Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who should get their own episode?

CastletonSnob

I would like another Trixie episode, showing development after her being bested by Twilight twice.  More from her point of view.

I do not think that Celestia would be good fodder for a stand alone episode.  The point of her within the show, save once or twice, is to be a perfect example of a mother/authority figure.  In the context of this show, she is painted to be almost god-like in design.  She has no real conflict to face, and her day to day life does not make for an interesting show.  She keeps watch over her kingdom and deals with matters of diplomacy, how boring would that be for us to just watch?  Given, we could have some world-threatening conflict appear and Celestia defeat it, but I feel like that goes against the flow of the show.  Celestia sees in those close to her what they can become and the potential that they have.  She tends to use this perception to guide ponies into bettering themselves.  Her wisdom, power, possessions, authority, appearance, and attitude make her a difficult character to relate to.  If the audience cannot see any of themselves in a character, the storyline will not impact them heavily.  There's no development or conflict for her to have, she has been made to be perfect.  So if she got her own episode her character, as it has existed, would have to be changed.  I dislike breaks from established character in storylines because it cheapens the value of the story and makes you feel like you have wasted your time watching up to this point because they are throwing what you've respected out the window.

Also, Luna is not a valid comparison to Celestia.  She has been developed as a character, since the pilot I might add, as a relatable character with struggles and regrets that really hit home with a great number of people.  Everybody has regrets at some point in their lives and she has been shown to handle these regrets in a more "human" way.  Celestia regrets sending her sister to the moon, but this is the only major struggle we've seen and it is not relatable to most children.  Parents might relate to the regrets over harsh punishments, but this show and the universe that has been established therein does not favor emphasizing parental, internal conflicts.

But the comics have done Celestia incredible well in her own stories. Specifically, her micro comic and her spike/Celestia comic have been great. You can focus on her motherly nature and still focus on her well; exploring her nature as a teacher is a great area of her character for example.

I would love to see more Fluttershy episodes that focus more on her rather than how she effects the other major characters. I'm looking forward to the one where we meet her brother, which will hopefully explore her family life and give us more detail on her past.

Edited by Zerbu
  • Brohoof 1

But the comics have done Celestia incredible well in her own stories. Specifically, her micro comic and her spike/Celestia comic have been great. You can focus on her motherly nature and still focus on her well; exploring her nature as a teacher is a great area of her character for example.

They are fine in small doses, I just cannot see a full length Celestia oriented episode doing anything other than taking away what people like about Celestia.  It is possible to do, I just don't know that it can be done very effectively through the television show without breaking form.  I like the Celestia we see in the show and enjoy her little spurts of a fun side that come out from time to time.  Also, I don't put much thought into the comics because they have been shown repeatedly to be non canonical (and I'm a real snob about things being canon), but I do recognize their ability to demonstrate how characters can be developed and portrayed.  I feel that Celestia development works well in head canons, fan fiction, comics, and more versatile avenues.  However, the show is limited by the very thing that makes it wonderful, it is designed and styled a certain way.  I just think Celestia could not be done any justice, within the confines of the show, as a stand alone character.  But I am totes cool with whatever my brony and pegasister brethren feel about this stuff.  Differing opinions are fun when respect is present.

• Brohoof 1

What characters do you think should have their own episode?

I say Zecora. We still don't know much about her. I'd like an episode talking about where she came from, more about the kind of magic she can do, etc.

Yes! I feel like the show completely forgot about her

Zecora and Celestia seem like the two most popular choices for a background episode. Zecora seems to need a very revealing episode about her culture, history, etc. Celestia would require an episode that highlights her greatest struggles and how she eventually overcomes them, perhaps even a visual story of friendship lessons she herself learned in the old days. 

Definitely Celestia as she has been in the show since the very beginning and I wan't to see more out of her as a character.

I already like her but the closest she has had to major insight to her character was in Princess Twilight Sparkle and I want to see more of that. 

Besides her I would go with Big Macintosh as I believe that he too deserves a bit more focus than he has currently been given so far.

Really, Princess Celestia and Zecora are the only options. Zecora is a really interesting and also under-used character; but, still, Celestia is the very definition of "under-used character". She is the only character that truly, desperately needs to be focused on the show, she's received less attention from writers even than background characters. Honestly, it's kinda ridiculous she's just had a few scenes as supporting character.

So, of course Celestia doesn't really have room for character development, which is irrelevant: even though herself as of now is perfect, it's known that she has gone through many struggles; a flashback would make for a traditional episode that could also be informative about Equestrian History(and I see no problem with it being a flashback), just like that scene in Princess Twilight was. Plus, there's millenia to choose from; they could make up anything to go with that episode. The(apparent)lack of conflict of her character of now is irrelevant.

Still, she is the ruler of Equestria(I forgot; were there any others?); it's obvious that her job involves conflict. It might be conflict like the type seen in Princess Spike, or the normal facing a big monster every now and again. She can clearly make for a traditional episode even in the way she is now. Also, maybe it could be somewhat like For Whom the Sweetie Bell Toils? In which Luna guides Sweetie Belle? The episode could be about Celestia guiding a pupil, or giving advice to Twilight. But, of course, focusing on the Celestia instead.

Really, the most powerful and beloved being the land should get an episode of her own; that's priority over Zecora's episode.

Edited by IDoNotSpeakEnglish
  • Brohoof 1

Discord. I am very sure it would be very interesting to follow what he does daily in his part of the universe considering that it is the opposite of everything normal. 

Discord. I am very sure it would be very interesting to follow what he does daily in his part of the universe considering that it is the opposite of everything normal. 

Didn't they already do something like that in Make New Friends But Keep Discord?

• Brohoof 1

Didn't they already do something like that in Make New Friends But Keep Discord?

I guess, but I want an entire episode revolved around his universe alone. I also want Screw Ball in the episode

Eh, I'm not sure an entire episode focused solely on 1 character is necessarily good. It makes more sense to have the star character (like Discord) face a challenge and overcome it with the help of others. That is the morale of the show after all, and it was very well portrayed in "Make New Friends But Keep Discord". Honestly neither Celestia nor Zecora have had an episode like this before. 

Berry Punch, Cheerilee or Derpy

I'd elaborate longer as to why I would like these characters to have their own episodes but I leave it at this.

This isn't too specific, but I'd like an episode that features two random secondary characters.  Two that haven't met before, preferably.  Since the show creates such good character designs for the cast, it would be fun and interesting to see the personalities play off of each other in ways that we don't see often.

An example of an episode could be one where (and I don't know how or why it would happen) Cheese Sandwich and Zecora have to work together to find the Mane 6 or something.  Zecora's reaction to Cheese would be Priceless, and Cheese would think Zecora was really weird.  But, in the end, they become extremely good friends and the message could be that true friendship can cross any boundary, even opposing personalities.  

Back when I was new to the Brony community and there were only 2 seasons, I thought Celestia should get her own episode.

The fact that Luna got her own episode even though she only appeared once, but Celestia not getting an episode and is mentioned at the end of every episode felt unfair at the time. I still want to see what she really does in her free time, instead of having Tumblr answer that question... I think people would like Celestia more if she got her own episode in the same way Luna did in S2 E04

• Brohoof 1