Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

ooc [CLOSED] Whisper: The City of Darkness (Exploration, Horror, Action/Adventure)

Once In A Blue Moon

@@Orion Caelum, @@Unicorncob, @@Once In A Blue Moon, @@Pucksterv, Well, we have an issue.

UnicornFilly has come to a bad end and is no longer with us on the forums. I'm not sure why, or how (and, even if I did, I wouldn't know why or how ;) ) but I'm not sure what to do at this point, especially since she was the one with the information. We have three options.

1) We figure out some way to kill her in some way logically. This would be me temporarily taking control of the character and perhaps using her. I'm sure she wouldn't have an issue with that, especially since she has come to a bad end.

2) I Word of God her out, we all completely forget about Marble, and we continue on as normal, with Trivy recieving the words in her head instead of Marble. And we just forget about it. It'll break most of the pacing that I have, and it'll be kinda awkward, but it'll work.

3) I go into the realm of Moderatorship and request a tactical friendship nuke on the old thread. Then after a 24-48 hour wait to potentially get some new people here, I restart the roleplay. This would be a complete restart and kinda painful for all of us, but it would allow me to try a different approach to the roleplay as well as allow Orion to participate in the opening actions of the roleplay more than as a body.

I'm gonna wait for you all to cast your ballots. :P

I also have two more points- One, I'm leaving in about three and a half hours and not coming back for the rest of the day, and two, how are you liking the roleplay? Or, if we decide to shoot it, did like the roleplay?

• Brohoof 1

'm gonna wait for you all to cast your ballots. 

I also have two more points- One, I'm leaving in about three and a half hours and not coming back for the rest of the day, and two, how are you liking the roleplay? Or, if we decide to shoot it, did like the roleplay?

I'm down with option 1 or 2. Option 3 seems a bit extreme. And I'm really liking the roleplay so far :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Option 1 is my clear favorite, followed by 2 and then with 3 as a last resort.

. However, the crystal I am imprisoned is acting as a... focus for the shield, making it more powerful and permanent. As soon as you destroy it, I'll do you a favor and dispel the remainder of the shield,

If our unicorns can find some time to study the shield, then they might be able to lead us to the crystal and work out that destroying it will bring down the shield without the above conversation. (Assuming that we do decide to destroy it, of course - I can't imagine that Bramble will be terribly impressed with the idea of bringing down the shield and unleashing the invading ghoulies upon Equestria, but we can leave that delicious section of RPing for the appropriate time.)

I'm really enjoying the RP - thus far events have moved us forwards but not really constrained us, which gives a real sense of freedom.

• Brohoof 1

If our unicorns can find some time to study the shield, then they might be able to lead us to the crystal and work out that destroying it will bring down the shield without the above conversation. (Assuming that we do decide to destroy it, of course - I can't imagine that Bramble will be terribly impressed with the idea of bringing down the shield and unleashing the invading ghoulies upon Equestria, but we can leave that delicious section of RPing for the appropriate time.)

I'm really enjoying the RP - thus far events have moved us forwards but not really constrained us, which gives a real sense of freedom.

Not necessarily the unicorns only; if you give Wilhelm enough time, he could probably work out a theoretical explanation for the shield; as it is, given the nature of the creatures, its appearance, and the lack or addition of a few other features, he figured out the general -idea- of the shield.

In any case, I approve of Option #1. Either we have the mutated ones eat Marble, or we pull the time-honored ruins-from-above death.

• Brohoof 1

Not necessarily the unicorns only; if you give Wilhelm enough time, he could probably work out a theoretical explanation for the shield; as it is, given the nature of the creatures, its appearance, and the lack or addition of a few other features, he figured out the general -idea- of the shield.

In any case, I approve of Option #1. Either we have the mutated ones eat Marble, or we pull the time-honored ruins-from-above death.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Entirely true, although I was thinking of the unicorns being able to detect lines of magic powering the shield, rather like a plasma globe, and that they could follow them to the centre. Other possibilities would be a sudden bolt of visible magical energy zapping from the crystal to the shield wall - burning everything in its way (possibly including a certain bat pony) which points us in the right direction and suggests that we have a very limited amount of time before it all goes bang; the small mare might mention a voice in her head that talked of a crystal that needed to be destroyed... I think that there are a lot of ways that this can be done that actually develop the world.

Edit:

As you continue to examine the force field, you notice a view waves of energy that brings it into vision for a few, brief second before disappearing. Following where this came from, you notice a small beam of energy slowly fade from somewhere in the middle of the city. Whatever the beam was, it both touched the force field directly and had somehow reinforced it.

There we go - we have our lead.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)
the saber was pulled out of its scabbard, and Wilhelm held it in front of him in a ready position, wings flared backwards

Could we have some clarification for how swords work 'in this universe'? Are they held in the mouth or the hoof, and how much do they restrict the bearer's actions? One could argue that if they are held in the hoof, the pony can't move very far or very quickly; or instead one could argue that they are designed so that the bearer can still walk with the hoof they are wielded in. Either (or something else entirely) is fine, but we should all have the same idea.

And whilst I'm asking technical questions, I should probably ask about the sleep requirements. In real life, horses (and thus ponies) only require a few hours of sleep per day, and usually in short intervals (as in only a few minutes.) Conversely, in the show ponies appear to adhere to the same 8 hour long sleep schedule that humans use. I bring this up since the former is more suited to the 24/7 twilight, and it means that members of the group could have a discussion whilst one of the players isn't able to respond - in game, their character is having a quick nap.

