Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do smileys and writing style make a difference?

碇 シンジン

For case 1 and 2 I'd probably reply in the same way but my response for 3 - 5 would be incrementally larger degrees of "Really?". On the subject of smileys/emoticons in general, I find them helpful to convey a tone like sarcasm, but they can easily be overdone.

• Brohoof 3

Yes it does! Smileys were made to give our messages a tone. :)

Same for writing style, someone with a good writing style will be taken more seriously than someone who writes "hi its nice to meet u m8".

Also, case 2 is the best.

Case 4 is very @ooBrony-like.

Case 5 is weird but funny, too many smileys can be annoying/not serious.

• Brohoof 2

They way I use emoticons (Frequently i might add :P) is to add feeling to sentences, but there's no need to stack them xD

In my opinion.. having it as "Hi :) "

Is no different from "Hi :) :) :) " as it's the same smiley thing.. to to show you're more happy you could instead do "Hi :D ", "Hi ^_^ " or (my favorite) "Hi ⁿ-ⁿ"

But yeah.. keep doing it the way you are ooBrony, it gives your posts more uniqueness ;)

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 1

A smiley makes all the difference:

Hello, it's nice to meet you. vs. Hello, it's nice to meet you. c:

Along with that, the lack of periods makes the sentence makes a difference too:

Hello, it's nice to meet you. vs Hello it's nice to meet you

Also, the wording of a statement makes a huge difference:

Hello, it's nice to meet you. vs. Hi, it's nice to meet you.

Finally, you got the different punctuation that make a difference:

Hello, it's nice to meet you. vs Hello, it's nice to meet you!

To sound more casual, I tend to go for a more:

hi, it's nice to meet you! c:

If you're going for something serious, it'd be more:

Hi, it's nice to meet you. 
(but it makes you sound rather icy.)

Personally, I find too many emoticons can be overkill/make you sound wayyy too happy- at least, when I try to do it:

Hi, it's nice to meet you! :D :D :D :D :D

• Brohoof 5

For case 1, it's funny, the full stop make me nervous if that was used in an online conversation, as if someone is being deadly serious with me. Number two is nice and friendly, what I would probably do, and 3 4 and 5 are also friendly too, though I would only use them if they fitted my personality.

• Brohoof 1

Does it make difference how you react or respond to the person if you see message from them in different styles?

Here is same message written in different ways? Would you respond to all of these in same way? 

Case 1

Hello it's nice to meet you.

Case 2

Hello =) It's nice to meet you =)

Case 3

Hello =)=)=)! Its nice to meet you =)=)=)=)=)=)=)!

Case 4

=)=)=)=)Hello!! =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=) It's Nice To Meet You =)=)=)=)=)=)!!

Case 5 

=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)HELLO!!!!!!!!=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=) ITS NICE ==)=)=)=)=)=)=)=))==)=)=)=)=)=) TO!!!! =)=)=)=)=)=) MEET!! =)=)=)=)=)=)=) YOU =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My thoughts:

1. This is a kind of serious person, they might have a drier sense of humor, up for serious discussion

2-5. this person is EXTREMELY HAPPY!

I'd probably respond to them all the same way, smileys haven't really been my thing for years and I sparsely use them. Case #1 is probably the only one I'd respond to with the same level of seriousness until I get comfortable around them, since they're being so formal. 

• Brohoof 1

2-5 are fine by me

The first one makes me assume you're boring as all hell and will most likely lose interest in speaking to you. 

Smileys and such are much nicer and shows you're not in a bad mood or anything.  :sunbutt:

So yes they make a pretty big difference to me tbh

• Brohoof 1

TBH multiple smileys can be a bit unnerving even though you mean well. ^^' For me, it really does make a whole lot of difference, and at least from my POV here's how I perceive some of them individually:

If you want to be formal, not necessarily wanting to come across as any emotion particularly:

Hello. How are you?

If you want to be formal, but also wanting to be seem friendly:

Hi! How have you been? c:

If want to convey that you're already friends, and or close with one another:

Hey man, how've you been? ^ ^

If you're really good buds:

Yo I really missed you, bro! So how's it been with you?

