Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

How to get Noticed?

AmbientBeat

Ive always dreamed of being a famous musician that would have a Wikipedia and Television Tropes page. Eventually becoming a just as big actor and activist and guest starring in MLP, having one of my songs featured in Grand Theft Auto, and becoming so rich I'll have houses in every city on the West Coast(A person can dream, right?). I need tips on how to get noticed by brony music stations, or Equestria Daily, or whether I'm being too cocky or not. Any good places to begin?

• Brohoof 1

You're gonna have to start making stuff dude. Put yourself out there on youtube, soundcloud, pony.fm, anywhere you can think of. Be sure to produce quality music that is catchy to the ear that would draw people in. 

You need to make sure that your music isn't cheesy nor repetitive. You can't just be a one-hit-wonder, you gotta keep the fire burning and produce great music. 

But it all starts out with baby steps. I can help you if you'd like. Do you have a Skype?

• Brohoof 2

What you need to do is to avoid these unreasonably high expectations, and a good idea is to do it in small steps. Put up one of your songs on SoundCloud or YouTube, start with a goal of entertaining about a few dozen or hundred with your passion, put your name out on some other places and take any constructive criticism you can get. Then you can work your way up.

• Brohoof 1

EVERYONE starts small and then grows slow. You need to promote, be active, and try as hard as you can.

Great places to promote is here, soundcloud, friends, family, youtube, bandcamp and pony.fm (if you are making pony music).

DO NOT EXPECT THE MILLIONARE LIFE AT THIS MOMENT! that is what makes people give up and fail.

Also to add on to what other have said make sure you have fun while making the music getting notice is nice and all but if you dont have any passion in the music you probably wont get noticed at all, cus even if you dont get noticed when you have fun with it at least you enjoyed yourself

• Brohoof 1

Get a lot of people do the sharing for you in exchange for favours. Always go with what's popular/temporary and always, ALWAYS compromise.
Remind yourself each passing day about the fact that unless you have 1 million subscribers, you will never be truly happy with yourself.
And for God's sake it's never about what you want, it's about being adaptable to change. I've learned this on my marketing classes.

But seriously, do you think any of your favourite entertainers have become what they've become simply by wanting to be more important than what they actually are? I don't think so. Now I'm not an expert on psychology, but answer me the following question. Would you rather follow a great artist or a great and inspiring person who so happens to be an artist? Both have roughly the same amount of views. One is empty on the inside, the other is complete. Guess who fits where.

Same example. One has harmonious passion, the other has obsessive passion.
Harmonious passion is like this: I know, sometimes what I do can be rather exhausting, but it doesn't matter.
Obsessive passion is like this: I'm not doing this because I want to, I'm doing this because I HAVE to.
The one is in a state of flow, the other feels guilty for not being good enough. Guilt brings procrastination, procrastination brings more guilt, et cetera. I know because I was that person. RIP my editing career. But non of that matters now, I have no regrets in life.
More info on passion: http://www.psych-it.com.au/Psychlopedia/article.asp?id=444

Now, what do you want ME to do, you say? Simple. Your life comes first, passion later. Be out there, live your life to the fullest. Be the guy who talks about let's say I don't know anything you can imagine. You want to talk about sociology? You gotta live that to your bone. You want to talk about love? Let love be a part of your life. Let love do the talking FOR you. You don't want to sound like a random dude who has lost all passion and knows nothing about the subject at hand. Same dude who's doing it out of habit till he is no longer relevant.
Now, this is where it gets tricky. You want to be a better musician? Your real goal is to be constantly evolving as a person, let other people/activities into your life. Acknowledge, evolve, reflect your life experiences into your art. Your art is gonna evolve thanks to the love for your life. Being in that state, there will be absolutely nothing out to stop you. No " but I'm not as good" or"maybe my passion was a byproduct of the desire to fit in".
That's when flow happens, this is where you grow the most, you start inspiring others. That's where real fame, REAL success happens.

I'm sorry for the wall of text. It's just... I've seen this before. Young and inspired artist wants a piece of the world. Gets let down, he comes to me and say "I don't know why, I just don't feel like it anymore". OK ignore the last part. Just take care of yourself.

Edited by Freegator
  • Brohoof 1