Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Youtube Link and Help Page doesnt work.

Moony the Cat

Hy. I have a question regarding the Youtube segment of the contact information.

Whatever i type in there, nothing works.

Ive typed in my name, the normal youtubelink and only the numbers and letters that appear at the end of the link.

But if you click on the link, it just says : Channel does not exist. Even if i right click and say open new tab it does that.

It only works if you copy the link and then paste it directly in your browser.

Is it supposed to only work this way?

Or am i doing something wrong? :wacko:

Also on a side not, if you click on the help files from SCS and then click on a section, the rainbowdash loading screen appears but it doesnt open the section. You have to right click and open a new tab. Dont know if this need another topic though.

• Brohoof 1

It's because of the way the links work. I clicked your channel link, and this is the link that comes up:

https://www.youtube.com/user/https%3A//www.youtube.com/channel/UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw

What it is trying to do is put the user name after the /user/ 

The link you used is the link, which puts it after the /user/

And your channel name is obviously not https%3A//www.youtube.com/channel/UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw

I suggest you just put the name of your channel, and see if that works.

Hope this helped! :)
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

But ive already said that i tried it. I tried to put in channel/UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw , ive tried to just put in this number and letter code  UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw which appears at the end of the url and i also tried to enter my name which is Fred Clooney.

But it always says this channel does not exist.  :wacko:

EDIT : Freegator just told me i need a custom url with a name at the end of the link instead of this number and letter code.

But in order to that, i need 500 subscribers. So, i guess problem solved even though my youtube link will probably never work.  :lol:

Edited by .hack//RARITY
  • Brohoof 1

I just looked back at the youtube links, and they are using /user/. I can't seem to get anything to work with the /user/.

I'm not sure if there is another way to fix this, or if anyone else on the forums has gotten it to work.

But I feel like the youtube link should be changed to /channel/ instead of /user/

EDIT: Saw your edit lol

Well, I'm glad you got it figured out! Hopefully you can get to 500 subscribers!

Edited by Birdy the Phoenix
  • Brohoof 1

By the looks of it, I think it has to do with the difference between a channel name and user name. From what I can tell, the forum's automatic link goes out to the name following /user/, however the link you're trying for is /channel/, so it's looking for something in the wrong way, if that makes sense.

I think this link may be relevent:

http://socialblade.com/blog/2014/youtube-channel-name-vs-username-1489

• Brohoof 1

But ive already said that i tried it. I tried to put in channel/UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw , ive tried to just put in this number and letter code  UCjCmIPdBv7Zhop966pEqnjw which appears at the end of the url and i also tried to enter my name which is Fred Clooney.

But it always says this channel does not exist.  :wacko:

EDIT : Freegator just told me i need a custom url with a name at the end of the link instead of this number and letter code.

But in order to that, i need 500 subscribers. So, i guess problem solved even though my youtube link will probably never work.  :lol:

go to

https://www.youtube.com/user/

and if you are logged in to your youtube account it should put you into your userpage then copy the username that appears there

Edited by ooBrony
  • Brohoof 1

Quote from Youtube :

Your YouTube username is what shows up in the URL when you’re on your channel page (usually. There is currently a bug that sometimes makes it not show up. See more here). When you first started your channel, it was a random string of characters. If you never set a custom URL, it will still be a random string of characters.

So that means i dont have a username at the moment. And to get such an custom url which shows my name, i have to have 500 subscribers first or 100 google plus followers ( because thats now a thing for some reason  :baconmane:  ) , so its not gonna work.

Ive tried your both ideas, but it doesnt work, by me there is always only the channel url with that numbers and letters code. 

• Brohoof 1

For the time being, you have the next best thing. Add your youtube link directly into your about me page. Not being able to help you, fills me with rage.

Edited by Freegator
  • Brohoof 2

Quote from Youtube :

Your YouTube username is what shows up in the URL when you’re on your channel page (usually. There is currently a bug that sometimes makes it not show up. See more here). When you first started your channel, it was a random string of characters. If you never set a custom URL, it will still be a random string of characters.

So that means i dont have a username at the moment. And to get such an custom url which shows my name, i have to have 500 subscribers first or 100 google plus followers ( because thats now a thing for some reason  :baconmane:  ) , so its not gonna work.

Ive tried your both ideas, but it doesnt work, by me there is always only the channel url with that numbers and letters code. 

I tried it, and it worked for me.

I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work for you.

If you go to my profile and click my link, it should work. I did what Freegator and ooBrony said.

• Brohoof 1

I only have 17 subscribers, and I don't have a custom url.

I honestly don't know why it isn't working for you. Let me see if I can find something to help.

*begins research*

Okay, I figured it out.

Turns out I DO have a custom URL, as I got a custom url before the custom url policy was changed.

So what I see is that the link is not going to work for everyone unless you have a custom url. I personally do not like the 500 subscriber thing.

Maybe a change to this link can be proposed?

There can be two boxes. One for the direct link to the channel, and one for you to put in your channel name. That way, even if you don't have a custom url, the link can still work.

For now, though, I see no way that you can get the link to work on your profile.

Edited by Birdy the Phoenix
  • Brohoof 1

You figured out the main issue before I could get to it. 

Also on a side not, if you click on the help files from SCS and then click on a section, the rainbowdash loading screen appears but it doesnt open the section. You have to right click and open a new tab. Dont know if this need another topic though.

This however I am looking at now. 

• Brohoof 1

EDIT :

So, the video wont be needed anymore. I know know why the link didnt work, so, topic can be closed. 

Oh, it seems that I missed this.

OP requested a topic locking, so topic can be closed. If any more issues of this kind appeared, please make another topic. Thank you.

• Brohoof 1

You figured out the main issue before I could get to it.

This however I am looking at now.

I was able to duplicate the second issue you were having (loading with no response) with the Help files. King entered a support ticket and we are working on resolving it.

I'll go ahead and reopen the topic until we have resolved it in tech.

You should be able to access all links and nav features on the Help Page. :)

• Brohoof 1

I was able to duplicate the second issue you were having (loading with no response) with the Help files. King entered a support ticket and we are working on resolving it.

I'll go ahead and reopen the topic until we have resolved it in tech.

You should be able to access all links and nav features on the Help Page. :)

The issue with Help has been resolved. Closing.

• Brohoof 3