Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spoiler My Lazy Writters: How Rainbow Rocks and Equestria Girls are the same movie

Commander Frost

I've tagged this thread as SPOILER for anyone who hasn't seen either of the 2 movies as a warning to anyone who doesn't want a spoiler. If you are okay with continuing to read this please proceed.

How many of you were excited when Equestria Girls came out? How about Rainbow Rocks? Are you excited for Friendship games soon? Well, what if I told you that Hasbro is so low on ideas that they are recycling their own work?

That's right people, Hasbro pulled a Toy Story 2/3 move. They recycled the plot and put it in a new way so that you wouldn't notice that it was basically the same movie.

So enough talk! Let's get on with the comparing!

Here we have
12 Reasons why MLPEG is the same movie as MLPRR

1. Both movies begin with shots of the moon in almost the EXACT SAME SPOT

2. Both movies have Antagonist(s) that are limited in the world they are in and are trying to gain power to get a big population (EG:Equestria RR:The human world) To follow in their rule. Also we've NEVER HEARD OF THEM BEFORE THEIR MOVIE
3. Every time there is a problem for the main characters it is resolved easily within mere minutes of the problem being announced (EG: Twilight being framed   RR: The band breaking up)
4. At some point in the movie all the main protagonists are angry at each other
5. Antagonist uses said anger to their advantage (EG: Sunset shimmer broke them apart so they would hate each other; which she liked   RR: The Dazzlings fed off their hate to gain power)
6. Antagonist(s) gets the entire school to play in accordance to their plans (EG: Everyone feared Sunset Shimmer and she used it to get what she wanted   RR: The Dazzlings use the students to gain the magic inside the mane 7 by spreading hate through everyone until they find who isn't arguing, and then try to make them argue)
7. Both movies have a song sung in the cafeteria where one of the performers is on a table for a point of the song. (EG: Rainbowdash stands on the table  RR: Adagio walks on the table)
8. Both movies have that one jocky guy who wants to be with the main charachter (Flash)
9. There is a big event coming up that requires the ENTIRE school to be there for it (EG: Fall Formal  RR: Battle of the Bands)
10. The Antagonist(s) gains the power they were searching for before loosing it a mere 5-9 minutes later.
11. Antagonist(s) Use said power to control EVERYONE who goes to the school
12. After the antagonist(s) is defeated, Just for good measure, There is one more new song* song.
*By new I mean one that isn't reused for the credits

So you see? The SAME movie! You just didn't know it because it was showed to you in a different way.

My theory for Friendship Games is that it will somehow be the exact same as it's first predecessors,

So, what do you think of all this?

Edited by Commander Frost
  • Brohoof 4

hmm i never noticed that before. and you're right. the only difference I can really see in Friendship games is that Twilight won't be part of the protagonists at least not at first

• Brohoof 2

hmm i never noticed that before. and you're right. the only difference I can really see in Friendship games is that Twilight won't be part of the protagonists at least not at first

Yeah, I think she'll switch over to Canterlot High.

Yes, but most of these are cheap similarities. Those being (mainly) 1, 8 and 12. It's re-using elements, for example, the confrontation scene in all three movies. But I can see that whole overused school-wide event thing is getting annoying now.

Friendship Games should be fresh, I can't see there being a cafeteria song, they are totally going to make an "It's On" song there, aren't they?

• Brohoof 3

Yes, but most of these are cheap similarities. Those being (mainly) 1, 8 and 12. It's re-using elements, for example, the confrontation scene in all three movies. But I can see that whole overused school-wide event thing is getting annoying now.

Friendship Games should be fresh, I can't see there being a cafeteria song, they are totally going to make an "It's On" song there, aren't they?

Well NOW they are! You jinxed us!

And yes I realize some of these are very minor, but it's still repeats :P

• Brohoof 1

I've tagged this thread as SPOILER for anyone who hasn't seen either of the 2 movies as a warning to anyone who doesn't want a spoiler. If you are okay with continuing to read this please proceed.

How many of you were excited when Equestria Girls came out? How about Rainbow Rocks? Are you excited for Friendship games soon? Well, what if I told you that Hasbro is so low on ideas that they are recycling their own work?

