Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Worst AI you've ever experienced in a game?

Megas

The AI in The first two Mario Kart games I'd say are really annoying. They don't seem to have a realistic speed. Now, I know I really shouldn't be discussing what's realistic or not in a universe where bricks contain money but it gets ridiculous. The AI can easily get way ahead of you but once you get ahead of the AI, no matter how fast you got they will always be on your tail. It's also a bit weird how the ones on your tail will be a certain character depending on who you choose to play as. 

I do feel later Mario Kart games fixed this by making it seem like everyone's speed made since with the karts having varying weights.

Battlefront II AI - Enemy NPCs seemed to prioritize you over nearer targets and the AI in general was pretty terrible to play with or against

Half-Life 2 - Combine squad AI interested me, but they're way too slow, have too little health pool, and had stunningly awful aim

Halo: CE - The Covenant and Flood AI were great and innovative for it's time if you look at them closely imo, but the marines seemed pretty like petty threats to them and couldn't rub 2 brain cells together 

I just played J-Stars Victory VS+ for the PlayStation 4, and there was a mission on story mode that I had to fight a certain enemy. One of my partner characters that helped me in my fight suddenly stopped fighting for no reason and just stood in place for the rest of the battle. I couldn't even activate victory burst to turn the battle in my favor and the time was running out as well. I was able to win in the end, but that was definitely weird and bad AI in my opinion. 

I would say Forza Motorsport - I would get hit and ran off the track.

Halo Series - the marines suck
Dead Rising - Survivors Cant figure out how to walk and will attack you.

Resident Evil 5 - Your Friend Would use the wrong things all the times

Alien Colonel Marines - The Xenomorphs barely get anywhere.

Edited by ContraMaster

Ever played Takedown Red Sabre? The enemies are so hardcore that they could headshot you from a mile away with a pistol. Near impossibe to be stealthy. They hide around corners and once they spot you it only takes one or two shots to kill. It took a lot of strategy for me and my friends to pass the first level.

• Brohoof 1

Rome: Total War has notoriously awful AI. It's overly aggressive, typically declaring war as soon as you share a border with an AI-controlled faction; it's unable to discern when it should sue for peace even when placed at an obvious disadvantage; and in battle, it will charge the enemy general right into your lines. The main way for the AI to succeed is through the awful production system that results in numerous stacks of enemy armies. There's something to be said for the lone mechanic for bringing a semblance of balance to the diplomatic AI: forcing the AI to accept decisions via cheating. However, the AI would just as well turn around and, say, declare war again.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots had underachieving AI. The poor senses and lack of object retention of enemy units should've been rectified after three games. The AI was far from dynamic, as the game's design still leaned heavily on linearity.

Deus Ex's poor AI, however, was and remains entertaining. Kiting Gunther Hermann around Liberty Island so he can fight a security bot in a never ending knife fight blends surprisingly well with the experimental, if often wonky, nature of the game.

• 5 years later...

Probably the AI in MechWarrior 5. Enemies are extremely one-dimensional, and friendly pilots are pretty useless, even just for tanking damage since they hardly ever fire their weapons to draw aggro. I ended up installing a mod that reworks the AI, and even the modder said the original AI coding is absolute garbage and incredibly simple. I guess that's to be expected from PGI, considering they've never made a good game in their lives.

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

The game with the worst AI I've experienced is one from a lesser-known video game: your AI partner in the Uncanny X-Men on the NES. Not only does it wander around aimlessly, it will repeatedly attack anything, even if no enemies are present. Giving it a ranged character is just asking for trouble because you will hear the attack sound every second. Rarely does it actually do anything, such as attack other enemies. Furthermore, you're required to take the AI partner. Thankfully, you can off the AI partner and get things done.

Another game with really bad AI is Grand Theft Auto III. In one mid-game mission, you're supposed to have your ally plant bombs on a boat. However, he tends to run headfirst into enemy fire. Thankfully you don't have to pay him on subsequent mission failures, which is very nice because that mission is tough. The AI will also shoot point blank into walls and barricades because you're near their direction. This allows you to either take them out with grenades, sniper rifle rounds or rockets.

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

most annoying AI i've experienced was in Need for Speed: Underground, there's one career event where it's like 8 or something laps with the worst rubberbanding AI to ever exist, no matter the difficulty they just speed right by you like all of them are possessed by Rainbow Dash and they whiz through the really tight corners like it's nothing at a million MPH 

It was the only time I had to really use cheap tactics like making them crash and get stuck, multiple times.

Meanwhile the actual boss event is super easy. Idk what they were thinking!

As for braindead AI, Need for Speed: Undercover for sure. The final event, I was expecting to actually have to drive around the city but the AI that I was supposed to defeat drove straight into a pillar and then kept going back and forth hitting the walls in a tunnel and, because the event doesn't end until they are totaled, well... the AI did all the hard work for me.

honorable mention to the AI in Rollercoaster Tycoon 2. They are unable to find the exit, or any shop/amenities really, in front of them and get mad at me for that....

I'm 99% sure anyone who hates Sheva in RE5 is entirely because of how butt her AI is when playing it in Single Player

(edited)

Wreckfest by a large margin. They just can’ trace on a circuit . They’re too focused on killing each other. So maybe you can easily get by-OH THAT’S RIGHT IT’S WRECKFEST SO THEY TRY TO KILL YOU. In my personal opinion, the Wreckfest AI on a race track is the worst to deal with. Watch Soundhead Entertainment and you’ll see what I mean.

Edited by 14Fan

(edited)
On 2022-06-07 at 4:51 AM, Magic Note said:

your AI partner in the Uncanny X-Men on the NES. Not only does it wander around aimlessly, it will repeatedly attack anything, even if no enemies are present. Giving it a ranged character is just asking for trouble because you will hear the attack sound every second.

James Rolfe summed it up, best: "It's like giving a little kid 10 pounds of sugar and a Super Soaker."

:Pip-giggle:

Edited by Castle Bleck