Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

the "Appeal" of EQG, gone up amongest the fandom?

Summer Wish

So the viral marketing videos have begun!

With FSG on the way, the EQG world is seeing a huge push both in merch and also in fanboying (girling).

With every one screaming for new Waifu's and all the Hunger Games fans all ah drewl, the question is. Has EQG finally been "Forgiven?".

If you recall a few summers ago, we as a fanbase had our first glimpse of Sunset Shimmer. The Bronydom was awash in cringe. I recall posts along the lines of "She is the WORST VILLIAN EVER" or  "Wtf is this, glee meets mlp?".

With a few die hards, who loved the refresh of hooves to hands and manes to hairstyles, EQ limped its way right into viral videos of RR..and then into RR proper.

...and well the rest is history.

With every-pony hounding Adagio for a kiss, shipping Sunset with (insert random character here) and pestering Sonata for MOAR one liners for there Tshirt collection (I still think "What do you know about good fruit punch! > Taco Tuesday, anyday) the fanbase rallied around this film. So much so a few even sniffed out a French planned spin off television show/anime.

With the marketing machine of Hasbro awhirl and new plot, and depth too the human mane6 coming through (heeelllloooooooo science nerd Sunset, and Pink Camo Pinkie!), has the appeal gone up?

With more one liners, and deeper subtexting and character depth (nope not just peanut butter crackers any more!), are not only the fanbase, but also the "normal people" finding more to watch.

Consider this, In my small community a few of us Pegasisters and Bronys have banded together for weekly episode ranting/drinking reviews and always plan cons together...yet we have noticed from our overlapping friends (gamers, nerds, hell a few local jocks even) who are not even involved in ANYTHING pony, have mentioned this up coming film to us.

Thoughts? Rants? Eye rolls? Bucks in the rear?

• Brohoof 2

I think it's definitely risen in popularity after Rainbow Rocks. When I first came to these forums I was worried I was going to be one of the only people who loves Sunset Shimmer and really into EG but I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of people like it. Rainbow Rocks is amazing, I think it definitely helped people appreciate EG after that mediocre first movie

The first EQG movie didn't do too well in terms of reception by the fandom.

The second EQG movie did much better and was, in my opinion, received better by the fandom.

So, if this trend is to continue with Friendship Games, I can safely say that Yes. Equestria Girls has been "forgiven" by the fandom.

(EQG is what got me into the Brony fandom, not Friendship is Magic)

• Brohoof 3

I think it's definitely risen in popularity after Rainbow Rocks. When I first came to these forums I was worried I was going to be one of the only people who loves Sunset Shimmer and really into EG but I was pleasantly surprised to see a lot of people like it. Rainbow Rocks is amazing, I think it definitely helped people appreciate EG after that mediocre first movie

Pretty ironic considering the poor reception the first EG had before release  :dash: . Rainbow Rocks didn't fare much better, but fortunately, the movie itself changed the minds for most of us 

I liked the movies. Ever since I joined this fandom, I've learned that Bronies often blow things way out of proportion. I heard nothing but criticism for the movies, and while they weren't necessarily grade-A material, I found them to be enjoyable. The same goes for various fanworks I see that get a lot of heat (but I'll leave that for another discussion).

I mean, I can understand people not liking the movies; they're not perfect. But they're not the absolute worst thing to ever happen ever, like I had been led to believe.

As a final statement (because I lost my train of thought, I don't know what else to say), I am looking forward to Friendship Games.

• Brohoof 2

I always was a supporter of the concept, but the first movie was executed rather poorly. The second movie was much better, and what I expected out of the first one. I think after Rainbow Rocks, many people began to accept EG as a series.

• Brohoof 1

I love how people insisted the movies did "poorly" when the movies got insanely good scores on Netflix, Amazon, IMDB, iTunes, etc. It's quite obvious that the people who "hated" the films are a minority.