That's right people, Hasbro pulled a Toy Story 2/3 move. They recycled the plot and put it in a new way so that you wouldn't notice that it was basically the same movie.

So enough talk! Let's get on with the comparing!

Here we have

12 Reasons why MLPEG is the same movie as MLPRR

1. Both movies begin with shots of the moon in almost the EXACT SAME SPOT

2. Both movies have Antagonist(s) that are limited in the world they are in and are trying to gain power to get a big population (EG:Equestria RR:The human world) To follow in their rule. Also we've NEVER HEARD OF THEM BEFORE THEIR MOVIE

3. Every time there is a problem for the main characters it is resolved easily within mere minutes of the problem being announced (EG: Twilight being framed   RR: The band breaking up)

4. At some point in the movie all the main protagonists are angry at each other

5. Antagonist uses said anger to their advantage (EG: Sunset shimmer broke them apart so they would hate each other; which she liked   RR: The Dazzlings fed off their hate to gain power)

6. Antagonist(s) gets the entire school to play in accordance to their plans (EG: Everyone feared Sunset Shimmer and she used it to get what she wanted   RR: The Dazzlings use the students to gain the magic inside the mane 7 by spreading hate through everyone until they find who isn't arguing, and then try to make them argue)

7. Both movies have a song sung in the cafeteria where one of the performers is on a table for a point of the song. (EG: Rainbowdash stands on the table  RR: Adagio walks on the table)

8. Both movies have that one jocky guy who wants to be with the main charachter (Flash)

9. There is a big event coming up that requires the ENTIRE school to be there for it (EG: Fall Formal  RR: Battle of the Bands)

10. The Antagonist(s) gains the power they were searching for before loosing it a mere 5-9 minutes later.

11. Antagonist(s) Use said power to control EVERYONE who goes to the school

12. After the antagonist(s) is defeated, Just for good measure, There is one more new song* song.

*By new I mean one that isn't reused for the credits

So you see? The SAME movie! You just didn't know it because it was showed to you in a different way.

My theory for Friendship Games is that it will somehow be the exact same as it's first predecessors,

So, what do you think of all this?

1. Is completely irrelevant. The moon being in the same spot hardly has relevance to the plot being similar.
  2. But that is a very common goal of villains in general. World domination, etc. The sirens are different from Sunset in that they were using their natural power source to get stronger, whereas Sunset needed to rely on other sources and was out for vengeance. The sirens were more or less just fulfilling what they believed to be their purpose. Their end goals may be similar, but that's why they are villains, they generally want bad things.
  3. That's due to the fact that the "movies" are short as hell. At less than an hour and 10 minutes for each, they run into pacing problems. This issue can less be attributed to recycled tropes, and more to the fact that they need to stop making the plot so big for such a short film.
  4. Yeah, but that plot is recycled repeatedly in episodes as well.
  5. That is generally a good plan... When your enemies are in disarray and poor cooperation, take advantage of the situation.
  6. But they accomplished it in two different ways.
  7. And?
  8. Errr that's because one is a direct sequel to the other. Did you just expect characters to go away?
  9. This is common in schools.
  10. Bad pacing again.
  11. Well it becomes necessary. Sunset surely did not hope to take over all of Equestria on her own? And the Sirens only got stronger by absorbing anger.
  12. And?

A lot of your points are pretty weak.

1. Is completely irrelevant. The moon being in the same spot hardly has relevance to the plot being similar.
  2. But that is a very common goal of villains in general. World domination, etc. The sirens are different from Sunset in that they were using their natural power source to get stronger, whereas Sunset needed to rely on other sources and was out for vengeance. The sirens were more or less just fulfilling what they believed to be their purpose. Their end goals may be similar, but that's why they are villains, they generally want bad things.
  3. That's due to the fact that the "movies" are short as hell. At less than an hour and 10 minutes for each, they run into pacing problems. This issue can less be attributed to recycled tropes, and more to the fact that they need to stop making the plot so big for such a short film.
  5. That is generally a good plan... When your enemies are in disarray and poor cooperation, take advantage of the situation.
  7. And?
  8. Errr that's because one is a direct sequel to the other. Did you just expect characters to go away?
  10. Bad pacing again.
  11. Well it becomes necessary. Sunset surely did not hope to take over all of Equestria on her own? And the Sirens only got stronger by absorbing anger.
  12. And?

