Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology Problems with Windows 10

Fleur-De-Lis

Windows 10 has an annoying memory leak issue as well: https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/369uwk/does_windows_10_have_a_system_wide_memory_leak/

I had the misfortune of happening upon this little issue today, whilst I was playing Terraria.  I noticed that the game was lagging on a PC with 16 GBs of RAM, a 4770k CPU, and twin GTX 970s.  I opened up my task manager and sure enough, the System was using up 12GBs of my total RAM.

Microsoft fix these issues pls.

In terms of major (computer-go-boom-boom) issues, I haven't had any, so far...

However, I've had these few problems since I upgraded from 8.1

• My sound driver crashes, causing my computer to go mute (Restarting the Windows Audio Service fixes this)
  • Out of all of my games, Minecraft is the only one that's giving me a lot of grief with Windows 10. Mainly has to due with memory issues.
  • Sometimes, my computer refuses to resume from sleep mode.

I think these problems might be because I chose to upgrade instead of opting for a Clean Install (removes everything leaving an almost-vanilla Windows install)

DO NOT DO A CLEAN WINDOWS 10 INSTALL! I run Windows 10 and I "upgraded" as well but i've heard countless reports online about clean install win10 users having ten times more issues than people who upgraded.

Only problem I've seen so far is Windows update breaking the ethernet driver on my dad's computer when it failed to update it. It seems nothing I do fixes it. I was able to roll it back using system restore... only for update to break it again but this time not making a restore point. Needless to say, I'm probably going to wait until I can afford a new PC with Windows 10 on it before I move to it.

• 4 weeks later...

I have the exact same problem as OP but I can't fix it. It won't let me do a system restore nor create a system restore point cause the buttons are grayed out and the powershell fix I found online didn't work either. I've also tried to restart a million times. I don't know what to do anymore, it's really annoying :/

• Brohoof 1

I had a bug where the start button doesn't work.  I created a new local account and that seemed to fix it.  Apps such as Mail don't work and I have no clue how to fix it.  I'm quite fine with Windows 8.1 for now.

I've been too nervous to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm happy with the Windows version I have on already. Should I wait longer before deciding to upgrade?

You should probably wait, the new OS has a lot of bugs.

• Brohoof 1

I've been too nervous to upgrade to Windows 10. I'm happy with the Windows version I have on already. Should I wait longer before deciding to upgrade?

I see no compelling reason to upgrade at this time, or potentially ever with a current computer.  You will be forced into windows 10 the next time you buy a computer, but really unless you find software that will not run on your box, or you are going to be using your computer after your OS sunsets(2020 for win7 or 2023 for win8), it is a risk for very little benefit.

Edited by silvadel
  • Brohoof 1

After using W10 for quite a while now I say that it is really nice and I do prefer it over w7. However, if I were you I would wait until the explorer/start menu bug and the text scaling bug has been fixed cause those are really annoying.

• Brohoof 1

I found a tutorial online on how to fix the start menu bug though PowerShell but it did not work for me. I looked around in my computer and tried some stuff and actually came up with something that worked!

Here's how to do it:

0. Read all steps before doing anything.

1. Hold Ctrl+Shift and right-click on the taskbar.

2. Click on "Exit Explorer".

3. Right-click on the Windows button and open cmd as an administrator.

4. Type the following (replace USER with your username) and press enter:

del C:\Users\USER\AppData\Local\TileDataLayer\

Type Y then hit enter if it asks you if you really want to delete it.

The reason why you close the explorer before doing this is because it won't let you delete TileDataLayer otherwise since it's being "used by other apps". If it says that it still can't delete all, just press ok as the files you needed to delete should be gone.

5. Press Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open the Task manager.

6. Click File -> Run New Task.

7. Type explorer.exe and hit enter. Don't close the Task manager yet.

From here, just follow the PowerShell fix:

8. Click File -> Run New Task.

9. Press “Create this task with administrative privileges”

10. Type PowerShell

11. Copy & paste this and hit enter:

$manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest

12. Wait for it to finish then exit.

13. Reboot your computer.

Well, I had to downgrade back to Windows 8.1 (thankfully I didn't remove my PC's recovery partition from my hard drive.)

At first, Windows 10 was actually really awesome to use and, to be honest, Windows 10 is still awesome in my eyes.

However, for some reason, my PC has some problems with Windows 10. Problems like

• Crashing caused by my CPU. This still happened after updating my drivers.
  • Terrible performance for Java games (Minecraft runs like crap on Windows 10 for me. However, it runs amazingly on 8.1.)
  • My PC would crash when I put it to sleep. This means that I'd have to do a hard reboot every time I put my PC to sleep.
  • My sound driver would randomly crash. It had gotten to the point where I had to write a simple batch file that restarts the sound driver.

Hopefully these bugs will be fixed when Microsoft releases the Threshold 2 update for Windows 10.

So I haven't upgraded to Windows 10 yet because of this problem: People are saying that if you upgrade to Windows 10, you can't upgrade your hardware or it will detect it as a different computer than from the PC you upgraded to Windows 10 from. This isn't an issue on copies of Windows 10 you bought not upgraded. Some people may not care because you're not gamers or don't upgrade your hardware, but this is a massive problem for me. :(

Main problem for me is that w10 is even more insecure, sends even more of my data to Microsoft and forces me to use it if I wan the new directX version. :(

(edited)

Main problem for me is that w10 is even more insecure, sends even more of my data to Microsoft and forces me to use it if I wan the new directX version. :(

Your not missing all that much really. Despite all the fancy new tools, gadgets, widgets, doodads that come in the form of tiles. I just about never really use them, they ended up eye candy.

