Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Pegasister or Brony?

cookiequester

People usually call me a brony since I'm Male.

It's weird how they don't really fit into each other, for example, you can call a female fan of the show a pegasister or a brony, but you can't call a boy fan of the show a pegasister and only a brony.

I'll be honest I'm confused. Wasn't it women that prefer to have a female specific description for pretty much everything and dislike masculine pronouns like he, him, men being a general term to describe men and women? So wouldn't women prefer to be called Pegasisters?

I guess not. Tbh "Pegasister" does sound kinda wierd.

I'm a typical male, so I'll say Brony even though I do not use it often. I always thought Pegasister and Brony were harmless names, but I guess I do not share the same sentiments as others. You should be able to call yourself whatever you want.

I'll be honest I'm confused. Wasn't it women that prefer to have a female specific description for pretty much everything and dislike masculine pronouns like he, him, men being a general term to describe men and women? So wouldn't women prefer to be called Pegasisters?

Hold on a second, there.

The title 'Pegasister' was not created because women want a feminine term for everything. It was created because the fandom title chosen for the fandom is decisively masculine, and yes, a great number of women won't take too kindly too.

If the fandom title chosen had been gender-neutral from the start, there would be no "Pegasister" title. It is a reactionary title - nothing more, nothing less.

And you really need to stop lumping all women together. We do not all think the same on this or any issue. Some like or don't mind being called Bronies. Some prefer to be called Pegasisters. Some (like me) don't see the need for fandom titles whatsoever, and are just MLP fans.

But to be safe, I wouldn't refer to anyone as either unless they have stated so. They are self-appointed titles, and it's rude to stamp them on others (a general message I'm making here, not aimed at you in particular).

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 3

Hold on a second, there.

The title 'Pegasister' was not created because women want a feminine term for everything. It was created because the fandom title chosen for the fandom is decisively masculine, and yes, a great number of women won't take too kindly too.

If the fandom title chosen had been gender-neutral from the start, there would be no "Pegasister" title. It is a reactionary title - nothing more, nothing less.

And you really need to stop lumping all women together. We do not all think the same on this or any issue. Some like or don't mind being called Bronies. Some prefer to be called Pegasisters. Some (like me) don't see the need for fandom titles whatsoever, and are just MLP fans.

But to be safe, I wouldn't refer to anyone as either unless they have stated so. They are self-appointed titles, and it's rude to stamp them on others (a general message I'm making here, not aimed at you in particular).

The term pegasister was created to give a feminine identification for women that want to associate with bronies but not be called a "bro." This understanding that women want a term that signifies they are women for all areas is something many bronies felt that women want because women in general have been wanting this sort of clarification from feminists to traditional women in the workplace like women in the force would rather be called policewoman rather than policeman which was just an all gender encompassing term and merely described the position of a job not gender even if it has the word "man" in it. I learned this from college from a feminist so let's not start lunging at each other's throats? I got you and understand you want to be called whatever you want to, but don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do because that is how I learned it.

Don't blame me, I was just following the pattern that women in general wanted.

Edited by cider float

The term pegasister was created to give a feminine identification for women that want to associate with bronies but not be called a "bro." This understanding that women want a term that signifies they are women for all areas is something many bronies felt that women want because women in general have been wanting this sort of clarification from feminists to traditional women in the workplace like women in the force would rather be called policewoman rather than policeman which was just an all gender encompassing term and merely described the position of a job not gender even if it has the word "man" in it. I learned this from college from a feminist so let's not start lunging at each other's throats? I got you and understand you want to be called whatever you want to, but don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do because that is how I learned it.

Don't blame me, I was just following the pattern that women in general wanted.

Well, what I'm saying is that if there is no reason to perceive a title as gendered male, women won't see any reason to create a feminine version... Not sure if you're disagreeing with that? Because originally it was framed (from my perception) that if the title had been truthfully gender-neutral, women still would have created the Pegasister term, and that's just silly. It's not a separatist term, just "I'm not a bro".

"but don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do because that is how I learned it."

What are you referring to here?

Well, what I'm saying is that if there is no reason to perceive a title as gendered male, women won't see any reason to create a feminine version... Not sure if you're disagreeing with that? Because originally it was framed (from my perception) that if the title had been truthfully gender-neutral, women still would have created the Pegasister term, and that's just silly. It's not a separatist term, just "I'm not a bro".

"but don't tell me what I should and shouldn't do because that is how I learned it."

What are you referring to here?

Well I was like you before so yeah I would rather that people sit on a gender neutral term that has already been laid out. Like a policeman refers to the job and not to any particular gender but it was really a feminist instructor that told me that wasn't how it really was.

I prefer brony, but I don't care much personally-if you concider me a pegisister, fine. A brony? Fine. But if you don't like the term "Pegisister" people should respect that opinion and call you a brony.

