Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

Did you ever watch, by any ponies, or do anything that has to do with generation 1-3 and Newborn Cuties?  :squee: If so, I'd love to see your response! I personally have not and I really don't like g1-3, :blush:  but I'm curious to see what people think!  :fluttershy:

• Brohoof 3

I've seen things, man. It was horrible. They were so ugly. And the names. Not the names. And Unicornia. How? How could such a place exist?

I'll admit, it's not that horrible, but plenty of it is cringe-worthy.

• Brohoof 1

I've mostly seen a few episodes of Generation 1 and their specials. Despite the rather clunky animation, it's actually a pretty decent generation. Some of the stories were actually dark and the villains were pretty interesting as well. I mean, sometimes it can be a little bit juvenile, but it's still tolerable to watch. At least it is aimed towards a general audience.

I've tried to watch the rest of the generations once... probably one of the worst decisions I've ever made. xD

• Brohoof 2

I decided to watch one of the specials from Generation 1 (the one with those witches), but stoped half way through, as there was simply nothing to keep me interested. However, it was suprisingly decent. It's no Friendship is Magic, but it looks like something that I could have invested time in when I was younger (and possibly even did, though I can't remember).

• Brohoof 1

No, and I don't intend to do so any time soon. They just never really interested me

Edited by Green Biker Dude
  • Brohoof 2

I watched the gen 1 movie with the smooze, which was described to me as the best episode of the best generation (not including gen 4 FiM) and I hated it, it was almost like a chore to sit through except for a few moments, but they weren't worth it in the long run, gen for is the only one I like. Maybe one day I'll give the other generations a chance

• Brohoof 1

I'm sorry, but I have written a very lengthy opinion on the subject; which is why it's in spoilers.

Summary: G1 is fine for kids. MLP Tales is way too mean spirited. G3 is cute but kinda mindless. G3.5 is not that bad, except for two episodes; but not good either.

Yes. I have watched various episodes of generation 1(since the stories took many episodes, I had to), and I found it quite okay. The ponies had little to no personality and were led by a human but the stories were adventures that never tried to focus on one gender(didn't assume that girls don't like adventure) and actually had villains and action(which most people prefer). But, I don't really like it; it's just not my style. The stories were kinda bland too. I didn't watch all of it, but I would say that the 1986 movie is the worst; if you are going to watch it, I recommend the very first episode: "Rescue at Midnight Castle"(also known as "Firefly's Adventure" and slight variations of "Escape from Midnight Castle"). It's actually good, it's where Tirek came from and has some historical value for being the very first; also, I think it's a good representation of G1 in it's entirety.

I also watched a little of My Little Pony Tales(which is G1) and I find it bad, because it's just not My Little Pony in any way: everyone there is just mean and selfish(except for Sweetheart; she is best Tales pony, but also a pushover), the ponies live in a human setting and, again, it's just mean spirited. Also, the stories are normal ocurrences, no adventure at all(which I would like, if done better). Another thing: all episodes had to have, at least, one song; and none of them are complex or well thought(or even okay, in my opinion), they are just kinda annoying. Plus, we had one problem in G1:

Shoo-bee-doo! Shoo-shoo-bee-doo!

sig-4046809.d2cff4a10b105fc78b52ce1d899b

Generation 2 didn't have any animation done with it(it only lasted through 1997 and 1998 anyway), except for a PC game called "Friendship Gardens", which I played, because I am obsessed and need help.

I did watch generation 3 in it's entirety, because I quite like it. Now, one thing to know about it is that quality decays over time(it's the second law of show-dynamics): the first ones(from 2003 to 2005 or 06, I say) seem to be well thought, well paced and well animated; but it kinda goes down hill after "Greetings From Unicornia"(starting with the name), and the cheapening of the show ends with G3.5(which happens only in 2009, right before they try quality again with G4). So, G3 starts with "A Charming Birthday", which is a nice introduction to the characters based on the challenge of surprising one wise friend on her birthday. Just like that, the episodes of G3(which are 20 or 40mins long, direct to DVD releases, by the way) have stories(not all of them have conflict) that are kind of unimportant and kind of mindless but consistent(internally) and very light hearted; except for when Minty and a friend of hers almost die horribly, slowly, alone, excruciantingly and painfully in the cold, merciless endless sea of snow of the North Pole in "A Very Minty Christmas". Well, I like G3 because it has little or no problems and I find it very cute and enjoyable. If you are going to watch it, I recommend "A Very Minty Christmas" or "A Charming Birthday".

