Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MlpAstralArray

(edited)

Cutie Marks. The mark that supposedly defines who you are. You'll notice in the show that some of the ponies names and cutie marks are similar, like Applejack. Then in some cases the name is completely different from the cutie mark, like Princess Cadence. Why is that? My theory right now is basically one of The Brony Notion's theories: What if Celestia visits the parents of newborns and tell them what they should name their kid, since she has been portrayed to have tons of knowledge about other ponies destinies? But something about that doesn't make sense to me. Let me know what you guys think!  :)

Edited by MlpAstralArray
  • Brohoof 1

Well I can certainly say Celestia isn't visiting every newborn in Equestria with naming recommendations. I don't believe there is or will be any reasonable explanation detailing how a pony's name usually matches their eventual cutie mark. The fully realized character is always made in advance, so creators know what to name them. It's simply a fun gimmick worth ignoring a small plot hole.

• Brohoof 2

Well I can certainly say Celestia isn't visiting every newborn in Equestria with naming recommendations. I don't believe there is or will be any reasonable explanation detailing how a pony's name usually matches their eventual cutie mark. The fully realized character is always made in advance, so creators know what to name them. It's simply a fun gimmick worth ignoring a small plot hole.

Yeah I agree with you there, maybe one day we'll get an explanation.  :lol:

(edited)

I don't think parent ponies know what their child's talent will be in advance, nor do I believe that they are responsible for placing a destiny upon their child. I always assumed that pony parents had some sort of magical "realization" once their child was born and they suddenly knew what to name the foal. While they could make educated guesses of the pony's destiny based upon the its name, they, as well as the foal, would have to wait until the mark itself appears. Even if newborn foals are orphaned or adopted, their foster parents or guardians could also receive the same realization. I think the magical force in the Pony Universe itself is behind all of this. It is able to be omnipresent and omnipotent, where the royal sisters are limited in their ability to be aware of all things in Equestria at once. 

Edited by Quartz Aegis
  • Brohoof 2

I think its one of those things that shouldnt be overthought. Its a kids show so its not meant to be 100% in continuity.

Yeah that's true. But I'm thinking outside of the box I guess idk  :twi:

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I think cutie marks are reflections of BOTH name and talent. But how and when ponys get their marks i entirely unique. while yes ponys could possibly have the same mark, they would get it in a different way. But here's one problem ONLY ponys have cutie marks so that makes another question. does Zecora actually have a cutie mark, or is it a tattoo

Edited by Pinkfireflame
  • Brohoof 2