Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Thunder Dash: The Lunar Symphony [Orchestral] (WIP only first 2 movements)

Courageous Thunder Dash

Two years...1 movement to go. 

Ladies and gentlemen...it is with honor that I present to you...the first two movements of my most highly anticipated works...

The Lunar Symphony: A Tribute to Princess Luna

https://pony.fm/tracks/2853-lunar-symphony-1st-and-2nd-movement-only

Critique is greatly appreciated. 

Edited by C. Thunder Dash
  • Brohoof 1

Only issue I noticed with it is the inconsistent volume; it's either way too quiet or way too loud.

Here's the waveform in Audacity:

sig-4014250.sig-4014250.BAaOVrl.png

The parts I lined in green are too quiet.  It's audible, at least, but those parts should be a lot louder; there's plenty of room.

The parts I circled in red are severe clipping, where the music suddenly turns into fuzzy crackly distortion.  I listened to the music before looking at the waveform, and hearing that excessively loud distortion after the silence was very jarring and unexpected.  The quiet parts should be compressed more, and the overly loud parts should be lowered, and a limiter should be placed on the whole thing (-0.3 dB or lower would probably be good).

Here's what a commercial orchestral track looks like ("Eagle Claw, Pt. 2" from Black Ops).  The volume is nice and balanced:

sig-4014250.sig-4014250.wjomYnp.png

Thanks for the critique. I was thinking about compressing those loud parts. But I'll go back in my main software and lower the volume of the audio unit, which is what's causing the clipping. 

• Brohoof 1

Two years, holy Celestia...  :o

I wish you good luck with your work.

The pieces very different by mood as I noticed. Are they going to make a story as a whole?

Well, because they're called "movements", they are very different in style, even though they're classical. 

This piece is about Princess Luna, specifically her personality. The first movement, as you may have heard, was her spontaneous personality. The second movement is her tranquility and elegance. The third will be about her bravery and ability to overcome all of the trials in her life. It will be fast. 

• Brohoof 1