Now, to G3.5... and... it's not that bad. You see, when people think of G3.5 they think of "Over Two Rainbows" and "So Many Ways to Play", but those are only two pseudo-episodes, it's necessary to remember that there are four others(as far as I know; I couldn't find anything else) that are much better. The best of them is "Twinkle Wish Adventure", which has a sensible(okay, nearly sensible) plot, decent jokes, okay songs(and a horrible one too!) and the characters have more personality than in the overall G3. Also, G3.5 doesn't equal "Newborn Cuties"! Look at the difference in their designs:

This is the normal G3.5 design:

sig-4046809.tumblr_lz1ic0E1xq1rp6udyo1_5

sig-4046809.img-3133048-1-tumblr_m650rsU

And, This! This, ladies and gentlemen; is "Newborn Cuties":

sig-4046809.newborn%20cuties%204.png

And:

sig-4046809.g3_5_sweetie_belle_by_cuber4

And, yes, I agree, "Over Two Rainbows" is painfully horrible(and it can be easily found in a Google search...). It shows how much Hasbro was trying to make profit with the "zero-budget" route. But, again, that doesn't represent G3.5. Besides those two episodes("Over Two Rainbows" and "So Many Ways to Play"), there are three mini episodes of 5mins top that have very simple, weird, silly and even childish "plots" and there's also the 44mins episode "Twinkle Wish Adventure", which I don't recommend, even though it's the best of G3.5. Still, my points is: G3.5 is, mostly, infinitely better than the shameful "Over Two Rainbows". I feel like I repeated myself a lot about G3.5, but I also feel that it was necessary.

Edited by IDoNotSpeakEnglish

I Have watched Generation 1, 2, 3, 3.5 and 4! Seriously! they were out in my childhood and for some reason, I seem to enjoy generation 2. I don't know why but its just the plotline and texture in things that makes me want to watch them.

I watched gen 1 when I was a kid but the only episode I can remember is the one where a pony accidentally wishes all precipitation away and the baby sea ponies almost die when their pond dries up. I remember this deeply affecting my emotions as a child and in retrospect, it was really nice that a cartoon was respecting my intellect by delving into such heavy material. It was a two parter and I never saw the conclusion. Maybe that's why it stuck with me.

I have watch parts and bits of generation 3.5 to make fun of it and I also played the DS game as a kid. So basically all this time I was surrounded by ponies! Gen 3.5 has scarred me for life with it's horrible...... Everything....

I've seen a little bit of it all, the only one that really caught my interest was G1, because it was basically a fantasy adventure show with brightly colored talking ponies. MLP Tales is just odd, I don't really know what to say. G3 isn't the cesspool of awfulness people keep saying it is. It's cutesy and saccharine at best, dull at worst. G3.5 is more or less the same. Newborn Cuties is as bad as people say it is because they were shorts included as promos with the toys and as such required no effort towards entertainment.

If you think G3 is so terrible, then you've clearly never seen truly horrible animation.

I personally have not and I really don't like g1-3

How do you know you don't like it if you've never seen it? If you're going to dislike something, actually see it for yourself rather than just go off of what you hear other people say.

Also, G2 had no cartoon. MLP Tales is not G2.

• Brohoof 2

I've seen them all. Gen 1 was pretty good. I watched one of the movies for it, and I enjoyed it more than I thought I was going to. Tales, from what I've seen, looks quite decent.

Gen 2 didn't have a cartoon, but it did have a game called Friendship Gardens, which I've played with a friend. It was a bland girl's game. 

Gen 3 was quite bad. I didn't enjoy any of the films/shorts that much, although I did like the character Minty.

Gen 3.5 was probably the worst out of all of them. The worst special was Newborn Cuties. Not only were the stories boring, the animation was the worst part. In one episode (of two), the mouths didn't even move!

Edited by Blackened

I've seen all of the original, some of Tales, and all of G3 up to when it turned into core 7 and seemed to lose all substance.

MLP n' Friends (the original) was worth a watch. It was a bit cheesy, but really, everything from the 80s is.

Tales (which ISN'T G2, people. G2 did not have a cartoon) was okay, but I couldn't get myself to keep watching it just because it didn't feel like MLP at all... There's nothing pony about it aside from the fact that the characters' designs are ponies. At least from as much as I watched. It's a little weird watching that cartoon knowing it was on when I was a toddler, too. Lol.

