Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Furry, brony, synonym?

Shadowrunner

(edited)

I don't understand why people keep splintering off into different factions because they don't want to be perceived to be associated with the other groups. Furry or Brony in the end of the day every hater outside of those categories is going to look down on them.

Because we are two different fandoms and if you're a brony and want to be a furry too thats fine but don't just throw every one in the same pot over a assumption, me and many other bonys just don't see our selfs as furrys no hate.

Edited by flutersparkle
  • Brohoof 1

Because we are two different fandoms and if you're a brony and want to be a furry too thats fine but don't just throw every one in the same pot over a assumption, me and many other bonys just don't see our selfs as furrys no hate.

I don't care how the groups are set up I don't try to rationalize how one group and the other are made to be different. The problem you should have is with the haters, in many cases if you merely ignore the haters you wouldn't have to try and disconnect others of the other group that suffer the same injustice.

(edited)

I don't care how the groups are set up I don't try to rationalize how one group and the other are made to be different. The problem you should have is with the haters, in many cases if you merely ignore the haters you wouldn't have to try and disconnect others of the other group that suffer the same injustice.

Just want to clarify all I see a brony as is some one who is out of the age group that watches my little pony and identify them self as one and I see a furry as nothing more then a fan of anthropomorphic animals and identify them self as one no stereotype tropes. I feel its unjust to force bronys to say they are part of something they don't identify as or even really count as.

Edited by flutersparkle

Just want to clarify all I see a brony as is some one who is out of the age group that watches my little pony and identify them self as one and I see a furry as nothing more then a fan of anthropomorphic animals and identify them self as one no stereotype tropes. I feel its unjust to force bronys to say they are part of something they don't identify as or even really count as.

Eh? I guess if there are people that do clump them together than you have another thing to worry about other than haters well good luck with that.

A question of the similarity was my intent, not offence. By why would you be offended. Furry is not a derogatory term. I can understand why you would refute being seen as a a furry( as that is apparently not your thing) , but not why you would be offended by the comparison. 

I'm sorry. It's really not your fault. I just got picked on at school because I have friends who like this stuff. This topic just made me remember that

I'm sorry. It's really not your fault. I just got picked on at school because I have friends who like this stuff. This topic just made me remember that

It always makes me sad to hear that people get picked on for this kind of thing,  I wish you luck in avoiding the kinds of people who do that, and in dealing with them if they can not be avoided. 

• Brohoof 1

All bronies are furries, but not all furries are bronies.  The way I see it is the brony fandom is a subset of the furry fandom as a whole.  An isle of xenophobics in the whole.  Twilight Sparkle is an anthropomorphized pony.  Sonic the Hedgehog is an anthropomorphized hedgehog.   Yoshi is an anthropomorphized dinosaur.  Renamon is an anthropomorphized fox.  Gardevoir is an anthropomorphized plant.  In my eyes it doesn't matter.  All bronies are furries.  The bronies that say they aren't furries are doing so because they are being judgemental of the furry fandom and hating on it for certain vocal/poster boys that ruin the fandom in the eyes of the masses.  Kind of funny, seeing as that is exactly what most people think of when you say brony.

For a fandom that preaches love and tolerate, the members seem to be a lot of haters.

tl;dr IMO if you're a brony and you hate furries, you're basically equal to a self-hating Jew.

Times like these make me glad I am not a brony.

It's a separate fandom although very similar in the case of anthropomorphic animals featured within it (the humanistic ponies) and a wide range of anthro art the fans produce. The furry fandom is more lenient to personal anthro characters and anthropomorphic appreciation instead of a fandom specific to enjoying the content of a certain cartoon show. 

Times like these make me glad I am not a brony.

I must say i am a little confused as to what you mean, as well as to why a non brony would be on a brony forum, and interacting with the brony community? (I mean no offense, just curious")

I must say i am a little confused as to what you mean, as well as to why a non brony would be on a brony forum, and interacting with the brony community? (I mean no offense, just curious")

The site is called "MLP" Forums. It in no way states it is solely for bronies. General fans of the show are free to come and go. I do not consider myself a brony, just a casual fan. I don't really care about conventions, brony games, brony music, or who any of the "famous" bronies are. I couldn't tell you who half of the people I hear bronies talking about are. I don't really care about following brony projects or really much of anything.

Occasionally I'll see some nice art, but that's probably on a once every 2-3 week basis. I don't even really actively watch the show anymore, but I still find it enjoyable and it's nice to have a site that is relatively active that you can have discussions with other people on.