While i am not hating it, i really can't get behind it. I watched the first movie and really didn't liked it. I watched the second one and while i thought it was a huge improvement and an entertaining movie, i haven't rewatched it since then. This whole franchise is leaving me cold.

It sounds a bit selfrightous, but i want to watch MLP and not this spin off show.

• Brohoof 1

I got into mlp very late in the game. When I heard that there was a humanized spinoff, I thought that it would be just like most other major spinoffs, terrible. I did not like the idea at all and avoided watching it until my curiosity got the better of me.

After watching it though, my mind was changed. It really was nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be and I actually kinda liked it. (Sort of a microcosm of giving MLP a chance in the first place)  Then I watched the second movie. Yep, I was officially a fan.

Since then they have released three short music videos and EQG stock just keeps rising in my book. If the third movie holds up to, or surpasses Rainbow Rocks in quality, I think it will be a very good thing for the series as a whole and help to cement EQG's longevity and acceptance among the fandom.       

Edited by Gearbox10mm

The first movie did fairly well despite a lot of people blowing a blood vessel over its mere existence. But it didn't blow up in popularity until Rainbow Rocks

• Brohoof 2

The appeal of EqG has done a near 180 for me. I was practically morally offended by the premise of EqG when I found out about it. I watched the first movie with horror and dreaded the next one. But Rainbow Rocks made me appreciate Equestria Girls, because I actually enjoyed that movie. Certain elements I still don't like, such as I'll never say I think the high school setting was a good idea (I would have prefered college). But now I love the heck out of Sunset Shimmer, have a collection of the dolls, and look forward to the new movie! 

I love how people insisted the movies did "poorly" when the movies got insanely good scores on Netflix, Amazon, IMDB, iTunes, etc. It's quite obvious that the people who "hated" the films are a minority.

Yeah, but we can't forget the good thime we had reading rants EG had before release  :lol: . Ah, those were fun days :sigh:  -_-

Yeah, but we can't forget the good thime we had reading rants EG had before release  :lol: . Ah, those were fun days :sigh:  -_-

Yet those people always seemed to insist that this was the majority's opinion as well. Yet:

https://play.google.com/store/movies/details?id=Ah82x84XU2s&utm_source=na_Med&utm_medium=hasem&utm_campaign=MoviesActAd&pcampaignid=MKT-DR-na-us-all-Med-actads-mo-Evergreen-Jun2315-1-movies&gclid=CJC9_MvBoscCFRYHNwodpGsEng&gclsrc=ds

https://itunes.apple.com/us/movie/my-little-pony-equestria-girls/id874174759?ign-mpt=uo%3D5

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/my_little_pony_equestria_girls/

If this is what a bad movie looks like, me thinks that perhaps bronies have insanely high standards?

Or those funny times where other Bronies attacked us for saying that we liked Equestria Girls. That was actually a lot of fun for me, especially on DeviantArt :P

• Brohoof 1

Objectively speaking, EG was underwhelming though, or at least I no longer feel like watching it again  :P , despite that it was better than I expected

Or those funny times where other Bronies attacked us for saying that we liked Equestria Girls. That was actually a lot of fun for me, especially on DeviantArt :P

Not to mention that after they showed the humane6 art, we started speculating if it was some fan art or a new project. Then, they showed the horrid toy art and we all dreaded the previous ones were dumped and those were going to be used for the movie  :lol:

I was never into Friendship is Magic. Equestria Girls and Rainbow Rocks are why I am here. I ocasionally watch a FiM episode for some reason, like to see how they brought back Tirek who I remembred was a cool villain I liked back in the 80's, or to hear Q.

• 4 weeks later...

I love the movies! They're great! :squee:  I just don't like the merch that much.  :kindness:

Would you like the merch more if the dolls actually looked like the characters do in the show? Because although I would never consider buying girls dolls, the fact the dolls and their accompanying art look nothing like the show has always bugged me.