Well gee thanks for shattering my dreams ;~;

Just kidding. Your opinion is your opinion. I wasn't trying to put down the movies in any way, because I love both of them, I was just comparing the two.

• Brohoof 1

You might make a point, but your list is really silly and doesn't help you, lol.

The only point you can make is that they both are about a school event with a villain twist, but thats all you can really say.. The themes are different, and the character conflicts can't really be compared in the same way.

Yeah. Looks like the third will be the same too.

They both relied on some kind of competition. The competition ends up taking a backseat to supernatural elements except that they're needed in order for the main plot to be resolved. Both movies rely on a girl trying to fit into a school. Twilight in the first; Sunset in the second. Probably the new Twilight in the third. The antagonists' ultimate desires seem vague and their plans of action convoluted. They're both about popularity too.

They do have a lot of similarities. This series is one where risk isn't taken a whole lot. The third movie might take heavy inspiration from the first EQ film, the FiM pilot and some other elements. Even Moondancer is a character that seems similar to the new Twilight.

• Brohoof 3

You might make a point, but your list is really silly and doesn't help you, lol.

The only point you can make is that they both are about a school event with a villain twist, but thats all you can really say.. The themes are different, and the character conflicts can't really be compared in the same way.

I'm not making this to help me. I made this because these are the things I noticed.

7. And?
  10. Bad pacing again.
  12. And?

I think his post  is supposed to be a joke  :huh:

• Brohoof 2

I agree the moon doesn't have much to do with the plot, and I'd also like to add that never hearing about villains before they appear is pretty standard for the show proper, too.

That's all I've got to say, though. You might be right.

• Brohoof 1

It's basically the same thing that they're doing with the, as Silver Quill likes to call it, the "Epic 2-Parter Mad-Lib" that's been going on throughout the show's run. I think they're working with a similar pattern here to continue to grow and improve on the plots by increasing investment, stakes, and bringing in our now growing characters.

Honestly, you'd have thought Sunset Shimmer would've made some friends in the years she's spent at Canterlot High

I'd have loved to see her become friends with Human Twilight before the first movie and then become confused when Pony Twilight shows up

Rework the series from the ground up

• Brohoof 1

Actually, They're Completely Different Movies, I Know That Some Of The Stuff Are The Same But It Has A Different Plot, Rainbow Rocks Is About Music And Stopping A Villain Group From Feeding Off Magic To Make Everyone Fight, And Equestria Girls Is About Twilight Trying To Win The Fall Formal Crown And Uniting Friendship..... But I Do Hope That There Isn't An Argument With CHS Students In Friendship Games, They've Done That With Equestria Girls And Rainbow Rocks, They Need To Start Clean

I did notice the villain choices are similar. Get an alpha high school mean girls lead (Sunset Shimmer, Adagio Dazzle). Then give them bumbling goons (Aria Blaze + Sonata Dusk, Snips and Snails).

The sirens also came from Equestria.

The sirens just didn't seem that big deal as villains.

Edited by cider float

There is no indication of this. People tend not to fall for the "I was only pretending!" excuse.

Yet, those comparisons to claim that both movies are exactly the same, are WAY too absurd to be intended to be taken seriously  :huh: . Sometimes, I think we need someone to ask us.....

why_so_serious-wide.jpg

If they use that same "magic rainbow beam that is somehow every villain's end at this point" cliche I am going to throw up rainbows all over my screen. I hope they don't resort to this in the third movie, however even the small bit about a giant shimmery unicorn being born from rainbow beams and then annihilating it's opposition with more rainbow beams... At least it's different each time.

• 1 month later...

I'm not sure why everyone thinks this is me trying to make a big statement. I did this for fun. The points are silly becayse they're supposed to be.

• Brohoof 1

In many ways the three movies seem to be similar to each other a lot. They also have been reusing the whole lose magic/cutie mark theme from every major villain a tad too much Chrysalis and Sombra the exceptions.