Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

movies/tv Anypony know of any good animes that are not rated MA?

SixShooterOutlaw

I have been thinking about getting into Anime but I don't want to watch one that is sexual (like nudity or sex) or overly violent ( a little action is fine though) or graphic (like blood and gore).

Any recommendations?

Thanks

Edited by SixShooterOutlaw
  • Brohoof 1

Well, it depends on where you draw the line with violence, but both Fullmetal Alchemist series are highly recommended, and are easily my favourite shonen type series as I like neither anime that runs for over 100 episodes with filler to pad it out, nor series that fail to properly micromanage their extended cast. I can deal with a few shonen tropes here and there, and at least the trope where the protagonist looks like he/she is about to lose and then manages to win at the last minute is not overused in FMA as that is easily one of my least favourite anime tropes. Truth be told Brotherhood in particular is longer than my usual preferred episode range, but they're both more than worth checking out. I prefer Brotherhood, but I think the original anime is better to start with as Brotherhood kind of rushes through a lot of shared plot points with that series.

On the flip side, Magic Knight Rayearth is my favourite Maho Shoujo series as it's not overly flamboyant or lovey dovey. It's not even the type of story where the main characters have to be girls for it to work. The first season is actually pretty cliched up until a plot twist at the end, with the fact that the main trio are girls being the only non-cliched aspect, but the characters are likeable, and it's an entertaining fantasy adventure type series. The second season is head and shoulders above the first though, and is the main reason why I'm fond of it.

If you like slice of life series, I recommend Kanon. It shares some similarities with adaptations of other Key IPs, such as Air and Clannad, but I think Kanon is the best paced out of the three series, and has the most entertaining cast of characters. If you like weirdness, Fooly Cooly can't be topped. There's a little bit of innuendo in the series, but nothing over the top and while it's technically just a boy's coming of age story, it's the how that makes the series engaging, not the what. It's only six episodes long if you watch the unabridged version, which is the one I would recommend, but it's just so weird it's hard not to think of it as memorable. It's also fairly comedic, so there's that. Gunslinger Girl is my favourite tragedy, but most of the series only exists in manga form, though I would recommend checking out the first season of the anime. If you like enjoyably stupid anime, Elemental Gelade is highly recommended. If you like comedies with adventure aspects and have an affinity for videogames, I'm quite fond of The World God Only Knows. Stein's Gate is my favourite sci-fi series, I think.

To be honest, I really don't have a favourite anime genre, and it's hard to pick an overall favourite, so I generally just go by my favourites of a particular genre. I'm actually the same with videogames. Anyways, I hope something stands out to you in my not nearly exhaustive list. I can recommend more if you would like. I'm kind of a casual anime fan, mind you so maybe someone else will have more recommendations.

I'm watching and enjoying Futari wa Pretty Cure right now. It's a magical girl anime. It has some fighting, but isn't very violent at all. Also, nothing sexual about it.  The closest it gets is one of the main characters has a crush and one lady has a skin tight outfit with some cleavage, but really all of it is innocent. I really like the two main characters and it has made me laugh, plus the opening and ending credits are catchy tunes.

Puella Magi Madoka Magica is a great anime that's not extremely violent, and there's little to no sexual content.

That will probably be the least of SixShooterOutlaw's concerns.  

omg i love madoka magica! that show is so kawaii :3 mami is my fav <3

Edited by SpaceOnion
  • Brohoof 1

Are there any good anime that is popular but isn't overly violent (I like action, but not tons of violence, guns and stuff like that is fine, a little violence is alright as long as it's not mindless ) and graphic (like a lot of blood, gore, nudity or sex)? I would really like to know!

Thanks 

Hi there @@SixShooterOutlaw, as you've already created an identical thread to this I have merged the two together. Please make sure you continue to use older threads rather than creating new ones if possible.

• Brohoof 1

K-On as well. There is very little that is offensive about it, It's mostly just a cute and funny show. At least Season 1 was, Season 2 seemed to be super polarizing. Nagi no Asakura as well. Also super polarizing but imo the story and animation are top notch.

Man now that I think about it I don't know many non-violent/sexual anime...

• Brohoof 2

Nagi no Asakura as well. Also super polarizing but imo the story and animation are top notch.

Man now that I think about it I don't know many non-violent/sexual anime...

Oh 

Oh.. Oh my gosh. Someone mentioned.. Someone mentioned Nagi-Asu

;w; This anime is by far a favorite. Nagi no Asukara: A Lull in the Sea is absolutely beautiful, in story and in art OH AND IN MUSIC. It is one of the anime that I never really stop thinking about because it has captivated me and I never wanted it to end. Also... the FEELS 

large.gif tumblr_nq9l14pNUx1u2kjteo1_500.gif

Edit: pls help i was reminded and the feels have been brought back ;~;

I'm going to vouch for Madoka Magica myself, after a friend watched it. He recommended the show to me, and I watched it. Sure enough, I enjoyed it even if the series was only twelve episodes long.

The Big O is pretty much the only anime I like. It's basically Batman + Film Noir + Giant Robots. It's about the least anime-y anime you'll ever see, though; the only reason it got a second season is because America liked it so much (though the first season is better than the second in my humble opinion). PG-13

Cowboy Bebop is in a similar vein. Not terribly anime-y, but I'd say more so than Big O. From what I've seen, it's about a bounty hunter and his "pals", chronicling their escapades around the Solar System. Not seen much, but I liked what I saw. Unsure of the rating, but can't imagine it'd be MA.

A lot of my friends would recommend Full Metal Alchemist / Brotherhood, Angel Beats (will make you cri evry tim from what I've heard), and Kill la Kill. I know next to nothing about those, though. They're a bit to anime-y for me.

Edited by Golurk

eAKNvDXY_400x400.jpg

Nope. I'm afraid Larson's already gotten his hands on all of them.

Seriously, though, I would recommend Inuyasha. I was never really into any anime, and that one managed to keep my interest, so that says something about it.

A really good one that I recommend is Trigun. It is of the TV14 category and it does have some violence, some innuendos, and the like, but it is not filled with that stuff. A lot of it is actually rather light hearted because of the main character. Don't want to spoil anything of course but iit is one I would suggest giving a look. :)

• Brohoof 1

as others suggested Madoka Magica is absolutely amazing, there isn't any blood or gore, and it isn't sexual at all, but I warn you the plot darkens alot form when the show starts, it is one of the few shows I can honestly say fundamentally changed me for the better, it is a very emotional show though and there will be tears., another one I recommend is Card Captor Sakura, Cowboy Beebop (that might actually be MA for language), and Sailor Moon.

I'd recommend:

- Glass Mask

- Hime-chan's Ribbon

- Kimi ni Todoke

- Lovely Complex

- Mujin Wakusei Survive

All fantastic shows, and with no violence at all.  Most of these are shoujo, and very light-hearted.  If you're looking to laugh, I highly recommend Lovely Complex.  If you're looking for more of a drama, watch Glass Mask.

Edited by Lauriferous

• 9 months later...
(edited)

Wow so many recommendations! :o

A little update on my suggestions search

foul language is not much of an issue and a little blood isn't bad (excessive blood and gore is though)

and about the rating, I might change my mind on the "no rated MA" thing depending on why it is, such as foul language (not much of an issue) excessive blood and gore (No way, I don't like that).

Thanks everypony!

Edited by SixShooterOutlaw