The site is called "MLP" Forums. It in no way states it is solely for bronies. General fans of the show are free to come and go. I do not consider myself a brony, just a casual fan. I don't really care about conventions, brony games, brony music, or who any of the "famous" bronies are. I couldn't tell you who half of the people I hear bronies talking about are. I don't really care about following brony projects or really much of anything.

Occasionally I'll see some nice art, but that's probably on a once every 2-3 week basis. I don't even really actively watch the show anymore, but I still find it enjoyable and it's nice to have a site that is relatively active that you can have discussions with other people on.

I find it interesting as general fan of the show is what a brony is, and i must say i agree with you on the topic of discussion. A good conversation is always wonderful :D 

I find it interesting as general fan of the show is what a brony is, and i must say i agree with you on the topic of discussion. A good conversation is always wonderful :D

Brony is really up to every person to decide what they personally feel it means.

Brony is really up to every person to decide what they personally feel it means.

True, i was just speaking along the lines of a general definition. Granted it is a concept so as you said it has no real definition. 

if you compare ponies to ferals in furry lore you get quite a lot in common... they're both fully-animal-shaped,they're both sapient, and they're both strongly personalized by their respective owners/creators. Ponies are based strictly on the show, but ferals can belong to a great number of shows or none nice they are focused around non-anthro characters which can vary widely.

so while many furries and bronies seem to strongly reject the idea, I honestly think bronies are a furry subgenre too. But that's just me.

if you compare ponies to ferals in furry lore you get quite a lot in common... they're both fully-animal-shaped,they're both sapient, and they're both strongly personalized by their respective owners/creators. Ponies are based strictly on the show, but ferals can belong to a great number of shows or none nice they are focused around non-anthro characters which can vary widely.

so while many furries and bronies seem to strongly reject the idea, I honestly think bronies are a furry subgenre too. But that's just me.

A child of the furry fandom perhaps, many reasons for being furry and for being a brony may be and from my experience are similar. 

• Brohoof 1

The ultimate reason why a brony is a brony and a furry is a furry isn't what but why bronys do anthropomorphic  things revolving around my little pony ultimately because it goes back to they are a fan of my little pony, furrys do it because they are just fanatic about anthropomorphic animals by its self back to the root of what the fandom is. The parallels and mannerisms have nothing to do with anything and the assumption it means anything is illogical it comes down to the person and there own interest and if their reasoning makes them also a furry or not. You can tag work done by bronys as also furry but don't call all bronys furrys. 

• Brohoof 1

The ultimate reason why a brony is a brony and a furry is a furry isn't what but why bronys do anthropomorphic  things revolving around my little pony ultimately because it goes back to they are a fan of my little pony, furrys do it because they are just fanatic about anthropomorphic animals by its self back to the root of what the fandom is. The parallels and mannerisms have nothing to do with anything and the assumption it means anything is illogical it comes down to the person and there own interest and if their reasoning makes them also a furry or not. You can tag work done by bronys as also furry but don't call all bronys furrys. 

I mean so in the furries and bronies tend to be more accepting than other groups, kinder in many ways and tend to cater to smaller demographics.  As well as at both of there bases being something that would appear odd to someone at a glance. I wan not intending to call all bronies furries, just atempting to ask what other bronies thought of the similarities. Refrencing this group as a child of the furry fandom was just my way of saying g that furries are older as a group, and similar to bronies. (Some think that the first bronies were furries but those rumors as far as i can tell are not provable) 

(edited)

This is frustrating ? They're clearly two different fandoms.

Someone can be in one of the fandoms and someone can be in both. It doesn't matter.

Edited by Princess Sapphire

(edited)

They're not synonyms per se, but one can definitely be a subsection of the other, but of course not all furries are bronies and not all bronies are furries, the two are mutually exclusive most of the time.

Edited by Guest

Late response to this, don't give a fuck.

Anyone is free to join a public forum regardless of what the core subject matter is. I'm not a brony and I hardly ever discuss the show here, but I do enjoy talking about fandoms.

Late response to this, don't give a fuck.

Anyone is free to join a public forum regardless of what the core subject matter is. I'm not a brony and I hardly ever discuss the show here, but I do enjoy talking about fandoms.

Interesting, i did not know that it was a common thing for non bronies to visit forums intended for them, or primarily marketed at them. (Not saying its bad , just interesting) Its actually an a welcome surprise as far as i am concerned. 

This is frustrating ? They're clearly two different fandoms.

Someone can be in one of the fandoms and someone can be in both. It doesn't matter.

I was not intending this to frustrate, just to discuss the similarities and differences. As well as determine why some members of one or the other fandom have an irrational hate for the other. 

• 5 years later...