Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

member q+a Nervous Stitch Q&A

Simon

Seems to be hard to get a word in edgewise around the Q&A meelee here. :)

Anyway, this is obviously a craft you feel very strongly for and have an amazing amount of aptitude for as well. My question is about your enjoyment and level of self- fulfillment in your work. Do you gain more satisfaction by being pushed to more challenging designs rather than the ones that are more simple? Meaning is it more satisfying than frustrating?

I'm a big fan of your work, keep it up!

• Brohoof 1

Hello there, miss Buffy  :derp:

what advice would you give to someone wanting to reach out to the Admin Overlords Team?

They honestly all seem  :okiedokielokie: like genuinely nice folk and there's absolutely no reason to hesitate at all to bother them incessantly. I cannot tell you how many times I've had questions and, while it's in my nature to be a little scared to ask, I'm always met with kindness. It's really, really awesome. It's helpful too that a lot of the business-y part is in MLPF hands, so it's not a big concern to me right now. Being able to conduct business without having to worry about payment not coming through or any other mishaps..it's a nice introduction into being a paid artist. If you're seriously thinking about starting up a commission shop, go for it! Theres a lot of artists here and less paid artists. There's no expense, just a possible income for yourself and your favorite forum :ooh: 

Also ... I hear you may have some super secret project in the works. Excited?

What? Me? Super secret project? Pssh. You must be mistaken. ;)  Sooo excited.

Do you gain more satisfaction by being pushed to more challenging designs rather than the ones that are more simple? Meaning is it more satisfying than frustrating?

Very much so! I enjoy slightly struggling with something. Not the the point of having no clue how to approach something, but perhaps having to try a few new things or approach something differently, that's where it becomes fun. Sadly, the more adventurous the project, the more it costs, and I don't always get really hard and challenging plushies  :lol:  I guess that's what personal projects are for! Sometimes it's a little frustrating, but for the most part, it's very satisfying.

• Brohoof 1

your a big sports enthusiast. Which is your favorite?

Go Sports! I like the..blue..wolves..or something. Blue Wolves sound like a nice sports team.

new profile picture, what do you think of the picutre, as well as the characters in the picture?

It is very super cute, but also a pretty interesting ship :derp:  Poor Flash Sentry gets so much hate..it's good someone loves him  :icwudt:

Thanks for the answer! Kind of as a follow up, you mentioned that you use a lot of your hand-sewing time to get caught up on Netflix and the like. On a typical plushie, how much work is done by hand versus on the machine? What about the more complicated designs? What would you estimate to be your time commitment for a complicated plushie with a high number of accessories such as the totally amazing Littlepip you pulled off a bit ago? ;)

On a typical plushie, how much work is done by hand versus on the machine?

I would say about half my time is spent on the machine and half by hand. That said, I probably do 90% of the stitches on the machine. Hand sewing is slooow. Even with more complex designs, the ratio stays about the same. Some accessories like saddlebags are very hand sewing heavy, though.

What would you estimate to be your time commitment for a complicated plushie with a high number of accessories such as the totally amazing Littlepip you pulled off a bit ago?

Oh my, hmm. I try to time my plushie work, but I do a lot of things while doing plushies and I do plushies while doing a lot of other things. Probably around 60 hours on Littlepip. With her commissioner talking my ear off the entire time, perhaps 80, but I digress.  ;)

Good to know! Given that when people talk to you about the plushies they're commissioning or just chatting your ear off as you so sweetly put it I had another question ;)

You said you like working with the commissioners and making folk hapoy, given how personal your business is--making OCs which by definition are quite original--what level of involvement do you like? Do you like your commissioner letting you run on your own with your artistic freedom to guide you or do you prefer to have them in bear constant contact offering excited ideas and asking suggestions?

Seems like a fine line to balance the time commitment with making such amazing plushies ;)

what level of involvement do you like? Do you like your commissioner letting you run on your own with your artistic freedom to guide you or do you prefer to have them in bear constant contact offering excited ideas and asking suggestions?

Honestly, the more involvement, the better. I enjoy being able to work with someone and it's another project learning to create another's vision. Making friends through plushies is also pretty awesome :)

Not to hog the floor or anything but do you see yourself continuing to sew and maybe do plushies after college? Think this is going to stick with you after graduation when work starts taking over your time?

