Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Nike Secrets

(edited)

FML. What shoe am I able to buy? I wont get converse for sure!

I wish Nike didn't own Air Jordans! Those were my favs!

Honestly, I really don't think it matters. Almost every company you will buy products from, especially if it's cheap, uses sweat shop labor. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it because we all contribute to it pretty much equally. It's really up to the companies themselves to make changes. And as the countries they use these people from develop conditions will get better over time and eventually the problem will be solved. But every company, even in developed countries exploit their employees.

Unless you want to pay $200 for a single item of clothing the rest of your life I'd suggest just keep buying the products you love.

Edited by roomforapony

Honestly, I really don't think it matters. Almost every company you will buy products from, especially if it's cheap, uses sweat shop labor. I wouldn't beat yourself up over it because we all contribute to it pretty much equally. It's really up to the companies themselves to make changes. And as the countries they use these people from develop conditions will get better over time and eventually the problem will be solved. But every company, even in developed countries exploit their employees.

Unless you want to pay $200 for a single item of clothing the rest of your life I'd suggest just keep buying the products you love.

I know it's just a shoe in the long run. But I play basketball, B-ball shoes are essential. I want me a good shoe that's comfy, durable and has my style, while getting good performance. Too bad the only shoe company that offers this uses a damn sweatshop!

Posted Image

I know it's just a shoe in the long run. But I play basketball, B-ball shoes are essential. I want me a good shoe that's comfy, durable and has my style, while getting good performance. Too bad the only shoe company that offers this uses a damn sweatshop!

Posted Image

Again, almost everything you buy from any company is the fruit of sweat shops. And then even if you are successful in dramatically hurting a company's sales then you just left thousands of people out of a job and they are now unable to feed their families. Buy what you want and like. It really doesn't make a difference.

Again, almost everything you buy from any company is the fruit of sweat shops. And then even if you are successful in dramatically hurting a company's sales then you just left thousands of people out of a job and they are now unable to feed their families. Buy what you want and like. It really doesn't make a difference.

Ever herd of ghandi good friend? (Not comparing myself to him)

(edited)

Ever herd of ghandi good friend? (Not comparing myself to him)

That seems unrelated. Gandhi made his own stuff. Are you going to make your own shoes?

You literally can't do anything without coming into contact with something that has passed through, in at least some part, a sweat shop. Boycotting it isn't really that noble, just buy what you like to buy. The people work there because they want to work there. Their conditions are slowly becoming better, but if we all boycotted things then prices would skyrocket because it would become a lot more expensive to buy. Sweatshops have been around for too long, removing them all in an instant would wreck havoc on our economy.

Edited by Bohtty
  • Brohoof 1

That seems unrelated. Gandhi made his own stuff. Are you going to make your own shoes?

You literally can't do anything without coming into contact with something that has passed through, in at least some part, a sweat shop. Boycotting it isn't really that noble, just buy what you like to buy. The people work there because they want to work there. Their conditions are slowly becoming better, but if we all boycotted things then prices would skyrocket because it would become a lot more expensive to buy. Sweatshops have been around for too long, removing them all in an instant would wreck havoc on our economy.

I'm actually 100% sure none of them WANT to slave at a sweatshop. I hope you're joking.

Ghandi is just relevant... He had somewhat of the same motive.

He's just relevant. Seeing how him leading many others to take action. Ya know?

I know what you mean, and I understand it's frustrating but this particular subject can't be solved with just a few lucky, richer people being able to afford clothing that is literally $80-$400 for a single item for their entire wardrobe in order to combat all sweatshop companies. Most people can't afford to. They also can't afford the many other products and household items that would be x10 or more what they regularly pay for if they bought them from sweatshop free companies. Do some research on how much this stuff costs. Minimum wage is $7.25. You cannot afford all of these sweatshop free products on minimum wage. Some people can't even afford the cheap things on their wages. You also have to account for other needs when on your own such as housing, utilities, doctor visits, if you have children, pets, etc. etc. the list is endless. It is up to these companies and as these countries get better and more developed the conditions will get better. But you have to remember that even in first world countries companies exploit their employees all the time. There is nothing anybody can do about it. You have to have money to do something about it.

You can boycott Nike, but it's not going to make a difference if you buy products from other companies that do the same exact thing that they do.

• Brohoof 1

I'm actually 100% sure none of them WANT to slave at a sweatshop. I hope you're joking.

Ghandi is just relevant... He had somewhat of the same motive.

Right, because it's that or nothing, which do you think they would choose?

Man...

Judging someone from what kind of slavery their shoes' manufacturer employs is like saying that I'm evil because I didn't do anything when my uncle killed a kitten.

Ever herd of ghandi good friend?

If you don't want to get involved in any kind of slavery and wrongdoings from your clothes' manufacturer why don't you just live in the middle of a rainforest and wears dead animal for clothing.

Almost every single multinational companies got at least one plant in a third world country. While their workers' salary is godawfully cheapskate to you, that amount of money meant a lot to them.

You might say that 10 US dollar won't do shit in US or Europe, but I can easily feed myself and my mom for three days with that cash.

Don't judge other countries' standards if you just close your eyes and playing as a mighty saint or something.