Also for the new Direct X version, that only really matters with newer video cards (The Direct X used is dependent on video card). Or at least that is my understanding of it. Its not something I really look into.

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis

Windows 10 has serious privacy issues. Fortunately, we're able to turn most of these features off such as your PC acting like a Windows Update server for the internet world (which can eat a lot of data).

(edited)

Windows 10 has serious privacy issues. Fortunately, we're able to turn most of these features off such as your PC acting like a Windows Update server for the internet world (which can eat a lot of data).

What is this feature? Where can i find it? How does it work? And most importantly, how can i turn it off?

*edit* I figured it out. Its under the "Update & Security" section of settings, Windows update -> advanced options -> Choose how updates are delivered.

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis

What is this feature? Where can i find it? How does it work? And most importantly, how can i turn it off?

*edit* I figured it out. Its under the "Update & Security" section of settings, Windows update -> advanced options -> Choose how updates are delivered.

Yup. There's a lot more too like the keyloggers.

Turning off Cortana would be good as a starter.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/oQDnY

I would also Google 'Windows 10 Privacy' or something like that to get a lot more resources that would show what others need turning off.

Other nasty ones would be to do with WiFi (gotta search the WiFi settings) and Windows Defender (sending "sample" files).

Edited by RainCode

Yup. There's a lot more too like the keyloggers.

Turning off Cortana would be good as a starter.

http://m.imgur.com/gallery/oQDnY

I would also Google 'Windows 10 Privacy' or something like that to get a lot more resources that would show what others need turning off.

Other nasty ones would be to do with WiFi (gotta search the WiFi settings) and Windows Defender (sending "sample" files).

Already done with Cortana, also my computer does not use WiFi so that does not pertain to me. Though I am aware of the Wi-Fi password nonsense that Windows 10 uses. I think the person that thought up that feature is an idiot. We already have an easy feature to have guests connect wo Wi-fi networks. its called Aoss. One push of a button and a device waiting to connect to the router and tada!

I haven't had problems with Windows 10 so far. But I do have one gripe.

I don't mind a mininalistic style, I think it looks nice if done right. But it goes too far when EVERYTHING looks like it was drawn in Paint within a half hour.

I mean look at Windows 7.

post-35126-0-34350300-1444219809_thumb.png

It looks like they actually put time into  the design.

Now look at 10.

post-35126-0-37005600-1444219815_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the french but... what the fuck happened here?!

I haven't had problems with Windows 10 so far. But I do have one gripe.

I don't mind a mininalistic style, I think it looks nice if done right. But it goes too far when EVERYTHING looks like it was drawn in Paint within a half hour.

I mean look at Windows 7.

It looks like they actually put time into  the design.

Now look at 10.

Sorry for the french but... what the fuck happened here?!

Pfft, trends happened.

It's not something that Microsoft is doing wrong, the flat, hard-edge simplistic style has become very popular lately if you haven't noticed. It's not just MS. It is what is considered modern among most graphic designers. So actually, they didn't go lazy, they just decided to make the theme match with all their other product designs which is a good thing to do for a company.

http://www.flatvsrealism.com/

• 2 months later...

Once again, I am suffering from CRITICAL issues involving my start menu and windows settings menus. Except this time, it wouldn't say anything was wrong, nothing would start up (not even the clock) on the system tray.

None of my quick launch icons would show, the search Windows (aka Cortana) would not work, 'nor the "Task view" button. and especially not the start menu. Yet all desktop icons and file browsing would work fine, as for most menus (windows settings from the "This computer" button would not work, you could click but nothing would happen, and right clicking to "personalize" the pc would just give an error saying files are missing.

The last major update was on 12/18/2015 there were no updates from windows since then. yet suddenly today at 12/21/2015 the start menu would not work, even after shutting down the computer and leaving it off for 1 minute, I tried that 5 times. System restore somehow managed to fix my start menu and taskbar, as well as the rest of windows 10 system menus, though I got an error message saying that system restore could not restore avast antivirus.

On a whim, I have decided to finally create and installation disc in case of emergencies in the event I lose complete functionality of the desktop (because something dangerously close to that keeps happening.)

After ensuring games, game saves, background, music collections, and work related things are backed up and up to date (as well as all necessary important drivers; especially for my Ethernet card! which still does not have a windows 10 version, but luckily the windows 7 version still works fine). *small edit* Do not forget to backup your favorite browser's bookmarks people!

Speaking of which, video card, Ethernet card, motherboard (chipset?) are the only particular drivers I should be concerned about right? Granted I also have one of those 12 in 1 card readers on my desktop, but I do not recall a particular driver being necessary for it.

Anyone have thoughts on bitdefender? I was thinking of trying a different antivirus program, in the event that in some obscure and weird reason that it may be causing problems with the OS (though it happens rarely, the problems are often severe; I am not implying that the antivirus is the cause, simply that it is a nearly unwarranted concern)

For now, after downloading the necessary installation related things. I am going to use the windows 10 settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC. from there I will use that to basically do the "clean install" option. and hopefully that will solve all my problems. I will probably write down my windows product ID while i am at it, I would hate to lose my free windows 10 pro edition. That defer updates button seems to be getting more and more enticing to use with how horribly it seems to get set back.

I should be back within a few days of attempting to do a clean install of Windows 10.

On a side note, although many of you do not see me much these days, I am still around, mostly just browsing my friend's status updates daily, though I do not always respond to them.

Edited by Fleur-De-Lis