Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Should there be a male character centered episode?

Dawning Demon

Should there be a male character centered episode?  

39 users have voted

1. 1. Should there be a male character centered episode?

• Yes
    • No

None of the episodes are female-centric to begin with, no. I feel like MLP isn't the kind of show to tackle the topic of a male or female centered issue anyway. I think a pointless slice of life episode featuring the male cast would be fine, but otherwise I'm gonna have to say no.

• Brohoof 1

A little bit of equality in Equestria would go a long way.

I think it would be really quite interesting if every time they made a new character they randomly determined their gender by the toss of a coin, but I don't think that it's too important since I can't think of many episodes where it would have had a meaningful impact.

"Just For Sidekicks" was about as close as an episode has gotten to featuring a male character almost exclusively, or at least placing a male character solely in the limelight. However, the large population of female characters makes it really, really unlikely that we'll see only male characters in an episode.

The lack of male-centeredness doesn't bother me, though. One of the core elements (hyuk hyuk) of MLP was bringing female characters to the fore without relegating them to stereotypically girlish (that is, passive) behavior or diminishing the fact they are indeed female. It's rare for an episode to contrast traditionally masculine versus feminine traits. Everyone -- or everypony -- in Equestria is treated as their own person, and that's a big part of the show's appeal.

• Brohoof 1

Absolutely. 

This is particularly notable in Make New Friends, But Keep Discord, where Discord is supposed to already be truly reformed. While earlier hostilities shown by the characters may have been understandable, here its completely unwarranted. He's already established himself since Twilight's Kingdom as a friend and reformed, yet he's treated as a complete stranger and spurned by the Mane 6, including Twilight who had earlier reconciled and befriended him.

The writers lead the audience to believe that Discord's outburst was solely a fault on his part, even through Fluttershy initially acknowledges she was wrong, and none of Discord's alleged allies extended him an olive branch to help him. Indeed even Celestia, Discord's presumed date according to Fluttershy, stood by and laughed. This is not any lesson of friendship, but of neglect and abuse. Fluttershy and the others should have apologized to Discord just as much as he did to them.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who was annoyed at how Discord was treated in that episode. I feel the Mane Six, particularly Fluttershy, got derailed for the purpose of the plot. Fluttershy acted totally oblivious to Discord's obviously strange behaviour, and totally neglected to show him any kindness. She did give an explanation on why she didn't consider him for her +1 (she assumed he already had a ticket since him and Princess Celestia were friends) but this was only ever mentioned once and never recapped again. My least favourite scene, though, was probably the joke scene... that wasn't part of learning a valuable lesson, it was just unnecessary cruelty.

• Brohoof 1

None of the episodes are female-centric to begin with, no. I feel like MLP isn't the kind of show to tackle the topic of a male or female centered issue anyway. I think a pointless slice of life episode featuring the male cast would be fine, but otherwise I'm gonna have to say no.

Every episode (with the exception of the Spike ones) is female-centric.  All of the main cast of characters are female.  Most of the people here aren't talking about addressing gender related issues, just that it would be nice to see a few of the male characters taken out of the background and fleshed out a bit.

For example characters like:

Spike, Big Mac, Discord, Shining Armor, Doctor Whooves, Bulk Biceps ect.

The only one that really interests me from that line-up is Big Mac. The others annoy or bore me. 

• Brohoof 1

The only one that really interests me from that line-up is Big Mac. The others annoy or bore me. 

I would put it to you that the reason most of those characters are so annoying and boring (I agree by the way) is that they've never been given enough screen time to develop into anything more interesting, they are essentially little more than background props.

• Brohoof 2

There are already male-centered episodes. Spike gets one or two every season and Discord got his first with the Gala episode. I don't think any other character like Big Mac or Bulk Biceps is developed enough to have it's own episode. They hardly talk and thus are not interesting from writer's perspective.

Absolutely. 

This is particularly notable in Make New Friends, But Keep Discord, where Discord is supposed to already be truly reformed. While earlier hostilities shown by the characters may have been understandable, here its completely unwarranted. He's already established himself since Twilight's Kingdom as a friend and reformed, yet he's treated as a complete stranger and spurned by the Mane 6, including Twilight who had earlier reconciled and befriended him.

The writers lead the audience to believe that Discord's outburst was solely a fault on his part, even through Fluttershy initially acknowledges she was wrong, and none of Discord's alleged allies extended him an olive branch to help him. Indeed even Celestia, Discord's presumed date according to Fluttershy, stood by and laughed. This is not any lesson of friendship, but of neglect and abuse. Fluttershy and the others should have apologized to Discord just as much as he did to them.

Its hardly surprising why so many insist on more male focus in the show. The main male characters are either nonexistant or aren't given proper respect. Spike is treated as a joke and can never get over himself. Big Mac is limited to one liners. And Discord is still treated as a perpetual villain, even though he's been shown to be fully reformed. A little bit of equality in Equestria would go a long way.

