Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

searching Life in the Big City...State (OOC)

skbl17

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Port Impala, a tropical city-state located on the northeastern tip of the Hoofnea Peninsula! The city-state has a fairly high standard of living, surviving on trade, some tourism, fishing, manufacturing, and finance. Save for some petty crimes, summer humidity, the occasional uncontrollable hurricane, personal disputes, and the jerks who find it fitting to kick puppies, life is fairly peaceful in this city-state of 4.9 million people. It's truly a land of opportunity, safety, and overall tranquility.

This is a look into the life of some of its residents and visitors, and a peek into a slice of the society that helps make this city work.

What is this roleplay about?
This is strictly a slice of life roleplay, so there are no long-term plots or storylines.

Rules
1) All forum rules apply, no exceptions.
2) Swearing is allowed. What's city life without a bit of swearing?
3) No godmodding. If you wish to control another user's character, get their permission!
4) All posts must be in English. Characters who speak another language should include an English translation in the same post. In addition, posts must be readable; I'm not expecting perfect grammar, but users' eyes shouldn't bleed from reading your posts.
5) DO NOT enter the roleplay unless you are approved to do so by the DM!
6) Any inquiries, comments, or concerns about the roleplay should be kept in this thread. If you wish, you could send a private message to the DM if you feel that your inquiry should be kept private.

Other tips, notes, and restrictions
To politically-minded players: While this isn't a political roleplay, I feel that I should mention a few things. First, a coup d'etat counts as a city-wide natural disaster, which can only be initiated by the DM. All judges and magistrates above the circuit level, the semi-ceremonial Mayor, and members of the electoral commission can only be controlled by the DM. Elections, if they are held, will be announced in this thread, not the roleplay thread.

Natural disasters: City-wide natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, and so on) can only be initiated by the DM or with the approval of the DM. Localized disasters (water main breaks, local communications outages, robberies, and so on) can be initiated by any player.

Technology level: There are no hard limitations on civilian technology, but the level of technology is generally equivalent to late 1980s and early 1990s standards. Technology that can create city-wide disasters (such as nuclear weapons or their magical equivalents) must be approved by the DM.

Races: Port Impala follows a non-discrimination policy. All races are allowed (yes, even alicorns and changelings). However, I should stress that godmodding is not allowed.

Control of NPCs and canon characters: NPCs - including police officers, shop owners and employees, teachers, professors, and so on - can be controlled by any player. Should they ever make an appearance, canon characters - those that appear in the show - can only be controlled by the DM in normal circumstances. Users who wish to control a canon character must get approval from the DM first!

Business ownership: Port Impala laws state that to own and operate a business in the city-state, the owner must either [a] legally live in Port Impala, or have a local subsidiary registered in the city-state, if the business is a multinational one.

Also, don't forget to follow this thread and the roleplay thread for updates!

Port Impala Factbank

Similar to the detailed OOC posts I've made on Equestria in the Equestria Forward roleplay, the Port Impala Factbank is a series of blog posts (trying to keep clutter down) that lays out Port Impala in detail. Almost every nook and cranny of the city-state is described in detail there! Highly recommended read for all players, both active and prospective.

1) Basic Info: Just an introduction; some numbers and stats on the city-state.

2) Media: A look at the vibrant print and broadcast media.

Registered players
To register for this roleplay, leave a reply in this thread with your character's name and a link to his or her character profile. Your character will not be approved if (s)he does not have an active character profile. All applicants will be thoroughly vetted; any concerns will be shared by the DM via private message. Keep an eye on this list!

List last updated: August 20, 2015 (UTC -5)

- skbl17 (DM): Bright Idea (Mayor of Port Impala), Compass Meridian

- IllusivePony: Quarbari Steelhooves, Aha'ban Steelwings

- Akari of Duskshire: Fantasy Moon

- Dapper Charmer: Dapper Charmer

-

-

Click here to enter the roleplay!

Edited by skbl17

I'd love to take interest. It'd be nice to just to something more free paced.

https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/quarbari-fleethooves-r8230

Quarbari in this setting will be completed with his combatant role. As the situation in Saddle Arabia winds down he feels he should take a bit of slight break.

Approved. Welcome, and yeah, I created this roleplay to be an actual slice of life piece, more free-paced and calmer than my other work.

@@skbl17

I apologize if this isn't the place to discuss but, will all your info for Equestria Forward transition to a new OOC if you reboot?

And will I have to reapply if you do reboot? Or could you just transfer my entry ? I'm still fairly interested in it.

Edited by IllusivePony

@@skbl17

I apologize if this isn't the place to discuss but, will all your info for Equestria Forward transition to a new OOC if you reboot?

And will I have to reapply if you do reboot? Or could you just transfer my entry ? I'm still fairly interested in it.

I don't plan on rebooting EQF. Also, most of the universe's info will likely remain, just in a different OOC thread.

I would be happy to join.  I only have one OC at the moment, so of course I'll go with Fantasy Moon.  Link is in my signature.

Approved, and welcome!

(edited)

@@skbl17,

Thanks so much!  How many more members will you accept until the RP thread is set up? 

The RP thread's already set up (see the link at the bottom of the first post). I'm not going to close signups anytime soon, but I will set this thread to "OOC" instead of "Searching" when signups reach five.

For all intents and purposes though, this is an OOC thread.

Edited by skbl17

In my first post, I said that I'd be detailing the setting in a series of blog posts. Similar to the detail posts in the Equestria Forward OOC thread, the series (Port Impala Factbank) will describe Port Impala's society, culture, media, communications, politics, security, and climate in vivid detail. The first post is just an overview, showing some numbers.

(This is a double post, but meh.)

