Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming so.. what peoples feelings on Undertale?

StudioUAC

Well... Genocide spoilers ahead.

It's a long story. It's why you shouldn't do genocide if you really "live" in games you play.

Some time ago I finished both the neutral and pacifist endings, and I decided to do genocide.

This was a bad idea, as I really get into the games I play, and they pretty much become reality for me.

I started it, not thinking much of killing all the monsters, until the music changed. It came as a shock, and when I checked the save-point, and it just said "Determination", I realized what I had gotten myself into.

I felt bad. I felt like I really had the dust of those monsters on my hands. Every few steps the game would remind me by saying: "But nobody came."

I attacked Toriel, not knowing how much killing intent I had, which killed her in one hit.

Her words and her face really shocked me. I felt like a monster. Flowey confirmed this, by saying I had no soul, like him.

I met Sans, and he kept on saying that I had no emotions, which creeped me out, and still the music droned in my head. Even the music was against me.

"Keep pretending to be human."

It really got to me.

I kept on walking through Papyrus' traps, and I honestly thought he started giving up at the end. It made me feel so bad.

I killed everyone, and arrived at Snowdin. Empty. No one to be found.

There was a note.

"Please don't kill my family."

I stole the money.

Papyrus.

He spared me.

I killed him.

The echo-flowers. Silent.

Everyone is dead.

Turtle-guy knows I'm a monster.

Monster Kid.

"In my way."

"Free EXP."

I tried to kill him.

Undyne saved him, and retaliated.

I died many times, but tried and tried and tried again.

Determined to kill.

But Undyne was the Hero, and I was the monster. The world depended on Her. And I wanted to kill her. For shits and giggles. Because I could, and therefore had to.

I failed.

I stopped, because it became evening IRL, and I had to go to bed.

In the shower, I began thinking.

I became scared of going to sleep.

I kept seeing Sans in my mind with those empty eyes, saying over and over again, "Why did you have to do it? Why did you have to kill my brother?"

I couldn't sleep.

Sans haunting my thoughts.

Papyrus sparing me.

Undyne feeling everyone's hearts beating as one.

"Filthy brotherkiller"

I haven't touched Undertale since.

• Brohoof 2

Love it to pieces. Temmie and Goat-mum are awesome. Papyrus and Sans are, too. As are Undyne, Alphys, Mettaton, Napstablook, Asgore, Asriel.... you get the point. This game has absorbed me.
I have a friend who does the perfect Papyrus voice. I really should do something that she can voice for.

• Brohoof 1

I love Undertale and i guess you can now count me as part of the Undertale Fandom, since i started to follow Undertale Ask Blogs, fav Undertale Art, try to draw Characters from the game and watch many people play it.  :lol:

The Game was amazing! Its funny, its sometimes even scary or very emotional and sad. The Characters are all interesting and the Art looks cute. And sometimes scary. The Story was interesting, with a few plot twists and the game had an unique game style with the reloads and replaying the game.

I like the Multiple endings and that your actions madder.Also, the Music is fantastic.  :o

I really liked the game^^But i never played myself, i watched JackSepticEye play it.

I would really love, if this would be turned into a Movie.  :love:

• Brohoof 1

Well... Genocide spoilers ahead.

It's a long story. It's why you shouldn't do genocide if you really "live" in games you play.

Some time ago I finished both the neutral and pacifist endings, and I decided to do genocide.

This was a bad idea, as I really get into the games I play, and they pretty much become reality for me.

I started it, not thinking much of killing all the monsters, until the music changed. It came as a shock, and when I checked the save-point, and it just said "Determination", I realized what I had gotten myself into.

I felt bad. I felt like I really had the dust of those monsters on my hands. Every few steps the game would remind me by saying: "But nobody came."

I attacked Toriel, not knowing how much killing intent I had, which killed her in one hit.

Her words and her face really shocked me. I felt like a monster. Flowey confirmed this, by saying I had no soul, like him.

I met Sans, and he kept on saying that I had no emotions, which creeped me out, and still the music droned in my head. Even the music was against me.

"Keep pretending to be human."

It really got to me.

I kept on walking through Papyrus' traps, and I honestly thought he started giving up at the end. It made me feel so bad.

I killed everyone, and arrived at Snowdin. Empty. No one to be found.

There was a note.

"Please don't kill my family."

I stole the money.

Papyrus.

He spared me.

I killed him.

The echo-flowers. Silent.

Everyone is dead.

Turtle-guy knows I'm a monster.

Monster Kid.

"In my way."

"Free EXP."