• 5 weeks later...
(edited)

I would urge you to reconsider what you're saying. I'm sure there are plenty of places around where you live (like a market of some sort) that sells free trade clothing items for cheap and fair prices. One of my teachers informed our class of relatively local spots where we can go and purchase such merchandise. As opposed to throwing money at a faceless company that doesn't respect human dignity, personally handing your money to the person who made the shoes/clothes you'll be wearing... It's a lot different. I don't have anything against Nike, just the business practices they have. I understand pretty much everything in the average American home was made with cheap labor in a sweat shop. I understand the workers in those sweat shops need such jobs in order to survive. Is it really that much to ask for basic living wages, though? The workers are only paid enough to survive -- not live. If they took three sick days, they probably wouldn't recover financially. Nike has a great program that allows you to recycle old shoes -- I wholeheartedly enforce that 100%. They should just reconsider how they conduct themselves as a whole. A few million dollars is by no means a large thing to ask of such a massive corporation. Especially if we consider the impact it could have on other corporations -- it'd definitely benefit the world. I'm not speaking out of my ass, I assure you. Nike is an extremely noticeable company, and Jim Keady's work has also made a minor difference. I no longer buy shoes from well-known stores or companies. Instead, I head to a little part of our city where a few vendors have set up shop. Believe me, if all the people who saw Kony 2012 saw Behind the Swoosh, there'd be a change in Nike's workings. I set up this thread to inform the uninformed -- don't tell people to continue buying from brand-name companies. I know you're not endorsing them, but if you took the time to investigate more into the subject, you might discover that not everything free of sweat shop labor is erroneously expensive.

I'll admit, I'm guilty of owning a pair of Nikes myself. They're hand-me-downs, and I put duct tape over the symbol. Why should someone advertise a company that holds such inhumane practices? Disregarding the fact that abuses its workers, burns leftover products that could be used for other things (not to mention the harmful smoke it produces), and lies to its consumers, the main reason for combating Nike is to get better wages for its workers. Those people need to know they can have a day off without worrying that they'll lose their job because a family member is sick. Phil Knight is worth more than 13 billion dollars. If he had a shred of decency, the least he could have done before stepping down from his position at Nike was benefiting wages for the workers. Seriously, what is one man going to do with such a massive amount of money? Even if it wasn't his call, he could have had some input.

It doesn't make you an evil person or a sinner or anything else simply because you own a pair of Nikes. But why broadcast its symbol? The workers only work there because they have nowhere else to go. Nike is more than capable of paying them living wages. Not wages where only the most fundamental, basic needs of survival are met. Honestly, if you refuse to look further into this subject but cover the symbol you brandish, that'd be enough for me. There's no need to show others that you bought Nike. Why advertise for them? They aren't paying you anything.

Don't just throw away shoes, either. continue wearing them until they're worn out -- then recycle them. There are massive dumps outside Nike factories, piled high with unused materials. Those materials could make beds for people, or be used to create some other form of item beneficial to others. Instead, Nike cuts them to bits and burns them, emitting harmful gases into the atmosphere which gets stuck in the water cycle and yadda yadda yadda -- it makes everything turn to shit. You guys should get what I'm trying to say by now. Any way you can help is fine. I understand if you don't want to try making a difference. I understand most of you are content with carrying out your daily routines until you hit the dirt. Just know that I lose respect for those of you who do so. I'm sure every sweat shop laborer does too. They might never know what living a decent life may be like -- they may not understand that there is more to it than barely scraping along to live, but the people who are informed and capable do know. There's so much more to be said, but I'll leave it at that for now. At least try to accomplish something beneficial to others, guys. It'd be greatly appreciated.

Edited by Guest

-snip-

I see what you're saying, but as I said before it's not up to us to stop this problem nor would it matter at all if a few people could afford to buy sweatshop free products. I don't agree with these practices and I think it's great that you feel this way. I also think it's cruel what they put these people through but only the rich can afford to live with all sweatshop free products. I also mentioned that I also buy a lot of my clothes from thrift stores (I also wear my things until they are no longer useable) and I urge others to buy from them too. Yet it's not enough.

If you want to boycott a company, go ahead. That's fine, but that isn't going to solve any problems for sweatshop workers. If you were successful in bringing this company down a notch you do affect the people who work for them. They HAVE to work there to feed their families. Even people in America work crappy jobs to feed their families and if they get laid off it hurts them due to not enough profit. I have also experienced some trouble with my current job. They constantly have to cut my hours because we don't make enough profits. I understand it's different than sweatshop labor, but that's what happens no matter who you are. I think you would understand a lot better where I'm coming from if you had to pay your own bills, college tuition, hygiene products, clothes, food, and then have enough money for entertainment to keep your sanity in between worrying about bills, your family, friends, and working.

I know you're specifically talking about Nike, but everything you buy, even food, is made by sweat shop labor. This is why it does not matter if people buy from Nike or not because there will always be sweatshop labor. It's a double edged sword. If you buy from these companies you keep up the labor, if you don't you reduce their profits and force these people to starve. It is practically impossible for any person to live on sweatshop free products.

I hope you don't think I'm for sweatshop labor. I do what I can to not buy certain products but when things are cheap I'm going to buy it. I pay for a lot of my own things and don't make enough money to afford sweatshop free products. I admit I still have my food and housing bills paid for but even then I buy most of my own things and entertainment and I am trying to save as much as I can while balancing school and work. I have it much easier than most people but not even I can afford what you seem to expect.

• Brohoof 1