Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Is Your Favourite Time Period In History?

Vennax

WWII era.  And obviously not because it was arguably the worst time to be a human.or because it was a good part of history.  Just because the whole era was full of the best and worst humans had to offer and the whole world was at war with itself somewhere.  All the amazing stories from the average Chinese citizen to the russian soldier on the eastern front to the american manufacturer to the scientists behind the nuclear bomb its all fascinating 

• Brohoof 1

I think I remember posting something similar to this elsewhere, but for me it has to be the Middle Ages. Specifically around the campaigns of Saladin in the Holy Land and Genghis Khan in Mongolia, which would be around the early 1200's. I just think they're fascinating campaigns of conquest and both highly influential people of their lands, I've read books on both and they make for a very engaging read. :)

The 50's. Why? Because those poodle skirts were effing adorable! Plus, I've heard some of the music, and that's also really great as well.

And let's not forget the beauty of the 90's. I don't know if it counts as a time period in history, but I still miss the old shows from the 90's. I grew up during that era, and it always makes me feel sooooo nostalgic.

• Brohoof 1

The beginning of the first world war to the end of the Great Depression's always been interesting to me. It was probably the worst time to be alive for Americans in the 20th century. Either that, or the second world war.

• 4 weeks later...

The Anglo-Saxon era in British History. I covered it quite extensively last year for my History course, and I have to say it's fascinating to see how people lived 1500 years ago. The era is shrouded in mystery because sources are scarce, and what I found most interesting was how this country went from civil and organised under the Romans to lawless and pretty much broken as the Saxons and the Vikings arrived.

• Brohoof 1

This might sound a bit tame, but I gotta go with the 90's. Not like the first 90 years of recorded history but the hip hop funky 90's. Best time period for media, ever. I think. Sure, internet was not much of a thing at all but what we did get before was magical. All of those lovely TV shows, movies and videogames that are now timeless. 

SNES? N64? Playstation?!

Shut up and take my nostalgia!

• Brohoof 2

• 4 weeks later...

1. The Industrial Revolution as it changed the course of human history

2. The Renaissance for the same reason as above

3. Mughal India - the world had never been more affluent than at this time in history

The 20th Century. Why?

Because this was New York City in 1900 (colorized, obviously):

sig-4006588.Mulberry_Street_NYC_c1900_LO

And this was New York City in 1999:

sig-4006588.6944281633_f854dd5386_b.jpg

The story of what happened in those short hundred years that spelled the end of the old Victorian Era, and the beginning of a new, globalized world that hinged on the threat of mutually assured destruction, is one that will ring through the ages. The 20th century saw cultural revolution, political upheaval, at technological advancement at previously unthinkable speeds. We saw world wars, untold destruction, crippling uncertainty, marauding super-nations that threatened naught but the apocalypse itself. But in the midst of this all, we learned to embrace life, to live and love freely. We learned the true meaning of freedom in the face of enemies that wanted to take it away. And at the end of it all, the forces of good won out, not on any battlefield, but at the table of peace.

Humanity grew up in the 20th century. We grew wise and mature. In 1914, Britain and Germany alike celebrated at the prospect of (what was then thought to be) a quick, easy war to put in their respective caps. 75 years later, all the world wept in joy that the fallout from that first great war had finally subsided, and looked ahead to a (hopefully) more peaceful future.

This is the whole truth and nothing but the truth. This is also why the 20th and 21st centuries are my favorite. :P

• Brohoof 1

• 1 year later...

I enjoy researching naval history of the 18th and early 19th centuries. Vice Admiral Nelson And Isaac Hull are some of my favorite historical figures. Something just intrigues me about the ships from that era. I have made a number models in various mediums from ships in bottles to large scale radio controlled models.

• Brohoof 1