Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Mandatory Spoilers for Pictures

Radiobolt

Hey guys! I'm new here, but I've seen a problem I've been having the past few minutes of me being here - Especially on the more popular thread.

I've noticed that there are a lot of problems with the pictures. Now, my computer isn't old, but sometimes I'm doing other things, and sometimes these other things MAY take up a lot of computer usage. This can make me lag and such when it's loading 10 large sized pictures at once, and can make it confusing.

You could make it where pictures that are SMALLER than a certain pixel size (Im not good with pixels) can be made without spoilers, but anything larger than that has to be.

I'm sorry if I sound rude posting this >3<

Technically speaking, a spoilered image on a page will still take up as much RAM usage as a non-spoilered image.  The only benefit of placing images in spoilers in that aspect is that the page won't automatically scroll up or down once the images load, hence your "lagging" effect.  

It's also something that would impossible to place a rule against.

And, implementing code to automatically place any image uploaded here into a spoiler would be a waste of time.

No, it's not rude at all.  Just consider having less tabs open, and less other programs open, if your computers RAM isn't very high.

My laptop has 8gb of RAM, so I can have multiple programs and multiple tabs open without issue.

~ Miles

• Brohoof 1

This has come up before. Miles has mentioned the lack of dynamic loading (noraml for IPB). Here are the other issues

Making it a rule to have images spoilered would be a process that becomes untenable and to difficult to enforce. I'm not a fan of directing staff to send messages or warnings to people who are simply wanting to share a pic. Not only is it a pain to enforce, it would hurt the community experience.

The software we use does not support your proposal.

It adds a layer of UI to the casual viewing of a topic.

Our fandom in general is gloriously visual in celebrating the show. A rule of this nature would hamper that.

Just some thoughts on the issue in general and why it may not be the best idea when looking at the big picture.

• Brohoof 2

I think this is an example of where common sense and best practices should be used rather than having a firm rule saying that images must automatically be spoilered. A person sharing say one image or maybe two probably isn't going to cause lag but it is common courtesy to spoiler images if you are going to post multiple images, a good example being the numerous "fanclub" threads where this is common place. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, I was thinking it should be brought to attention an such. I dunno, I understand that it doesn't reall need to be a rule rule, but ya know what I mean.

I was on the Rarity Fanclub and my computer went NOPE. There were probably 20 pictures on one page.