Fifth Element

Gaming Any MTG playing Bronies out there?

Me was not upset, at worst, I was trolling.

Why do you need 3 playsets for one oldschool deck? :P

I do loan a lot of my cards to others as well, albeit I do miss a few meanwhile...

And I was thinking you put these power 9s into your deck.

If anypony is interested in, we can play in Magic Arena or on Xmage.

Badges

I used to play standard all the time in high school, but I switched to modern after a while. Then all my friends quit playing and I didn't feel like going to fnm alone, so I kind of fell out of it a bit. I still play games against myself on occasion.

Mana ramp green decks are my favorite, and the Theros and M15 sets were such a good time with that when I played standard. I made a red goblin/dragon deck when I first switched to modern (it was a mess, but so much fun on the rare occasion it worked), then to a really weird black/white life gain deck I found online. That one's not any fun to play, but I used to crank out wins with it at fnm.

Badges

3 hours ago, Bas said:

Me was not upset, at worst, I was trolling.

That's mean :(

3 hours ago, Bas said:

Why do you need 3 playsets for one oldschool deck? :P

*sighs* I don't :-P Was it lost in translation?

"bought 3 Beta Craw Wurms to give myself a play set (4x)" 

I see how the 

"I'd hardly call a playset, well, three, hoarding" could be interpreted differently. Maybe I should have worded it  "oh, wait, I don't actually have a playset of Beta Wurms because as it turns out I only have 3/4 of a playset ...ie the three cards I've just bought" :/

...however, if you were to play Wizards Alpha 40, then as it's "play what you have" you can break the usual 4x of a card. But it's literally only Alpha cards. It seems the Swedes thought "how can we make Old School even more elitist" :dash:

I haven't gotten involved with a recent development in the Old School community ...Old School Highlander (aka EDH) - I'd have to check banned lists to see if that allows the P9

I'd need to look at Xmage again, I think it's a while since you originally got me to look at it @Bas :)

Sounds familiar @Zephyr / Karou we did have a bit of Standard at my games club and then we lost interest - I think it was around the time of the faster rotation scheme. Now it's mainly Modern, Pauper, EDH and the occasional draft/sealed.

Edited by Dawnchaser

8 hours ago, Dawnchaser said:

...however, if you were to play Wizards Alpha 40, then as it's "play what you have" you can break the usual 4x of a card. But it's literally only Alpha cards. It seems the Swedes thought "how can we make Old School even more elitist" :dash:

Because there was a time where 4 Black Lotus in a deck weren't enough.

Old School Highlander (aka EDH) - I'd have to check banned lists to see if that allows the P9

Original EDH was only the five Elder Dragons. It was prob like Oh, I play Bolas, you play this dude with trample and rampage. I win, ok?

I'd need to look at Xmage again, I think it's a while since you originally got me to look at it

Haven't been online there since arena TBH. Still should know how it works and some tips and hints. can guide you a bit through it. Hit me up on discord then.

9 hours ago, Zephyr / Karou said:

Then all my friends quit playing and I didn't feel like going to fnm alone,

TBH my FNM community and store is pretty awesome, and a lot of my nowadays friends come from it. Can't speak about yours, though.

I also just got 2 books gifted in German. About 1996/97 MTG tournament decks.

They should not be totally useless because there was way less coverage back then than today.

For X-Mas, I got a Dack Fayden comic I didn't read yet, lol!

Badges

The Old School community have started EDH but only using Alpha to The Dark.

I'd have to check when EDH actually started as a "thing".

Nice to have those books^ 

Is that the DF comic with the card?

I recently received my Nightmare comic

(Mmm, alternate artwork and poneez)

649043.jpg

On 3/31/2019 at 6:27 PM, Dawnchaser said:

I'd have to check when EDH actually started as a "thing". 

I would guess legends because of the elder dragons.

IDW comic

Badges

Have had a look.

Something very much like it was in a '96 article in the Duelist

http://www.dragonhighlander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3734

Spoiler

Nicol Bolas, Chromium, Arcades Sabboth - legendary creatures of immense power and stature. The look just great in your binder and are probably rarely, if ever, used. Well, take them out, dust them off, and gather up three or four of yur friends. It's time to let the Elder Drzgons battle it out.

Tournament Magic, while exciting, is so cutthroat that the visual aspect of seeing beautiful cards in play is diminished. In "Elder Dragon Legend Wars," armies have time to assemble, and powerful creatures abound. The basic rules for this variant are designed to create a balanced enviornment while allowing individual creativity and strategy.

-three or more players are recommended.
-players choose (or select at random) and Elder Dragon Legend as their amry's leader. The dragon must be supported by creatures and spells corresponding to each of the Dragon's three specific casting colours.
-players include 8 basic lands for each of those colours in their decks
-decks must have 20-24creatures and may have no more than one of the same creature. All creatures should be 3/3 or better unless the have a special ability (i.e. regeneration, mountainwalk, etc.)
-to help ensure balance, the total power and toughness of each player's creatures should not exceed a number pre-determined by the players
-Players designate and announce three of their creatures as "Warlords" and two creatures as "Captains". If an opponent destroys a Captain, the Captain's controller takes 2 damage, and the destroyer gains 2 life. If a warlord is destroyed, teh controller takes 3 damage and teh destroyer gains 3 life. And for an Elder Dragon, the controller takes 4 damages, the destroyer gains 4 life.
-No more than one of each spell may be included in a deck.
-Decide beforehand which cards are banned. Some cards that tend to be unbalancing because they have such global effects include Balance, Wrath of God, Anarchy, and Gloom.
-Players begin play with one of each land type already in play.
-Players start with 25 life.
-Players have a 60-card-minimum deck, in addition to the lands already in play.