So, I'm actually working on a map of Port Impala that will go in the factbank when it's finished. The map will include points of interest, subway lines, the seaport, ferry lines, roads, rivers, land, parks, colleges, shopping centers (like the Bazaar,) and more. It's going to be a pretty complex map, but I think it'll be all worth it!  :muffins:

Welcome to the Commonwealth of Port Impala, a tropical city-state located on the northeastern tip of the Hoofnea Peninsula! The city-state has a fairly high standard of living, surviving on trade, some tourism, fishing, manufacturing, and finance. Save for some petty crimes, summer humidity, the occasional uncontrollable hurricane, personal disputes, and the jerks who find it fitting to kick puppies, life is fairly peaceful in this city-state of 4.9 million people. It's truly a land of opportunity, safety, and overall tranquility.

This is a look into the life of some of its residents and visitors, and a peek into a slice of the society that helps make this city work.

What is this roleplay about?

This is strictly a slice of life roleplay, so there are no long-term plots or storylines.

Rules

1) All forum rules apply, no exceptions.

2) Swearing is allowed. What's city life without a bit of swearing?

3) No godmodding. If you wish to control another user's character, get their permission!

4) All posts must be in English. Characters who speak another language should include an English translation in the same post. In addition, posts must be readable; I'm not expecting perfect grammar, but users' eyes shouldn't bleed from reading your posts.

5) DO NOT enter the roleplay unless you are approved to do so by the DM!

6) Any inquiries, comments, or concerns about the roleplay should be kept in this thread. If you wish, you could send a private message to the DM if you feel that your inquiry should be kept private.

Other tips, notes, and restrictions

To politically-minded players: While this isn't a political roleplay, I feel that I should mention a few things. First, a coup d'etat counts as a city-wide natural disaster, which can only be initiated by the DM. All judges and magistrates above the circuit level, the semi-ceremonial Mayor, and members of the electoral commission can only be controlled by the DM. Elections, if they are held, will be announced in this thread, not the roleplay thread.

Natural disasters: City-wide natural disasters (hurricanes, earthquakes, and so on) can only be initiated by the DM or with the approval of the DM. Localized disasters (water main breaks, local communications outages, robberies, and so on) can be initiated by any player.

Technology level: There are no limitations on civilian technology, but technology that can create city-wide disasters (such as nuclear weapons or their magical equivalents) must be approved by the DM.

Races: Port Impala follows a non-discrimination policy. All races are allowed (yes, even alicorns and changelings). However, I should stress that godmodding is not allowed.

Control of NPCs and canon characters: NPCs - including police officers, shop owners and employees, teachers, professors, and so on - can be controlled by any player. Should they ever make an appearance, canon characters - those that appear in the show - can only be controlled by the DM in normal circumstances. Users who wish to control a canon character must get approval from the DM first!

Also, don't forget to follow this thread and the roleplay thread for updates!

Port Impala Factbank

Similar to the detailed OOC posts I've made on Equestria in the Equestria Forward roleplay, the Port Impala Factbank is a series of blog posts (trying to keep clutter down) that lays out Port Impala in detail. Almost every nook and cranny of the city-state is described in detail there! Highly recommended read for all players, both active and prospective.

1) Basic Info: Just an introduction; some numbers and stats on the city-state.

Registered players

To register for this roleplay, leave a reply in this thread with your character's name and a link to his or her character profile. Your character will not be approved if (s)he does not have an active character profile. All applicants will be thoroughly vetted; any concerns will be shared by the DM via private message. Keep an eye on this list!

List last updated: August 7, 2015

- skbl17 (DM): Bright Idea (Mayor of Port Impala), Compass Meridian

- IllusivePony: Quarbari Steelhooves

- Akari of Duskshire: Fantasy Moon

Click here to enter the roleplay!

interesting..... i think it would be perfect for my character to get some slice of life development.....   https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/isaac-swiftheart-r8638(ps: i know he's a bit young so could we make him 16 just for this roleplay)

Edited by Snake Photoshopper

interesting..... i think it would be perfect for my character to get some slice of life development.....   https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/isaac-swiftheart-r8638(ps: i know he's a bit young so could we make him 16 just for this roleplay)

I was actually about to bring up his age, but it's good that you're willing to do something about it.

Approved. Welcome!  :)

This looks like a great RP and I'd love to be a part of it if you'd be willing to have me. :lol:

Here is a link to my main OC Dapper Charmer: https://mlpforums.com/page/roleplay-characters/_/dapper-charmer-r8678

He is a Llama, but if you are only using species that are cannon to the show I understand.

No, llamas are fine. From the original post:

Races: Port Impala follows a non-discrimination policy. All races are allowed (yes, even alicorns and changelings). However, I should stress that godmodding is not allowed.

Anyway, you are approved to join. Welcome!

Question would you mind if my character owned an art store across the street from the bazaar. Or else just a art store in general?

Also thanks for including me.

There are few restrictions on business ownership. Business owners must either live in the city or, if it is a multinational corporation, must have a local subsidiary.

(edited)

I was planning on being a citizen if that's cool. But if its not I can just be a visitor.

If you want to be a citizen, that's fine. I don't intend on every character being a visitor.

@@Donald Gamer

she proceeded to show him a table very close to the mayor he whisper to him self "is that the mayor.... he does seem to be very important... oh it doesn't matter"

Well, the he is a she.  :)

Edited by skbl17

(edited)

Oh, I'm almost done with the map. Just adding some points of interest.

EDIT: And the map's done! For now, it's just the map; more details on what these places actually are will come in an upcoming Factbank post.

EDIT 2: Updated to add more streets, some clarifications, and places of interest.

post-24504-0-80197500-1439576195_thumb.png

Edited by skbl17
  • Brohoof 3