Some informal non-punctuated humorous exaggerating, or not, depends. It's mild:

Yoooo you're great and awesomee

Bad grammar for the humor, save this for your closest and most silly of buds:

howve u beeen ??

yES ITS GR88 !//1

no really how have you been bro/gurl its great to see you again :DDD

Hope I helped in some way, shape or form. It's a bit tough through text to convey the right emotions and there's a good chance someone might take it wrong. These guidelines usually make me clear of my feelings and intentions. :)

• Brohoof 2

Honestly I would response to them all the same way even number 5 though 5 is rather cringeworthy a bit. :P

It's still a friendly and welcoming hello. Number 2 is very friendly though.

• Brohoof 1

Too many smilies and I probably try to distance myself, but I don't appreciate formal talk when I'm in casual conversation, which is why I usually refrain from the use of full stops, it has a different implication

Take it that this is the first message you send to someone in a day or so

How are you?

I'm fine.

How are you?

I'm fine :)

Depending on their mannerisms, of course, this can change, but for me the first seems like a lie

Hehe, I do that too :D (All the time :P)

• Brohoof 1

Does it make difference how you react or respond to the person if you see message from them in different styles?

Here is same message written in different ways? Would you respond to all of these in same way? 

Case 1

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4

Case 5 

=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)HELLO!!!!!!!!=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=) ITS NICE ==)=)=)=)=)=)=)=))==)=)=)=)=)=) TO!!!! =)=)=)=)=)=) MEET!! =)=)=)=)=)=)=) YOU =)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)=)!!!!!YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think 1 looks a little bland. 2 would be my favorite greeting, as it shows the right amount of friendliness! 3 - 5 ,though, are too excessive on the smiles, I just think to myself "I GET IT" at that point :P

• Brohoof 2

For the first one, it would be clear it was a polite greeting. For the second one, it's a nice, warm greeting and those are the kinds I like to get. For the rest, it would be a little.. odd. I would be slightly weirded out. XD

• Brohoof 1

It matters.  Emoticons are seen as informal writing, or even overtly cutesy.  There is also a limit to how many emoticons I'm willing to put up with.  Case in point, examples 3 through 5 I flat-out ignored due to the excess of clutter.

• Brohoof 3

The 5th one I usually do with my close friends when we're excited about something. Usually when me and one of my friends are fangirling over pony stuff while we text lol.

But I'm pretty laid back with the smileys. I don't really care how many smileys, as long as the person is nice and able to hold a conversation. :P

• Brohoof 2

Case 1

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4

Case 5 

Honestly, the only thing it affects with me is how open I can be with this person. Case 1, i would hold back a little. Case 2 I would open up a little, so on and so forth. But I would respond to all of them :lol:  :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Well, putting a smiley in a job application is a death sentence, lol  :love:

Well, putting a smiley in a job application is a death sentence, lol :love:

Maybe that's why I never got a call back!

Lol just joking, but you literally just reminded me of the dream I had the other day. I had applied for Walmart and my application was the biggest joke, like I had so much bull written on it that screamed don't hire me. And then I woke up after the Walmart employees of my dreams laughed at me :lol:

• Brohoof 2

Case 1

Case 2

Case 3

Case 4

Case 5 

Case 1, formal.

Hello there, its nice to meet you too.

Case 2, Informal, somewhat standard.

Hey, nice to meet you too! :D

Case 3, Enthusiastic.

Hi there! Nice to meet you too :D

Case 4, ooBrony level of enthusiasm.

Hey ooBrony! Hows it going? :D

Case 5, way too hyper, this level of emoticons is way too much for me.

Hi.

• Brohoof 2

Lmao at option No.5  :love:

Myself, I prefer not to use smileys, but for extra friendliness maybe I'll throw it in if I'm keen. 

I can't say I'm the most friendly guy, so I'd usually go with option 1, but adding the smiley gives it the genuine feeling and friendliness, without going over the top.

More to the point, does:

Hello, nice to meet you =)

AND..

Hello, nice to meet you  :)

make any difference. Seeing as they are the exact same thing. :huh:

• Brohoof 1

Case 1: I prefer this.

Case 2: I don't mind, one or two smileys aren't a problem.

Case 3: Getting a little irritating, starting to go a little overboard with the smileys.

Case 4: Getting very irritating, starting to go very overboard with the smileys.

Case 5: Very irritating, I can't stand that. 

• Brohoof 2