G3 can be a little dull and hard to watch at times, just because it's aimed at such a young audience... But at the same time, it's still quite a bit better than the average show aimed at that age group. It has its moments. I don't feel like I wasted any time watching through it. Minty is a fun, cute character, and the Christmas special really was just as enjoyable as any FiM episode for me. A billion times more enjoyable than the Brony-pandering gibberish that was "Slice of Life", in fact.

Edited by Envy
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

Ive started with G1 and found that it was a really cool Generation.

The first Tv Special alone was very dark..surprisingly dark, first the design of Tirek, than that they attack ponyville and capture ponys to turn them into dragons and then the " Heart of Darkness " which is literally a heart in a bag...i was just like :  :wacko: Okay, sure this is a little girls cartoon?

The second Tv Special is about a villain who is reminded of her old friend, that she once was good and so she comes in a conflict with herself. That also a very interesting storyline and villain.

The Movie had so many different things happening, they found the flutterponys, one of the ponys runs away and gets lost, then they are the witches who try to destroy everything with their schmoch ( i know in the english release its called different, but in my country it was called schmoch ) then they are the..uh grumples they was called? I dont know anymore but i was highly entertained.

The rest of G1 was also great to watch. There are great and interesting fantasy storys and cute.

G 1.5 is my favorite cartoon. It doesnt have that much fantasy as the first series, but its a very cute and interesting teen drama series and very funny at times  :lol:  Its like Drawn Together, with the different characters try to get along with each other, dating each other...well its not like drawn together actually..not at all..but thats the only thing that comes close that i can think off because i never watched that kind of teen drama ever. But Tales has become my favorite series of them all because of this unique setting  :love:

G2 had a game called Friendship Gardens, because the pony design in G2 is very different from G. 1.5 ( which people call G2 ) . Theponys are much bigger, well the have longer legs and actually look a little bit more like horses this time but they look great  :) The game itself is like The Sims. Kind off. It was fun  :pinkie:

Then there is G3. Its cute and one of the Movies ( The runaway Rainbow ) made me even cry  :( .

Also G3 has very nice musical numbers and very nice drawn comics. The G3 comic design is actually my favorite of them all  :bedeyes:

The games are also fun. Not as good as Friendship Gardens though.

Then there is G3.5....i also liked that, that one movie called Twinkle Wish Adventure..i remember that Scootaloo was so badass in this one with her whole character. She annoyed others and had still a counter argument for everything and i find G3.5 Scootaloo to be better than the G4 one actually.

Then there is G4...its the worst of them all, i dont like it that much.Well its not the worst, but...i dont like it that much that i should probably do as a brony...

Yeah, i could say its a joke, but it sadly isnt...i found the style compared to the rest as to simplistic. They barely even look like ponys, they barely even look like anything. The Storys are interesting but it always feels so rushed, the dialog, how they are talking, in one moment a character is bad then all of a sudden she is good and all is forgiven.

Then they are all the normal episodes in between which doesnt make much difference from the older gens, like having Pijama Partys, dress each other up and im just sitting here and ask myself :

And where is the mind blowing difference between this gen and the others, that make adult men watch these?

I just dont get it. :confused:

Then the characters overreactions sometimes are just annoying, characters do sometimes things that doesnt even fit their personalities. 

I also didnt liked the fanservice episodes, specially the slice of life episodes...its just like : Hey, our fans have created some fanstorys and characters for us...how about we making an episode about they storys completely unchanged. Were are creative!

If i would make list which Gens is my favorite, here :

1. My Little Pony Tales ( G 1.5 )

2. My Little Pony and Friends ( G 1 )

3. My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic ( G 4 )

4. My Little Pony ( G 3.5 ) ( lets just ignore the 2 episodes we never speak off )

5. My Little Pony ( G 3 )

6. My Little Pony - Friendship Gardens ( G 2 ) ( its only all the way down here, because it simply only has one game and thats it...so...i cant really set it higher  :lol:  Its still my favorite pony game though )

Edited by .hack//SUNSET
  • Brohoof 2

Ive started with G1 and found that it was a really cool Generation.