I tried to kill him.

Undyne saved him, and retaliated.

I died many times, but tried and tried and tried again.

Determined to kill.

But Undyne was the Hero, and I was the monster. The world depended on Her. And I wanted to kill her. For shits and giggles. Because I could, and therefore had to.

I failed.

I stopped, because it became evening IRL, and I had to go to bed.

In the shower, I began thinking.

I became scared of going to sleep.

I kept seeing Sans in my mind with those empty eyes, saying over and over again, "Why did you have to do it? Why did you have to kill my brother?"

I couldn't sleep.

Sans haunting my thoughts.

Papyrus sparing me.

Undyne feeling everyone's hearts beating as one.

"Filthy brotherkiller"

I haven't touched Undertale since.

Gr8 story in the spoiler, and it's all so true. The greater of the RPG's that have been made can have that effect and everyone loves them for it.

I think undertale could easily be the best game of 2015

• Brohoof 1

While I never played Undertale before, it just feels a little too overhyped like Minecraft would.  :confused:

It's not a bad game, though the game's actual entertainment value is usually downplayed from people all too often spoiling it. Just takes a character from the game to spoil it, after all (except Flowey or the Annoying Dog, maybe).

• Brohoof 1

So, what is you guy's opinion on the GameFAQs best game contest, where Undertale has somehow massacred its way through several highly acclaimed games (including Pokemon and two Mario titles) and is now on its way to challenge Ocarina of Time tomorrow?

• Brohoof 1

So, what is you guy's opinion on the GameFAQs best game contest, where Undertale has somehow massacred its way through several highly acclaimed games (including Pokemon and two Mario titles) and is now on its way to challenge Ocarina of Time tomorrow?

I personally didnt even know what Gamefaqs was and never heard of it, until i got on Tumblr and saw some people complaining about that Undertale Fans are rude in the Voting or that the Votes are actually kinda fake. Also, a few people on Gamefaqs got upset as well, that Undertale wins against so many different titles.

I voted for Undertale, because thats the new Fandom im currently in and most of the other Games ( Super Mario 64 or Super Smash Bros Melee ) are good games, but in my Opinion nothing special.

The Story in Super Mario 64 is mostly the same Story as always, Bowser kidnaps Princess Peach, Mario rescues her, finish.

And in my Opinion Undertale has for once a way better Story and way better characters.

And Super Smash Bros Melee is just a Cash in, by clashing multiple franchises in one another, to make the most money.

Maybe they are cult classics, but Undertale is more complex than that and i personally find Undertale to be better.

But, even if Undertale loses...who cares? On Tumblr and Gamefaqs it seems, that it gets controversial for some reason...like...its just a stupid poll on some random Site on the Internet...who cares who wins?

If your favorite game doesnt win, its not gonna change anything. Its still your all time best game ever.

Nobody can change that.

Why do so many things, that ultimately doesnt madder anyway, have such an impact on the Internet?

Its just a stupid Poll.

• Brohoof 2

While I never played Undertale before, it just feels a little too overhyped like Minecraft would.  :confused:

It's not that it's overhyped. It's because the game itself is rated 9/10 and 10/10 by many indie game reviewing websites, and mosty because the game is excellent. It is perfectly normal that everyone is spreading the news about this awesome game since it is a great game that you should definitely consider trying. It's pretty obvious really.

• Brohoof 2

I reviewed this game a few days ago, and I still stand that it's awesome. The gameplay's great, the story's great, pretty much everything about is gr8/8. Hands down one of if not my favorite game of all time.

also alphys is love alphys is life.

• Brohoof 2

Gr8 story in the spoiler, and it's all so true. The greater of the RPG's that have been made can have that effect and everyone loves them for it.

I think undertale could easily be the best game of 2015

Thanks. :grin2:

I saw an online poll, whether Undertale or Fallout 4 was GOTY.

Undertale had 60% of the votes, and Fallout 4 40%, so yeah.

Go Undertale! :icwudt:

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually kind of annoyed with hearing about this game. I don't honestly understand why people are so fascinated with indie games in general. As a gamer who grew up playing games on the NES, I don't really understand why people would want to go back to playing games that look or sound retro. For me, it's kind of like "okay been there, done that, don't really want to go back to that, thanks."

If this is what gaming has come to please shoot me...

I'm sorry I had to be that guy.

Edited by joanro

I'm actually kind of annoyed with hearing about this game. I don't honestly understand why people are so fascinated with indie games in general. As a gamer who grew up playing games on the NES, I don't really understand why people would want to go back to playing games that look or sound retro. For me, it's kind of like "okay been there, done that, don't really want to go back to that, thanks."