Edited by KatieBelle
  • Brohoof 1

I personally believe that gender doesn't exist (sex does exist, but gender was made up) so there is no need to create separate names for genders within a fandom. I think the term "brony" was coined because the first adults to clue into and call attention to the fact that FIM is actually a good show despite being intended for children, were males who identify as "men" (I put the word in quotes because "men" refers to gender, not sex and as I said, I don't believe in gender). They were aware that by expressing their appreciation of the show they were going against gender normalisms, so they made up a title for themselves that expressed the construct of "masculinity" (ie: "bro") As the word got out about FIM, more people including many females joined the herd and because many people do not agree with the belief that gender doesn't exist, some of them felt the need to create a more "feminine" title for female fans. Thus, "pegasister" was born.

So I personally never saw the need for a new title for "women" fans. I also don't really see the need for the original title to have purposefully included "masculine" connotations, or for "bro" to even be considered "masculine", since again, I don't believe in gender.

But those are the words that we have created and for the sake of simplicity, I prefer to use the original title, "brony" as a general term for MLP fans. And as a female, I use "brony" to describe myself because that helps to break down the gender normalisms. That being said, I really don't care who calls themselves what and I'll use whatever individuals want me to use to refer to them. I do think it would be cool if more "men" took on the title "pegasister", just to further break down this new, unnecessary gendered term we accidentally created.

• Brohoof 1

I am not a girl but I personally think that 'Brony' is just a more appealing word, for some odd reason. I think it rolls off the tongue far better. Could be because it is shorter but I have always used it as the general term.

Well, I'm male, but, allow me to say that I think "pegasister" sounds way cooler than "brony"(brony kinda sounds like some snack you would eat by the middle of the afternoon). And, I really dislike the idea of separating the fandom by gender, but I like the way it seems to be going now: everyone can just choose from two options the one they prefer and have that respected(am I being way too optimistic about that?)and, since anyone can pick any, those words are now uselles to specify gender. Also, I wouldn't mind being called either but, if I had to choose, I would choose "My Little Pony fan".

It is better to call a female member of the fandom a Pegasister, as females are not suited to the 'Bro' part of Brony.

That's a shallow way of viewing the "brony" title. For one, "bro" isn't merely confined to male friends anymore. Depending on where you live, you have patches of people, including girls, refer to their friends regardless of gender as "bros" to reflect their tight bond. A person doesn't have to be a boy to be a "bro." Also, a lot of girls really dislike the term "pegasister" because you're putting the female gender — the demographic expected to like FIM — on an island separated from the rest of the fandom whereas "brony" has a gender-neutral, feminist backdrop.

• Brohoof 1

Female fan here, and I'm not a big fan of either name to be honest. Pegasister is as others have said, just a shallow label that divides the fans based on gender. More than that though, it just doesn't sound good. Also, why a pegasus?

Brony, on the other hand, while more appealing sounding to a degree, still sounds masculine no matter how you slice it, and you can't shake people's perceptions of that. If they hear "brony" they are going to think "bro" no matter what, because language matters. You can't really call it gender neutral in all fairness if it's using "bro" as a catch-all for everyone. Not all girls want to be bros (I personally do not mind). I have my doubts that a more feminine sounding catch-all term for FiM fans would go over well with the majority, so why does a masculine sounding one get the pass? To be truly gender neutral, you'd need a term that connotes neither gender. That, or society would need to change its social constructs.

With all of that said though, It really doesn't matter to me. They're just names made up by people. Words. Call me what you will. :P

• Brohoof 2

Someone should come up with a truly gender neutral term other than mlp fan as well and brony and pegasister so that you have a third option to choose from

• Brohoof 2

Female fan here, and I'm not a big fan of either name to be honest. Pegasister is as others have said, just a shallow label that divides the fans based on gender. More than that though, it just doesn't sound good. Also, why a pegasus?

Brony, on the other hand, while more appealing sounding to a degree, still sounds masculine no matter how you slice it, and you can't shake people's perceptions of that. If they hear "brony" they are going to think "bro" no matter what, because language matters. You can't really call it gender neutral in all fairness if it's using "bro" as a catch-all for everyone. Not all girls want to be bros (I personally do not mind). I have my doubts that a more feminine sounding catch-all term for FiM fans would go over well with the majority, so why does a masculine sounding one get the pass? To be truly gender neutral, you'd need a term that connotes neither gender. That, or society would need to change its social constructs.

Agreed. I really could not care less what the majority (or any number of people) is somehow accepting as gender-neutral. "Bro" is a shortened form of "brother", which is masculine without any doubt. And it's true... If it were a term slanted feminine, it would have a much harder time being accepted as 'neutral', and that really bothers me. Language does matter, and I will not accept masculine terms as gender-neutral. To call something gendered gender-neutral doesn't make any sense... It's defeating the point of a term being gender-neutral, if it quite simply isn't.

• Brohoof 2

Someone should come up with a truly gender neutral term other than mlp fan as well and brony and pegasister so that you have a third option to choose from

How about "Pone-Ups"? As in grown ups who like My Little Pony. The original term "brony" was invented to reflect the fact that the new fan group fell way outside of the target demographic by being male. Now, the main thing that sets us apart from the target demographic is age. We're adults. We're grown up fans of My Little Pony. We're Pone-Ups. Or Pone Ups. Or Poneups. Or Ponups. Do you like it? Which spelling looks best?