Edited by Once In A Blue Moon
  • Brohoof 1

Could we have some clarification for how swords work 'in this universe'? Are they held in the mouth or the hoof, and how much do they restrict the bearer's actions? One could argue that if they are held in the hoof, the pony can't move very far or very quickly; or instead one could argue that they are designed so that the bearer can still walk with the hoof they are wielded in. Either (or something else entirely) is fine, but we should all have the same idea.

And whilst I'm asking technical questions, I should probably ask about the sleep requirements. In real life, horses (and thus ponies) only require a few hours of sleep per day, and usually in short intervals (as in only a few minutes.) Conversely, in the show ponies appear to adhere to the same 8 hour long sleep schedule that humans use. I bring this up since the former is more suited to the 24/7 twilight, and it means that members of the group could have a discussion whilst one of the players isn't able to respond - in game, their character is having a quick nap.

The way I think of it is that Wilhelm, being a pegasus, can use his wings to move around, and as such, his sword is held in a brace around his hoof. (I chose a saber because of its handguard, which is uniquely suited for modification for pony use. And I actually fence using a saber, so I know how it works.) 

Unicorns use their magic (their swords are likely all blade, since they have no need for a hilt), and I would think that Earth Ponies use their mouths, and the hilt of the sword is somewhat like just a stick.

As for the sleep issue, I can't claim to have any bearing on that.

• Brohoof 1

The way I think of it is that Wilhelm, being a pegasus, can use his wings to move around, and as such, his sword is held in a brace around his hoof. (I chose a saber because of its handguard, which is uniquely suited for modification for pony use. And I actually fence using a saber, so I know how it works.) 

Unicorns use their magic (their swords are likely all blade, since they have no need for a hilt), and I would think that Earth Ponies use their mouths, and the hilt of the sword is somewhat like just a stick.

As for the sleep issue, I can't claim to have any bearing on that.

Could we have some clarification for how swords work 'in this universe'? Are they held in the mouth or the hoof, and how much do they restrict the bearer's actions? One could argue that if they are held in the hoof, the pony can't move very far or very quickly; or instead one could argue that they are designed so that the bearer can still walk with the hoof they are wielded in. Either (or something else entirely) is fine, but we should probably all have the same idea.

And whilst I'm asking technical question, I should probably ask about the sleep requirements. In real life, horses (and thus ponies) only require a few hours of sleep per day, and usually in short intervals (as in only a few minutes.) Conversely, in the show ponies appear to adhere to the same 8 hour long sleep schedule that humans use. I bring this up since the former is more suited to the 24/7 twilight, and it means that members of the group could have a discussion whilst one of the players isn't able to respond - in game, their character is having a quick nap.

You know, you're the first person to have asked me these question. Most take it for granted. I applaud you, sir.

There are two styles of swords- one is held in the mouth, which is more traditional and mainly seen as a tactic used by 'older' swordsponies- however, it allows you to take more of a defensive stance, as well as not slow your movement down- that is, unless, you have a huge sword. The sword is designed that you can talk well enough where there is no noticeable impediment- I wouldn't want to be saying a demon's true name with one in my mouth, though.

The second style of sword is attached to one's hoof in a bracer-like fashion. It is easy enough to put on, only requiring a small amount of pressure to be applied to the bottom of the bracer-glove to cause the mechanism to snap closed, yet requires a few minutes to take off without damaging. (This would be what Wilhelm has, albeit potentially modified) It allows for more offensive maneuvers, but slows the user down unless they also risk damage to the blade (unless they are flying, of course). In addition, blocking becomes a bit more of a challenge due to the limited maneuverability of the forehoof in certain directions.

Your sleep schedule is mainly up to you. Most ponies usually slept 8 hours, but this was before the Princesses died and the land became cloaked in eternal twilight, thus making most ponies mess up or modify their schedules. But yes, 8 hours a day used to be the regular sleep period forever ago, although you might have changed yours up/grown used to sleeping for less time.

• Brohoof 2

a small stagnant pond in the middle of the grove

oil floating in the part of the pond that is closest to the pool

I don't quite follow the description - does this mean that there is a pool of oil, some of which has spilled into the bit of the pond that it is closest to? It probably doesn't matter, but a pool of strange (or even mundane) oil would be of note.

I don't quite follow the description - does this mean that there is a pool of oil, some of which has spilled into the bit of the pond that it is closest to? It probably doesn't matter, but a pool of strange (or even mundane) oil would be of note.

My bad. I meant 'closest to the shield;' my brain was kinda being that way on me.  :blush:

There's a big, seemingly fresh pool with some kinda of oily, lighter-than-water substance floating in one corner of it. I'll go edit for clarity.

• 2 weeks later...

either we've got stuck at a point where everyone expects someone else to do something or we've just run out of steam.

I personally think it's the first option (at least it is in my case) but let's check.

@@Pucksterv, @@Orion Caelum, @@Unicorncob,

Do enough of you care enough for me to try and keep this going with a random encounter of some sort, or do we shoot this with a bolt pistol and walk away?

• Brohoof 1

I'm just kind of... Waiting for something to write about.

@

Sound like you need to prod and poke us along a bit more, or find a more urgent reason for us to get up and do something. After all, a moment of laxity spawns a lifetime of heresy staring at a pool of water.

• Brohoof 2