We've played free-for-all, attack-left, and "temporary teams", where as soon as one team lost, the temporary alliance would dissolve and teh remaining 2 players would battle it out. But since the intent of "Elder Dragon Legend Wars" is to increase playing pleasure, feel free to introduce your own rules and requirements

OMG, hadn't realised that Masacre Girl's ability "cascades"

en_YmBkpsTYbo.png

ETB, ability triggers, kills a 1/1, ability triggers again, kills a 2/2 and so on

Smeg, opponent has a few 0/1 Saprolings out, say 8 of them  ...*BOOM* there goes an 8/8 :o

Anyone been to a pre-release this weekend or going to a release event this weekend?

I was! I don't think I got anything too special though - Especially compared to the Bolas I opened today.

Badges

At the hour before the first WAR-Pre-Release we played Who-Am-I with MTG cards.

I was a roughly 4th edition Kird Ape. Try to guess that!

Badges

Well, my boyfriend keeps bringing up Arena, and I'll start playing a little of it at some point in the future. After I get to install it :)

It's unfortunate, though, that I don't have internet on my computer at home though... :( I'll prioritize Paladins over Magic so I won't play often... :/

Hi @DuskliciousHope you enjoy it if/when you get to play.

Have you played any MTG before? Any particular things/decks you like?

@Basplays a lot of Arena, I occasionally play but prefer irl with real cardboard. 

We had a sealed event at my club last Friday with 12players. Unfortunately we ran out of time for a third round, two of us were tied for 1st after 2 rounds, the other guy had been doing well with a pair of Jaces. My Liliana, Bontu and Devrial had been doing a lot of work in my Grixis deck.

I traded the Liliana, Bontu and the Nissa I pulled at the end of the night. 

Just now, Dawnchaser said:

Hi @DuskliciousHope you enjoy it if/when you get to play.

Have you played any MTG before? Any particular things/decks you like?

I used to play a decent amount of Magic, with real, cardboard. I first started playing when the first Ravnica set came out, though I only really played it off and on.

I mostly like running White/Black decks focused around life manipulation, though I have ran all sorts of decks. :P

War of the Spark summary: Ral Zarek is homosexual and has a secret lover.

Oh, and for that matter

Spoiler

only roughly 5 named planeswalkers seem to die instead of roughly 31.

Edited by Bas

Badges

11 hours ago, Dawnchaser said:

My Liliana, Bontu and Devrial had been doing a lot of work in my Grixis deck.

Most broken sealed pool War of the Spark ever.

Badges

On 4/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, Dawnchaser said:

OMG, hadn't realised that Masacre Girl's ability "cascades"

en_YmBkpsTYbo.png

ETB, ability triggers, kills a 1/1, ability triggers again, kills a 2/2 and so on

Smeg, opponent has a few 0/1 Saprolings out, say 8 of them  ...*BOOM* there goes an 8/8 :o

kills your own stuff too, you don't have to wait for opponent to have it, you can just built it up. still.. for 5 mana, you can get sweepers in black

Badges

Not in standard though, and she leaves a body behind. She is actually legendary. :sealed:

She is an important character in War and that's prob her nickname, I think she is named Ha....something.

Badges

I play MTG, only in commader (EDH) format only

my two commanders are

cma-180-kaalia-of-the-vast.thumb.jpg.cb2648bf289427e04fb95a3fb64bcfbe.jpgima-11-avacyn-angel-of-hope.thumb.jpg.55d1260b91de0b3ce36fa2a99b7c6a39.jpg

Badges

I have just built my Zurgo Helmsmasher as Commander

Image.ashx?multiverseid=386731&type=card

It is stupid, unfinished but pretty fun to play. I really like *tap sideways* creatures :)

Badges

image.thumb.png.062855412bea9af748fef450f955953b.png

Yes. That is draft.

Most unfair draft opponent ever, hope he goes to 7-1 LOL

Badges

Grixis Walkers in draft? Nice but ouch for everyone else

You mean like me vs him?

Badges

Well, I've been starting to play Arena, and I have to say that the AI's passive aggressive s*** is getting on my nerves pretty quickly. :dry: 

Also I'm going to add this: the grind seems a bit harsh, at least to start off.

Edited by DusksuD

I am trying to get a MTG community I am part of rolling (again, for that matter).

It is about a free MTG game (which is great! 12k cards! :ooh:) that is developed there for PSP, PS Vita, PC, Android! :catface:

I am trying to revive the forums a bit and increase the activity by doing mlpf-esque events!

So even if you are not interested in the game itself, maybe I can attract you for that?

Expect deck-building contests, card discussions, small MTGA community tournaments and more! And: Hopefully each time a new set comes out.

http://wololo.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=13

Also, I will probably soon be promoted to admin and I am looking for Event Coordinators to help me with that task. If you are interested in, let me know!

Badges