Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Do You Expect Out Of A Friendship?

Wicked Skies

Everyone has a reason for befriending someone. It can be for the spur of the moment, the fact that two people have a lot in common, it could be to nurse an insecurity or to fit in with the kids at school. You get the point.

On top of that, when it comes to choosing friends some people are critical while others are open to anyone.

As for me, I've had bad experiences with people in the past, online and in reality. It's caused me to become an introvert and I always feel that people have their own agenda when they befriend me. Because of this, I take friendship very seriously (that's why, for example, my friends list on the MLP Forums is always being cleared of people every few days).

To sum it all up, to me friendship is sacred, a bond that should not be taken lightly. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive but whatever.

So what do you all expect out of a friendship and how important is a friendship to you?

• Brohoof 5

I take friendship really seriously to,is like trusting the person when you became friends with them,and to have someone to trust and to talk with on whenever you are feeling sad and depressed,and to have fun with to.But I also scared that they might abandoned me once they just lost interest to me someday,I am just looking for true friends right now,not just friends.Is just so hard to find true friends these days.

Edited by Princess_Moonlight
  • Brohoof 4

I take friendship really seriously to,is like trusting the person when you became friends with them,and to have someone to trust and to talk with on whenever you are feeling sad and depressed,and to have fun with to.But I also scared that they might abandoned me,if just lost interest in me,I am just looking for true friends right now,not just friends.Is just so hard to find true friends these days.

You're not the only one. I've come across many people who fear being abandoned by friends. You can tell someone has that fear when they talk or write in short bursts instead of in full sentences.

• Brohoof 1

I have a number of friends I can count on a single hand.  Then again, for myself friendship tends to be more meaningful than what I've seen people describe as friendship.  The people I can friends are those I an trust, those that I enjoy conversing with.  My friends are the kind of people that will be sitting there beside me in jail after a night of causing havoc saying 'damn, that was fun!'

I expect to get nothing from my friends for the kinship, but I do expect the kinship to be held together with trust.

My best friend I've had since I was a child.  He's the kind of guy that would just as easily slug my on my birthday as shoot the shit with me over nothing of import, and he'd be the first to come to my aid if I needed it.  He was the bro that listened when I needed someone to talk to after my sweetheart fucked behind my back.  I was his bro when he got piss-yourself drunk in college helping him get to his room and not be busted by the security.  When we were playing a game of billiards at the local watering hole, he had my back when I picked a fight with some drunks after they insulted my sister.  I could go on and on.

So, to me, that is the defining example of friendship.  The guy that can rely on you and you can rely on them.  I hate how easily the word "friends" is thrown around these days, especially with games and chat services.  That random stranger I talked to for two minutes isn't a friend, they're a contact.

• Brohoof 1

I expect absolute honesty.

Don't feel like hanging out? That's cool.

Don't want to talk about that particular subject? Fine by me.

You shouldn't have to tell small lies or make excuses. If you don't feel comfortable with something, just say so; I won't get upset.

It makes me feel so much better hearing the hard truth than having to pick up on hints.

• Brohoof 1

Everyone has a reason for befriending someone. It can be for the spur of the moment, the fact that two people have a lot in common, it could be to nurse an insecurity or to fit in with the kids at school. You get the point.

On top of that, when it comes to choosing friends some people are critical while others are open to anyone.

As for me, I've had bad experiences with people in the past, online and in reality. It's caused me to become an introvert and I always feel that people have their own agenda when they befriend me. Because of this, I take friendship very seriously (that's why, for example, my friends list on the MLP Forums is always being cleared of people every few days).

To sum it all up, to me friendship is sacred, a bond that should not be taken lightly. Maybe I'm just overly sensitive but whatever.

So what do you all expect out of a friendship and how important is a friendship to you?

I'd want a nice, kind and respectful friend who I can talk to. We could help one another out whenever we need it. We'd go out and enjoy each others time together and create memories together. We'd not fight and we'd have fun and look out for one another whenever we can.

