Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If humans reproduced asexually?

CosmicHooves

Imagine if humans never reproduced sexually in the first place.

What would society be like today?

I think first off, we'd be at least 3 times more advanced as a species than we are now.

This is because allot of issues surrounding sexuality would be gone.

There would also be no genders.

Imagine a human who is neither male or female?

I sure can't.

Marriage probably wouldn't exist.

So what do you think would happen if the human race was brought up this way?

• Brohoof 1

BUT SEX IS WONDERFUL

A WORLD WITHOUT SEX WOULD BE BORING

However, sexually transmitted diseases wouldn't exist anymore, which is pretty nice.

• Brohoof 9

(edited)

Basically, iif human reproduction were asexual, all the population on earth would be only female.

There are some species, like the "Lady Lizard" and the Komodo Dragon that dont need males to make babies. Is more, in the Lady Lizard, males are extinct!

This also happend in some labs cockroachs during 1999.

(This article is really interesting. I recommend to read it!)

Edited by Sochy
Correct my english.
  • Brohoof 3

Are you suggesting we split ourselves like some sort of an amoeba? That would also imply that people would be clones of their parents. Humans would be clones upon clones of the original asexually reproducing human -- there would be differences due to mutations and the like, but at the core, humans would be much more similar.

I'd hazard a guess and say that we'd be more advanced as a species due to the fact that instead of fighting over mates and status, we would devote more of our attention to fighting over resources - which is a struggle that translates into progress, basically.

• Brohoof 2

That would make things a bit boring over time I think, people would be pretty much just like their parents in terms of appearance then I would think, what's the fun in that? :o Diversity! Besides, society would find plenty of other things to worry about other than sexually related things.

• Brohoof 3

I don't know, walking around with a little nub of me growing on my arm would be cumbersome.

In more seriousness, I think we would be a lonelier species, because we wouldn't have as strong of interconnected bonds. Overcrowding would also be an even bigger problem, because it would only take one person to reproduce.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)
There would also be no genders. Imagine a human who is neither male or female?

That's horrible! It would be impossible to stare at a cute female's butt because there are no females, so it would be awkward!

I-I mean, it will be horrible because there would be no sex. And sex is great!

Dammit! W-what I mean to say is that it would be a boring existence!

Yeah, totally. That's what I meant to say.

Edited by Smarts
  • Brohoof 2

The major problem with asexual reproduction would be genetic diversity, 

Humans right now reproduce in a way that mixes DNA therefore making all of us pretty genetically diverse that means if a serious disease struck some people may be genetically resistant while others were not ensuring some people would survive to carry on the human race.  

However if we reproduced asexually we would all be nearly genetically identical meaning 0 genetic diversity, therefore if a serious disease emerged it would likely wipe out the entirety of mankind since we would all be the same and therefore share the same weakness.  

but splitting into smaller versions of yourself would be pretty cool  :lol:

• Brohoof 5

There is a very good reason why more advanced species tend to reproduce sexually and why less advanced species to reproduce asexually and it all goes down to genetic diversity. A creature can only advance and evolve so much without mixing and recombining different genetic traits from different partners meaning that it is likely impossible to have a species as advanced as humans without sexual reproduction. Human beings would be completely unrecognizable from what they are now assuming their ancestors could even evolve to that point, they wouldn't be nearly as advanced and the lack of said diversity would make them much more vulnerable to pandemics as since everyone would be genetically the same there would be less variation meaning less of a defense against disease.

Lol. I think I would be worried for our genepool. 

Even still, gender plays a role in bringing up the child. Eg. Mother/Father figures. 

What comes to mind is the psychologist who did a test on the Comfort and Nutrition monkey parents. Interestingly it was found that some would rather starve themselves preferring the comfort over sustenance. Humans are social creatures, so I don't think we'd get very far reproducing asexually. :P

Lack of genetic diversity aside, is asexual reproduction even something we'd have a choice in? If it was an automatic process, we'd be in very big trouble. lol

We'd probably have all died out due to a disease that we wouldn't have evolved resistance to because our genes would always be the same.  Humans probably never would have come about in the first place because we wouldn't have evolved into this.

Plus I'd miss out on all those cute butts!

• Brohoof 1

What fun would that be?

More seriously, having two sets of genes helps with diversity. With humans having relatively robust life spans, as opposed to things that currently reproduce asexually, it would be for the best if this wasn't ever a thing.

+ Hey, at least I won't have to worry about pregnancy pain- probably? Unless it hurts a lot ?

+ No genders! yay! Well, to an extent that's nice.

Yeah... no? I may not like the idea of giving birth but sex stuff is rad. Diversity is also a plus.

I believe there are insects who can reproduce by themself. I guess in a way you are both genders in a way. I guess there is a biological reason to why there is male and female.

Well atleast feminism and men's rights movement will be solved that way. Since now they are all one gender :)

Making both sides happy.

Edited by Finia

is it sad or hilarious that I find spongebob quotes to be so useful in situations like this? :lol:

I literally quote SpongeBob in almost any situation... I was doing "things" with my girlfriend and I was like... "Are you feeling it now?" xD
  • Brohoof 1