Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Summer or Winter good where you live?

Sky Knight

Summer or Winter?  

96 users have voted

1. 1. Is Summer or Winter better where you live?

• Summer is better here.
    • Both are okay.
    • Winter is better here.
    • They're both bad.

The winters in the United States Midwest are a hit and miss. Both Summer and Winter are extreme. We can get into the 90's and 100's with very high humidity in the summer, and 40's below with 60 below wind chill in the winter. It can be either wet or dry in both seasons. Climate change has made extremes commonplace in the past decade. There's actually a distinct difference between the weather I grew up and the weather since 2002 (which I dubbed the "year with no snow", because it was so abnormal to me at age 11).   These past 3 years have especially strange, with this past summer being utterly perfect (I think only 5 or 6 days in the upper 80/90's).... but the winter before last, I experianced some of the coldest weather in my life (60 below).  Fall and Spring are fairly wet and also extreme (we are just getting out of a short heat wave in the mid/upper 80's and are heading for lower 60s now for the highs). I actually like it here though, we have plentiful water, and lush green forests....I wouldn't want to live in tundra, or desert, or rainforest. The differences give me variety to my enviornment, and even though winter is dangerous to drive in, intelligence and planning will bring me more safety than anything else. I like to adapt to changing weather...but then again, I am one to find the time to "smell the roses" as it is said, and because of that, I can appreciate the climate I live in a great deal more than most everyone around me.

You can't change the weather, only adapt to it, so why complain?

Edited by Treble Bolt

Nope. They both completely suck. Winters are just terrible in North Dakota. Temperature gets below -20 outside (wind chill can get it close to -60). Snow is brittle and powdery, so there's no fun to be had outside. Then, the snow compacts up to 3 feet, at least, freezes, and stays that way until late Spring.

The roads are always icy, and school is never cancelled (not even in blizzards). Then Summer is too hot too soon. It gets to be up to 80 degrees, and makes you want to just keel over and die.

By the time you get acquainted to the heat, the snow's already falling and the next Winter is even more miserable than the last.

It gets to be up to 80 degrees, and makes you want to just keel over and die.

80 degrees is hardly anything. Just subtract eight degrees and you get room temperature. I'd say you have rather mild summers.

• Brohoof 1

One of the things I love about where I live is how every season is very distinct and absolutely wonderful. Summer brings hot days, and hot nights, and it's so much fun to be outside. I remember this summer I was just chilling the fuck out walking around my city at like midnight, and I ended up on a hill I used to sled on when I was a kid. I just laid there and looked at the stars. It was amazing how warm it was even though the sun had been down for hours. 

Spring and autumn always see a pleasant balance of temperatures, and winters are cold but delightful. 

However, due to my geographical location there's plenty of variety year-round. Some days feel very different from the season we're in. Just goes to show how our understanding of life is often only a really distant approximation.

• 3 weeks later...

Both are ok in my opinion..

Summer here in LA is rather painful because it tends to get really hot! I swear that if you put a toy car on a hot summer day it melts in 15-20 minutes! And also if you run on the hot summer heat, you feel that you are about to die or something (trust me, I ran in the super hot summer heat in August [93 degrees Fahrenheit])

But hey, its in a desert region so yea that is the type of summers you are gonna expect if you come here! :)

But right now things are different, its raining right now (rain is my type of weather)

post-34827-0-86399500-1443981612_thumb.jpg

post-34827-0-24176000-1443981637_thumb.jpg

Edited by RlikesRainbowdash

Well I'm in the UK south-west, which bascially means you have no idea what any season is going to be like. I'm a cold weather person though and I don't mind the rain that much, so probably winter. Though being so far north on the globe, winter daylight hours are really short.

Edited by DJW
  • Brohoof 1

I cant really say, that the weather here is better than somewhere else, because i barely left my country  :lol:

But i like winter here. I mean, yeah its cold, but its better than to hot. Because i hate sweating .

Summers can get a little hot, but I'm used to it, and I don't mind the heat so much. I just prefer summer in general, and I hate being cold. Granted we don't get a real winter like people farther north, but that doesn't mean it doesn't get cold down here.  We only get a little bit of snow once or twice a year, but whenever we do it sucks.  Any more than two snowflakes on the ground, and the whole South goes into panic mode. Everything closes down, people crash because they don't know how to drive in snow, and for some reason they hoard milk, bread, and apparently Pop-Tarts like it's genetically hard-wired into them.

I live in Kentucky, just in the right spot where I get the worst of both seasons.

A summer day can get to over 100 degrees Farenheit, and droughts can last for months.

A winter day can get to well below zero, and a week-long ice storm is not unheard of.

Summer has a good points but we had a few good weeks of pure hell and winter is ok but snow is also ok just around Feb we get the chill of  hell.

Both are horrid by the time you get to the end of summer you like the heat then BAM winter hits like a truck and at the end of winter you don't mind the cold then it's summer before you know it you'll barley noticed spring or autumn . It's summer now and it's only going to get worse as it gets closer to Christmas... that's Australia for ya

Summer is hell. Winter is cold and feels ok when wearing the right stuff (enough stuff), but nothing interesting happens, usually..... so it's boring.

Edited by WumboWolf