• Brohoof 2

When I'm friends with someone, all I expect is for them to not be a jerk really. If you're the kind of person who just starts fights for the sake of it, can't be trusted with secrets or anything like that, then I probably won't be your friend. So basically, as long as you aren't an untrustworthy jerk, I'll be anyone's friend. And I consider friendship something precious, something that you can't just take for granted

• Brohoof 1

I try to be friends with everyone! I just hope they dont back stab me. I guess this is why i relate to pinkie pie the most  :lol:

But honestly What I think Friendship is being with someone that no matter how much you fight, argue, or maybe even hating each others guts at times that you can forgive and make up and hang out again. The best friend ship i have ever had is with someone who challenges me to do better and yes that leads to some nasty fights but we make up an hang out again.

• Brohoof 1

Nothing specific, I just enjoy being with friends. We can help each other on many things or simply talk.

(and it seems "cold" to me to expect something out of a friendship)

Without friends, we would be alone, which is terrible (and very boring).

Edited by Blobulle
  • Brohoof 1

I have two levels of friendship....the normal level and bro-ship.

In friendship, I want understanding and respect. The whole reason im friends with someone is because they show they understand me as I do them, as well as respect them. Also, as the people above me have stated, reciprocation. I scratch your back you scratch mine. If not then jog on.

Now in bro-ship, I expect alot cause essentially you are my very close friend i'd take a bullet for. That being said, if you dont trust me, respect me or understand me then you shouldnt even be on this level. With my bros, i give more leeway to the reciprocation thing since thats what bros do.

I'm very loyal to my friends if they prove that we ARE actually friends. That's all I want, not to be carrying around and used like a mascot. I like loyalty and honesty, if they aren't honest with me and say that I force them to hang out with me when that's not true and they should just say no. Is it that hard?!

Edited by Januaree

I had several close friends growing up. We just really got along because we were misfits. I was always the weird kid, so I hung out with weird people. We were all weird, and that was the best part.

We didn't care about having to impress each other. We didn't have to fit in with each other. We didn't have to worry about offending each other. We were all extremely different. I can remember all of them, back to kindergarten.

All of my friends helped shape me into what I am now. We all found each other by being rejects, and I guess we all had low expectations of friendship. But looking back, I wouldn't have traded them for anything. I don't know how to explain it, but it was genuine.

We were there for each other. We helped each other. We stuck together. We loved each other.

And I know that sounds dumb, but when you're a bunch of dudes, and you can hug, laugh, and cry whenever a pet dies, someone gets hurt, or one of you moves away, it doesn't feel so dumb to me.

God, I'm sad now.

I expect connection.

• 4 months later...

I expect trust, caring and happiness in a friendship! I'd like to have at least a teeny bit in common to be friends. We have to be able to make each other laugh too, at some point. Sense of humor in a friendship is good. c:

They also have to be there if I need them if we're pretty close! I know I'm always there for my friends when they need me. :3

Edited by PrincessWubsy

• 2 weeks later...

Above all else, loyalty. Loyalty requires trust and if I can't trust you, you have no place being my friend.

• Brohoof 1

I expect my friends to be reliable and dependable; I also expect them to be trustworthy and to stay true to their word.

Unfortunately, this seems like way too much to ask -_-

I also expect my friends to actually want to be friends, and to actually want to talk with me and do stuff with me.

I am one of those who takes friendship seriously. 

What I expect, is that both (myself included) are ready to make sacrifices (as in terms of ideology and thinking, as not everybody thinks the same. To respect each other's opinions, but no one has to agree) since friendship is not all about doing some activities together, but being able to rely on each other. 

I expect support (as in when I am having a hard time, not as in doing homework for them or lying for them), understanding (Give the benefit of doubt) as well as criticism (yes, sometimes you need your friends to reign you in sometimes. A true friend will also comment on your flaws because they want to help you become better). 

I expect that the other individual does not turn away from me in an hour of need. 

I will return that to them and my friends can always turn to me for support. 

But yeah, that is what I expect.