Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you honestly think the brony fandom should never be criticized or mocked?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

Im guessing that mocked and criticized are bad in this context, so my answer will be for that. And the answer is yes, because no one, thing, or thought should be criticized or mocked (in a bad way). The world we live in today just accepts this as something that's normal, which isn't good, because we shouldn't do it.

Constructive criticism sure. I'm not gonna say there aren't things that can be in this fandom. There is in every fandom. But there is a difference between a Criticism. And just plain attacking the fandom and throwing a Hissy Fit. 

Not gonna name names but a certain Ex-Brony crossed this line in his last Pony related video. 

Now mocking? I'm not sure what you mean by that. Good natured Ribbing? Or what some wiki sites do which is devolve into Juvenile name calling and relying on outdated Misconceptions of  Gender typing and other crap like that? Cause there's...not really anything we can do about that. Other then downvote and just not go to those places. 

Well of course we should, but for the right reasons. For instance, the juxtaposition of traditional masculine qualities when compared to our hobby a la the Ugly Duckling ruffians from Tangled? That's fair game. Accusing us of being pedophiles is not only untrue it's just plain bad taste.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think the question should be whether or not the fandom should be criticized or mocked because let's be honest; no matter what we say or do, it's gonna happen. It's the exact same thing as the alleged "bullying epidemic" in U.S. schools. It's always gonna happen no matter what, it's up to the individual how to handle it.

The problem with the brony community in this case is that despite how much we say that the people who give it a bad name are the minority, they're really not. They're a much bigger issue than we like to admit because we want to sweep them under the rug in an attempt to separate ourselves from them as much as possible. And I have to be honest, I think that the brony community as a whole kinda has what we get coming to us. I've been a part of many fandoms in my time, but I have never in my life seen the level of hate and disgust that is generated from within this fandom. I mean, I rage-quit the Naruto fandom back in the day, but I didn't blame the fandom itself for it. Just about every MLP analyst I've seen quit the fandom has blamed the fandom itself. Let that sink in, the level of disgust and hate within the fandom actually drives people who love the show away from it. If you don't believe me about hate in the fandom, just google Purple Tinker to get a taste.

There's an epidemic of hate in this fandom and I think it's killing it. We need to acknowledge how big an issue this is instead of just trying to sweep it under the rug. I think we well know by now that hasn't worked.

• Brohoof 2

If criticisms are valid or even partially valid it's worth looking into. To advocate an atmosphere of no criticism is to advocate an "anything goes" mentality.

There is nothing that is ever exempt from criticism. Without it, these things would never change or evolve. Someone, somewhere is going to have something they don't appreciate about the fandom and will not miss an opportunity to decry it.

I used to be a hater of this show a long time ago. Then some shit happened and I became a vengeful hateful person who really wasn't fun to be around. Due to mockery and criticism I just became more of a dick. Then some of my friends told me they were a brony. I didn't hate them. After going through a gauntlet of hate and criticism I knew what it felt like to be hated for stupid reasons. So I (reluctantly) watched the show. One thing lead to another and here I am. Basically what I'm trying to say is that me as a person was forged in the fires and flames of mount hateful-dickweed, making me a better and stronger person. So I think mockery and criticism is good, until it kills someone.

That would be hard to do...have you seen some of these bronies? XP

Seriously though, people have the right to mock or criticise whatever they want. Its just them exercising free speech. When mocking or criticism comes from a good place, its fine. Like if another brony or one of your friends mocks you for liking a show for little girls.

When people on the internet mock you, who cares? 9/10 they wouldnt mock you in real life cause they are too scared to accidentally mock a buff dude who would wreck them in one punch. 

Real life mocking, criticism can be dealt with however you would normally. If you are talking about hateful mockery and criticism in real life, then distance yourself from those people.

[quote name="Prince Firemane" post="4016138" timestamp="1439408441And I have to be honest, I think that the brony community as a whole kinda has what we get coming to us. I've been a part of many fandoms in my time, but I have never in my life seen the level of hate and disgust that is generated from within this fandom. I mean, I rage-quit the Naruto fandom back in the day, but I didn't blame the fandom itself for it. Just about every MLP analyst I've seen quit the fandom has blamed the fandom itself. Let that sink in, the level of disgust and hate within the fandom actually drives people who love the show away from it. If you don't believe me about hate in the fandom, just google Purple Tinker to get a taste.

My option on that differs slightly. I have been in many fandom as well and this drama is kinda the standard. Ever seen the Sonic fandom before? The thing that really makes this fandom stand out to me is how united we are. Fan names and connon are more then less universally accepted by the fans. The Transformer fandom can't even decided who that blue are is. From my point of view we edge out a little ahead of other fandoms based on that alone.