Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do you believe in karma?

JonasDarkmane

42 users have voted

1. 1. Do you believe in karma

• Yes
    • No

Karma would be great if it was real, being rewarded for good would encourage good and being punished for bad would discourage bad. Too bad it isn't for realsies. :)

I used to. The notion is good, but i believe in only one state of existing (this one). My death's the end, so all the things iv'e done are meaningless to me unless while i was alive i genuinely believed in my actions. That's about as much of it as i have.

I consider it "the nice guys wepon/gift" if said peson is being a pain in the butt to another and the 2nd (say fluttershy or any kid that didn't have confidence to speak up) something bad would happen to said pain in the butt :lol: , sometimes seeing it automatically with some of my buddys or bullys growing up after a below the belt line was said...then again it happened 60% of the time so I do often call it chance :please:  or (grown up catholic) Gods way of laughing.....not trying to sound morbid or dark here everypony :kindness:

I don't believe so. If you do something bad, there's a good chance of having a bad consequence. If you do something good, there's a good chance of having a good consequence. Bad people can have good things happen to them, and good people can have bad things happen to them. I don't think some supernatural thing has anything to do with it and it seems more like cause and effect in some cases and in other cases, things just randomly happen for no reason. Karma would make things better off though.

• Brohoof 1

Woo-woo post here. Reader beware, etc.

I believe in the concept of Karma debt, to be specific, rather than the generic form of Karma being tossed around. It goes hand-in-hand with reincarnation.

It's an experience-based system. Someone who rapes you in the park will have to experience something very similar, so at some point (Assuming that time is non-linear for a soul) that person will need to be the recipient of a similar experience. I'm not sure if it needs to be the rapee who delivers the experience, honestly, but it's still something that needs to happen.

As useful as the sharing of experiences is, though, it can create a truly vicious cycle. It's like going on wikipedia for only one thing, and everything looks truly fascinating, so you end up with hundreds of tabs open in your browser after only ten minutes. There's so much to experience in life.

So it's a lot of karma to burn off, if you really care about those experiences. We just don't seem to be aware of it on a physical level. It all happens on a spiritual level apparently; a level far higher than what we're able to experience here.

Apparently, from what I understand, the key to breaking the cycle of karma is forgiveness, similar to what that Jesus fellow did way back in the day. It's not necessarily that you forgive the crime, but that you forgive the very need to forgive itself - as if there's nothing wrong.

If one finger cuts another finger with a hangnail or something, do you get mad at the finger? No. You just move on. Nothing actually bad happened. Everyone alive is a soul, part of some greater being, so if we're all just sharing experiences, then the very definition of good and bad is contained within these experiences. If we're just having countless experiences, then nothing is bad. So it can be forgiven no matter what happens.

... and then you have no karma to pay off. You can move on to better things at that point. It's what I'm working on now.

(Spoiler boxes make posts so much more tantalizing. :P )

I do not believe in karma, or anything of the sort, as I am a born-again Christian.  All actions and thoughts we had will be brought before us when we stand before the Lord.

I'm in the middle of all this. I don't know if I believe in karma. I haven't seen it happen. At least, not noticeably. I recall hearing that karma can be spread across lifetimes. Like, say, do something bad in one lifetime, and karma can get you back in any lifetime following. The same goes for good things. I like to think karma's real. It'd make the world a lot better if it was.

I do. I've done some pretty bad things, and they've almost always happened to me in reverse, even if it's not in the exact same way. Maybe it was just a big coincidence, but something has told me it was revenge in some way.

I believe in it, and I act based on if I would want that to happen to me...doesn't mean I still don't screw up tho  ^_^

• 4 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Depends what sort of karma you mean. 

Stresses in your life you accumulate like trauma, the environment you are in and such. Things that clearly harm you and lead to distortions within you.

Sometimes buddhism talks about these things but not always emphasises them, it's not just simple actions and intent. As for hindu karma nope. 

• 1 year later...