies of mlp fit the dictionary definition of anthropomorphic(Granted so dose the tea cup from beauty and the beast) I was asking in a more fan base similarity kind of way. Also, nice avatar, i  love the look on his face :D 

Edited by Shadowrunner

The ponies of mlp fit the dictionary definition of anthropomorphic(Granted so dose the tea cup from beauty and the beast) I was asking in a more fan base similarity kind of way. Also, nice avatar, i  love the look on his face :D

It's Nick Wilde from Zootopia. Not mine.

All bronies are furries, but not all furries are bronies.  The way I see it is the brony fandom is a subset of the furry fandom as a whole.  An isle of xenophobics in the whole.  Twilight Sparkle is an anthropomorphized pony.  Sonic the Hedgehog is an anthropomorphized hedgehog.   Yoshi is an anthropomorphized dinosaur.  Renamon is an anthropomorphized fox.  Gardevoir is an anthropomorphized plant.  In my eyes it doesn't matter.  All bronies are furries.  The bronies that say they aren't furries are doing so because they are being judgemental of the furry fandom and hating on it for certain vocal/poster boys that ruin the fandom in the eyes of the masses.  Kind of funny, seeing as that is exactly what most people think of when you say brony.

For a fandom that preaches love and tolerate, the members seem to be a lot of haters.

tl;dr IMO if you're a brony and you hate furries, you're basically equal to a self-hating Jew.

All bronies are furries, but not all furries are bronies.  The way I see it is the brony fandom is a subset of the furry fandom as a whole.  An isle of xenophobics in the whole.  Twilight Sparkle is an anthropomorphized pony.  Sonic the Hedgehog is an anthropomorphized hedgehog.   Yoshi is an anthropomorphized dinosaur.  Renamon is an anthropomorphized fox.  Gardevoir is an anthropomorphized plant.  In my eyes it doesn't matter.  All bronies are furries.  The bronies that say they aren't furries are doing so because they are being judgemental of the furry fandom and hating on it for certain vocal/poster boys that ruin the fandom in the eyes of the masses.  Kind of funny, seeing as that is exactly what most people think of when you say brony.

For a fandom that preaches love and tolerate, the members seem to be a lot of haters.

tl;dr IMO if you're a brony and you hate furries, you're basically equal to a self-hating Jew.

I have furry friends and admit the brony fandom has its side too but don't identify my self as part of the furry fandom its a fandom not a term the only reason brony and furry have definitions is to give it substance so when you say you are part of ether one you have reasonable reasons.

• Brohoof 1

What's you're take on this because one of my Furry contacts stated Bronies =/= Furries.

One of my Furry contacts stated that what defines you as one depends on something like... if the fact that [insert whatever here] having anthropomorphic animals is a significant reason why said thing interests you.

I used to have interest in read a comic that had anthropomorphic animals, but the contact stated that because I haven't developed an interest in other Furry things, it's perhaps more accurate to say that I was a fan of the specific comic rather than being a member of the fandom. That was the contact's opinion on the matter though I'm not sure how broad of a definition "Furry" is exactly.

It's also Lyra from the fanservice episode.

That was her specific thing.

True, how ever this is not the only instance where this happens, any time they lie in bed is a good example .

True, how ever this is not the only instance where this happens, any time they lie in bed is a good example .

Lets say that is true dosn't mean you were fanatic about it or any of the anthropomorphic features in mlp you could just like the story.

• Brohoof 1

Lets say that is true dosn't mean you were fanatic about it or any of the anthropomorphic features in mlp you could just like the story.

Right. You could love Bugs Bunny cartoons, but that alone doesn't make you a furry.

• Brohoof 2

very true, i wasn't intending to say "It is anthro there fore furry" I was more trying to say it is indeed anthro "

• Brohoof 1