And do you prefer the term seamstress or sewer? Or quite honestly something else entirely :)

Floor is open  :lol:

do you see yourself continuing to sew and maybe do plushies after college?

I really, really hope so. At least sew. It's a skill I'd like to be able to put in use with my future children, as silly as that sounds.

Think this is going to stick with you after graduation when work starts taking over your time?

Work? Like..a job? What? Don't be silly.

And do you prefer the term seamstress or sewer?

Either is fine :lol: I answer to most anything these days. 

• Brohoof 2

So we know you hate doing hooves, what's your favorite part of a plushies to do or does it change depending on the design? Do you imagine having any more interesting projects like the goat(?) You mentioned earlier?

*Speaks the thing that must never be spoken D:* What is your opinion about international shipping? (nah, that was a joke, you have already made that clear to me cx)

Do you ever participate in the booping thread? 

If not, would you do so, or do you not want to be booped back  :dash:?

• Brohoof 1

what's your favorite part of a plushies to do or does it change depending on the design?

Besides accessories, I think my favorite part is just the face. I usually do that first and set the heads above my desk so they're...lovingly..looking at me, reminding me that they need a body. It sounds creepy when I put it like that!

Do you imagine having any more interesting projects like the goat(?) You mentioned earlier?

I would be surprised if I didn't! Most people who want plushies are interested in OCs they've developed for a long time or really special characters to them, so it usually turns out pretty complex and unique. Can't complain. 

Do you ever participate in the booping thread?

Boo..Booping thread? We have a booping thread? I don't travel through forum games/Cloudsdale much. I'll check this out.

If not, would you do so, or do you not want to be booped back  ?

There comes a time in everypony's life where it's time to be the boopee, and not the booper.  

• Brohoof 2

Do you interact a lot with members here on the forums or do you mostly keep to certain threads :)

What do you think of "Build a Bear Workshop"  ^_^?

• Brohoof 1

Do you interact a lot with members here on the forums or do you mostly keep to certain threads ? 

I usually keep to certain threads :) I'm a fairly quiet forum goer..I do a lot of reading, but not much posting!

What do you think of "Build a Bear Workshop"  ?

It's a very cute idea, I used to love it when I was a little girl. It's also a very expensive idea. They market it to children so well, though. I think I still have a black lab I got from there when I was smaller :) 

• Brohoof 3

Hello again! I wanted to ask another question if you don't mind. :squee: do you take commissions of oc's more often, or of canon ponies more often? Also, which do you prefer doing if you have a preference.

• Brohoof 1

Of course I don't mind! :)

do you take commissions of oc's more often, or of canon ponies more often? Also, which do you prefer doing if you have a preference.

Usually OCs, really, There are some decent canon plushies that are a lot more affordable that usually satisfy most people. I honestly prefer doing OCs, although I don't mind canon. OCs are a little more personal and relies a lot more on the vision of the person and my interpretation of their character, haha. Although, new canon characters allows me to plush them once, draft a mane/tail, and then forever have a working mane/tail pattern, making the next plushie of them a little better/easier :) 

• Brohoof 2

Favorite Pony?

Luna :) Or Cheery Jubilee. Her design is so pretty.

Favorite Episode?

Sonic Rainboom. It was such a nice balance of all the characters, it really worked out nice.

Play any instruments?

I used to play the saxophone, but I am not a very musical person in general...I have great respect for musicians!

How long does it take you to make a plush?

Anywhere from 30 to 60 hours, really. It's a time consuming process! I bet I could churn out a really, really bad pony in about 5, though.  :lol:

Turning in for the night. Think this Q&A is open for questions for about 9 more hours. If there are any overnight, I'll answer them tomorrow morning :)

If not, thank you all a ton for hosting me here and asking me a ton of questions! If you ever have anything else to ask, please shoot me a PM - I'm a pretty open book!

Edited by Nervous Stitch
  • Brohoof 3

Do you intend to expand to further frontiers with your work? And by this I mean if you plan on giving a try to other fandoms and/or interests? It would be pleasant to see you and your art develop with new challenges.