Discord is not fully reformed. Why would heb e treated otherwise? What he have really done so far to gain trust of other ponies? He enjoyed suffering of other ponies in Princess Twilight Sparkle, he caused main conflict in Three's a Crowd, he betrayed Equestria in Twilight's Kingdom and he also act as antagonist in Make new Friends but keep Discord. He never used his magic for good or to help anyone. Just because Fluttershy enjoy spending time with him doesn't make him reformed. Just like her spending time with wild manticore doesn't mean that the beast is reformed  and ready to play with kids.

Until Discord help Mane6 in significant way out of his own free will, there is no reason for Mane5 to treat him as anything else than garbage. They can tolerate him but they will not act as a doormat.

It wouldn't really make much of a difference. Besides, there have already been episodes focused on a male character, Spike! (And to a lesser extent Discord.)

well there was a pinkiepie and cranky episode sooo i gues that counts dont remember how to spell the donkeys name lol.

well there was a pinkiepie and cranky episode sooo i gues that counts dont remember how to spell the donkeys name lol.

Personally I'd like to see an episode with males in, maybe a hearts and hooves type episode from the males perspective, see if there are any background ponies with crushes on the mane 6, in my mind that'd be very cute! Imagine bulking biceps having a crush on fluttershy (and discord getting angry about it! XD) or doc hooves liking applejack!

Obvious "does Spike not count?" comment aside, we're overdue for a Big Mac episode

Edited by Megas75

While I would watch something like the gender-bent episode a lot of you are bringing up, as I find it a rather interesting trope that just doesn't seem to be brought out enough, but for the most part, the whole point of the show was to give proper limelight and quality to female personalities so that they don't appear as inferior to males, and why would they do that? Media is so filled with male leads that at this point we need to have fully-female casts just to balance it out. Besides, we've already seen that they kinda suck at portraying guys in the show, just look at just about any episode where Spike is the lead, and you'll see what I mean.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, and assuming we are only counting ponies (IE Discord and Spike are null and already have thier own episodes anyways) Big Mac and Shining Armor nwe'd thier own episode (doesn't have to be together but it would work if they were together)

Why try to change things now? Part of the show's charm, a very big part for me, is having a cast of strong female characters. 99% of other animated shows have mainly male characters. Why not leave MLP:FIM as is?

I don't see a problem with at least one episode being fully centered on a male character.

Your post has a pretty hypocritical view, why cant we say that with other shows? Why do they need more female characters?

• Brohoof 1

In truth is I think a few good eps of one of Big Mac on his life on the farm or solving a problem would make a good ep and one of Armor also in having to rule the CE while his wife away and dealing with the choices and problems.  

I don't see a problem with at least one episode being fully centered on a male character.

Your post has a pretty hypocritical view, why cant we say that with other shows? Why do they need more female characters?

I never said it couldn't be said about any other shows. I'm talking about the basic premise of the show. I only said "Why not leave MLP:FIM as it is?" I didn't say "NO! DON'T YOU DARE!" I just think changing the basic formula might ruin it.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

I think Shining has some potential as a character. They could show what made him decide to join the Royal Guards, or how he and Cadence met and fell in love, expand on his and Twilight's relationship (Maybe he didn't like her when she was born), or even better, expand on his and Spike's relationship

I'm gonna say no, and let me tell you why before you tear me apart and call me a sexist

Out of the minimal cast of male characters in the show (minus Spike), the three that would be the most likely to be picked are Shining Armor, Discord, and Macintosh. Discord doesn't really need another episode this season, and any episode that involves Shining would need to involve Cadence for any sort of a plot with their current situation, negating the idea of a male-centered episode. And although an episode centered on Macintosh would be interesting to see, I don't see how they'd create a plot that doesn't relate to thievery (ie Smarty Pants, if he still has her). An episode on thievery would fit much better on Spike, who's young and can not only relate to the target audience a lot more, but be a lot more likely to do that kind of thing.

So unless it's Spike I don't think you need one.

• Brohoof 1

I'm gonna say no, and let me tell you why before you tear me apart and call me a sexist

Out of the minimal cast of male characters in the show (minus Spike), the three that would be the most likely to be picked are Shining Armor, Discord, and Macintosh. Discord doesn't really need another episode this season, and any episode that involves Shining would need to involve Cadence for any sort of a plot with their current situation, negating the idea of a male-centered episode. And although an episode centered on Macintosh would be interesting to see, I don't see how they'd create a plot that doesn't relate to thievery (ie Smarty Pants, if he still has her). An episode on thievery would fit much better on Spike, who's young and can not only relate to the target audience a lot more, but be a lot more likely to do that kind of thing.

So unless it's Spike I don't think you need one.

Pretty sure he's getting another episode this season.