If this is what gaming has come to please to shoot me...

I don't think people really like these types of games for the art style.

They like it for the stories that are conveyed through the pixels. 

At least, that's why I like the game...

• Brohoof 1

If this is what gaming has come to please to shoot me...

I think that fake-retro games appeal to the older gamers' nostalgia", and to the younger gamers' respect for the "good old classics".

Also, low-res 8-bit sprites are easier to draw.

• Brohoof 2

I found the game to be extremely charming. I was among those who had begun to let the inundation of fan content and posts around the web make me not want to play it at all. However, like many folks have done, once I sat down and gave it a shot I loved it. I had avoided spoilers as best I could so it was a lot of fun figuring out how to do the Neutral and True Pacifist endings. The characters and their goofy interactions on the Neutral/TP route was a lot of fun. Papyrus is truly a Cool Dude.

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the music is amazing, with folks like RichaadEB on youtube doing electric guitar renditions of them. I've downloaded all of his UT versions and listen to it while on the elliptical or out jogging. Helps me go fast.

I received my copy as a gift and it turned out to be an excellent one. 

• Brohoof 1

It's not that it's overhyped. It's because the game itself is rated 9/10 and 10/10 by many indie game reviewing websites, and mosty because the game is excellent. It is perfectly normal that everyone is spreading the news about this awesome game since it is a great game that you should definitely consider trying. It's pretty obvious really.

Unfortunately as easy as it is to spread how popular Undertale is, it's just as easy to end up spoilering yourself in the process...

Unfortunately as easy as it is to spread how popular Undertale is, it's just as easy to end up spoilering yourself in the process...

Yes, but that is if you're searching for getting spoiled on purpose, or ''accidentaly''. The best way is just to keep away from the fanmade content the best that you can, and try out soon enough the game.

• Brohoof 1

As mentioned elsewhere in the thread the music is amazing, with folks like RichaadEB on youtube doing electric guitar renditions of them. I've downloaded all of his UT versions and listen to it while on the elliptical or out jogging. Helps me go fast.

Haha, that's exactly what I want to do :P That music is so catchy! I haven't heard RichaadEB's versions though, I'mma have to do that! :3

Yes, but that is if you're searching for getting spoiled on purpose, or ''accidentaly''. The best way is just to keep away from the fanmade content the best that you can, and try out soon enough the game.

That's easier said than done when a whole lot of sites, including this one, have avatars that end up spoiling certain endings (ex: Omega Flowey, Chara/ Fallen Child) for others. There's sort of a difference between a simple game "symbol" (like regular Flowey or Sans) and one that spoils a part of the game, even without context.

My opinion:

Undertale has a lot of charming elements such as its cute story and unique gameplay. It's a decent play, but honestly the people saying it's 9/10 and up I think are exaggerating. As a retro gamer myself, I'm kind of sick of making 8/16 bit inspired graphics to try and pull the retro crowd in.

What Undertale does right, it does so right, but what it does wrong it also does so wrong. While the game boasts this "no one has to die" concept you more or less are not even playing an RPG at that point as you'll finish at level 1. Combat while quirky is rather variety baron. You can count all of the game's available equipmentioned on two hands, showing that the developer clearly wanted the focus to be on sparing every enemy (which there is little in the way of variety of. I remember the same 2-3 enemies over and over.). For a game so short I would have loved more variety, but I ultimately was left feeling like there was more fleshing out needed from Undertale.

What's more annoying is anyone giving it anything less than near perfect scores seems to be getting bashed left and right. Sorry Toby Fox, I loved the work you did on Homestuck, but Undertale felt a little subpar to me and a bit too much like it was trying to hard to capture the feeling of Earthbound right down to evn having a similar style of comedy.

I would give Undertale 6.5/10

That's easier said than done when a whole lot of sites, including this one, have avatars that end up spoiling certain endings (ex: Omega Flowey, Chara/ Fallen Child) for others. There's sort of a difference between a simple game "symbol" (like regular Flowey or Sans) and one that spoils a part of the game, even without context.

Do you have a solution then? Mines are pretty much only staying away from the game and never play it, even tho you will suffer the consequence of missing the experience of a great game if you are a fan of indie games, Otherwise, Just go get it already and play it! I find this conversation idiotic somehow (no offense intended), because anyway, sooner or later, gamers that never played it but heard A LOT of good things about it, will buy it and play it sooner or later anyway.

• Brohoof 1