Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The problem with anything that is popular is that people cannot describe why they like it in a way others can relate to and since so many people like it they just use mob mentality to silence the neighsayers in conclusion we learned nothing

I'm not really a fan of "fandom characters" (you can imagine how I reacted to "Slice Of Life"), but you shouldn't let something's popularity be the judge of whether or not you like it. There's nothing wrong with liking things that are mainstream, just like how there's nothing wrong with liking less-popular things. It's just important that you're sincere about the things you like, and aren't just following along (or rather, NOT following along), for the sake of going with/against the tide. :)

But yeah, Derpy is really...well, she started out as an animation error, which was where it all started. If you weren't there when it happened, I can understand why its hard to see the appeal.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree. I just never could really get into Derpy...

She is cute though, and seems awfully lovable. I became a fan of the show around the beginning of season 3, so I had no idea who Derpy was. I had to go back and rewatch "the Last Round Up" to actually remember her. Derpy is not a bad pony..she just isn't one of my favorite ponies.

I'm not really a fan of "fandom characters" (you can imagine how I reacted to "Slice Of Life"), but you shouldn't let something's popularity be the judge of whether or not you like it. There's nothing wrong with liking things that are mainstream, just like how there's nothing wrong with liking less-popular things. It's just important that you're sincere about the things you like, and aren't just following along (or rather, NOT following along), for the sake of going with/against the tide. :)

But yeah, Derpy is really...well, she started out as an animation error, which was where it all started. If you weren't there when it happened, I can understand why its hard to see the appeal.

I was there I didn't care. Since I have animated before animation errors is nothing mind blowing or anything.

Overrated, maybe...honestly I don't care about how people perceive the background characters because of the enormous diversity among the massive amounts of fan created content about the background characters. I get the general gist about the fan consensus in regards to the characters, and enjoy the diversity the fans have created, but I don't take it to heart. If something the fandom creates is not in the show in the future, i won't cry over it or rage about it. In that aspect, people take things too far, but that's really a different topic. 

I look at the show and B canon Comics. I really liked "Slice of Life" because it does show the relationship the show staff have with the fans. VERY few fandoms can say they influenced the very medium they are a fan of, and for that, I like her.

But yes, she seems overrated.