Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Can anyone explain D&D?

Nit Pick

My little brother and I can not figure out how D&D works. Are there any good tutorial videos or text guides that explain stuff in a condensed format?

Pretty sure there's not a thread like this. I checked Google.

↓Edits↓

We're learning the basic concept so we can start playing with a group of friends or family.

What I'd REALLY like to know is how the math part works. How the d20 system works in the most straightest explanation possible.

Edited by Nit Pick

Well "condensed format" might be stretching it. The game is at once complex and simple depending on how you want to play it. For one thing if you are planning on just playing it with your brother, don't. The game is not meant to be played with only two people it's meant for a small to medium group of friends.

Secondly, let me elucidate the basic format. One player takes on the role of the DM, the dungeon master, while the other players control characters that they create. The DM creates the world, tells the story, provides context, puts obstacles in the way of the other players, and acts as a kind of referee. While the players act on the world put before them to whatever extent they can.

It's like imagination games, but with rules to keep it fair and fun. For instance you can attempt to do damn near anything. The DM could put you at the entrance to a town where the story is and your party could turn right around and leave. The thing is though, during character creation, you impose your characters limits as well as their strengths, so not every task is going to be possible.

Nor can the DM just say you all die from a death spell . . . well he can but he's a bad DM. The DM provides the obstacles, acting as both the author of the story as well it's antagonist.

D&D typically involves black hooded robed men gathering at night, generally with some Cheetos or other snack of choice.

As Questioner said earlier, it's hard to get into the game without someone as the DM.

It IS possible, but I suggest buying the books that accompany the game to get a better understanding. I believe you can get a few basic gists of the game on the D&D official website.

The site will recommend the books you need, which you can find in a few game shops. But you'll run into serious problems without the guides. :P

The book knows all! Well, it's actually a collection of 3. You can probably pick em' up for $30 each.

• Brohoof 2

It's hard to get into D&D without someone with experience as DM. The details on how it works also differs depending on edition.

And how does one get that experience? By doing it. It's not impossible to start from scratch, particularly 4th edition is very beginner friendly, but a single player and a DM is just missing the richness of the experience.

D&D typically involves black hooded robed men gathering at night, generally with some Cheetos or other snack of choice.

As Questioner said earlier, it's hard to get into the game without someone as the DM.

It IS possible, but I suggest buying the books that accompany the game to get a better understanding. I believe you can get a few basic gists of the game on the D&D official website.

The site will recommend the books you need, which you can find in a few game shops. But you'll run into serious problems without the guides. :P

The book knows all! Well, it's actually a collection of 3. You can probably pick em' up for $30 each.

Yeah I can't stress enough, you really do need to read the books to get the game.

The Player's Handbook, Dungeon Master's Guide, and Monster Manual. (The last one is questionably necessary as one can get the stats for monsters online but it's good to have just as a complete set and so you can just skim it for monster ideas.)

• Brohoof 1

And how does one get that experience? By doing it. It's not impossible to start from scratch, particularly 4th edition is very beginner friendly, but a single player and a DM is just missing the richness of the experience.

The best way is to find and join other, more experienced players.

Sure, it's not impossible to start with a entirely inexperienced group, but it helps a lot to have at least one person there who already knows the game, it'll speed things up.

• Brohoof 1

The best way is to find and join other, more experienced players.

Sure, it's not impossible to start with a entirely inexperienced group, but it helps a lot to have at least one person there who already knows the game, it'll speed things up.

Especially if that guy is the DM. Wish I could do that.  :adorkable:

For one thing if you are planning on just playing it with your brother, don't. The game is not meant to be played with only two people it's meant for a small to medium group of friends.

Right, I forgot to type that part. We were trying to learn it so that we can gather a group of his friends (or our family) so we can experience it.

• Brohoof 1

Right, I forgot to type that part. We were trying to learn it so that we can gather a group of his friends (or our family) so we can experience it.

There you go! Trust me, it's a little ways to get the hang of, but once you are in the swing of it, there are few experiences that are as immersive, fun, and bonding as a session of D&D.

Well "condensed format" might be stretching it. The game is at once complex and simple depending on how you want to play it. For one thing if you are planning on just playing it with your brother, don't. The game is not meant to be played with only two people it's meant for a small to medium group of friends.

Secondly, let me elucidate the basic format. One player takes on the role of the DM, the dungeon master, while the other players control characters that they create. The DM creates the world, tells the story, provides context, puts obstacles in the way of the other players, and acts as a kind of referee. While the players act on the world put before them to whatever extent they can.

It's like imagination games, but with rules to keep it fair and fun. For instance you can attempt to do damn near anything. The DM could put you at the entrance to a town where the story is and your party could turn right around and leave. The thing is though, during character creation, you impose your characters limits as well as their strengths, so not every task is going to be possible.

Nor can the DM just say you all die from a death spell . . . well he can but he's a bad DM. The DM provides the obstacles, acting as both the author of the story as well it's antagonist.

I didn't know you played DnD, I've been wanting to have a solid go at it for ages, all of my previous attempts with people have been very VERY casual. 

And yes the DM makes or breaks the game for folks. Adhering to the rules is important, but its equally important to know when bending those rules can make for a more enjoyable and memorable experience. 

• Brohoof 1