The first Tv Special alone was very dark..surprisingly dark, first the design of Tirek, than that they attack ponyville and capture ponys to turn them into dragons and then the " Heart of Darkness " which is literally a heart in a bag...i was just like :  :wacko: Okay, sure this is a little girls cartoon?

The second Tv Special is about a villain who is reminded of her old friend, that she once was good and so she comes in a conflict with herself. That also a very interesting storyline and villain.

The Movie had so many different things happening, they found the flutterponys, one of the ponys runs away and gets lost, then they are the witches who try to destroy everything with their schmoch ( i know in the english release its called different, but in my country it was called schmoch ) then they are the..uh grumples they was called? I dont know anymore but i was highly entertained.

The rest of G1 was also great to watch. There are great and interesting fantasy storys and cute.

G 1.5 is my favorite cartoon. It doesnt have that much fantasy as the first series, but its a very cute and interesting teen drama series and very funny at times  :lol:  Its like Drawn Together, with the different characters try to get along with each other, dating each other...well its not like drawn together actually..not at all..but thats the only thing that comes close that i can think off because i never watched that kind of teen drama ever. But Tales has become my favorite series of them all because of this unique setting  :love:

G2 had a game called Friendship Gardens, because the pony design in G2 is very different from G. 1.5 ( which people call G2 ) . Theponys are much bigger, well the have longer legs and actually look a little bit more like horses this time but they look great  :) The game itself is like The Sims. Kind off. It was fun  :pinkie:

Then there is G3. Its cute and one of the Movies ( The runaway Rainbow ) made me even cry  :( .

Also G3 has very nice musical numbers and very nice drawn comics. The G3 comic design is actually my favorite of them all  :bedeyes:

The games are also fun. Not as good as Friendship Gardens though.

Then there is G3.5....i also liked that, that one movie called Twinkle Wish Adventure..i remember that Scootaloo was so badass in this one with her whole character. She annoyed others and had still a counter argument for everything and i find G3.5 Scootaloo to be better than the G4 one actually.

Then there is G4...its the worst of them all, i dont like it that much.Well its not the worst, but...i dont like it that much that i should probably do as a brony...

Yeah, i could say its a joke, but it sadly isnt...i found the style compared to the rest as to simplistic. They barely even look like ponys, they barely even look like anything. The Storys are interesting but it always feels so rushed, the dialog, how they are talking, in one moment a character is bad then all of a sudden she is good and all is forgiven.

Then they are all the normal episodes in between which doesnt make much difference from the older gens, like having Pijama Partys, dress each other up and im just sitting here and ask myself :

And where is the mind blowing difference between this gen and the others, that make adult men watch these?

I just dont get it. :confused:

Then the characters overreactions sometimes are just annoying, characters do sometimes things that doesnt even fit their personalities. 

I also didnt liked the fanservice episodes, specially the slice of life episodes...its just like : Hey, our fans have created some fanstorys and characters for us...how about we making an episode about they storys completely unchanged. Were are creative!

If i would make list which Gens is my favorite, here :

1. My Little Pony Tales ( G 1.5 )

2. My Little Pony and Friends ( G 1 )

3. My Little Pony - Friendship is Magic ( G 4 )

4. My Little Pony ( G 3.5 ) ( lets just ignore the 2 episodes we never speak off )

5. My Little Pony ( G 3 )

6. My Little Pony - Friendship Gardens ( G 2 ) ( its only all the way down here, because it simply only has one game and thats it...so...i cant really set it higher  :lol:  Its still my favorite pony game though )

you must have a lot of time on you hooves! Thats one big comment!  :squee:

• Brohoof 1

I'm interested in seeing G1 sometime. I've heard it's dark (or at least the first movie, the one with Tirek) for a kid's show. That alone interests me. I know that the animation is crap, but it was made in the 1980's. If I can deal with the first design of The Simpsons, I can deal with G1 MLP.

As for G2, I'm not really interested in seeing it. I don't know much about it, admittedly, but it just doesn't look very interesting. The poor animation doesn't help.

G3? I've seen some of it. It wasn't terrible, honestly. It has alright animation, but I don't like the writing. There's not enough conflict for me. It's too boring for me. If I'd seen it before I saw G4, I probably wouldn't have bothered with Friendship is Magic.

As for G3.5? I've seen a bit. That's something that would give even David Cronenberg, the master of body horror, nightmares. That animation... That voice acting... That writing... The memories... I'm going to have nightmares tonight.