Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

I think i saw one ep of one of the older genos on ondemand once when we had it. Before fim came on.

I also saw specials when they showed them on discovery family/the hub AFTER fim came :)

I personally found them cute and pleasant

Isn't gen 3.5 just a remake of 3?

Sorta. It gets kinda confusing in there as the toys and the animations don't quite line up during the G3.x run. G3 went through a shake-up where Hasbro sliced the toy line down to 7 characters (called 'Core 7') and the animations sorta followed suit but it's not immediately obvious they did. G3.5 had a change in style to bobblehead-type, and the animations for some reason swapped all the pegasi out with butterfly-winged flutterponies (but the toys didn't). *Then* there was the Newborn Cuties right before G4/FiM started up. A lot of people bundle the Newborn Cuties in with G3.5, and G3.5 gains a lot of hate from that as they were pretty darn bad.

• Brohoof 1

I've seen some episodes of Generation 1. I was more interested in how some of their rogues gallery can be integrated into the FiM than what was actually going on though. Several in particular that I'm interested in is Grogar, Catrina, Arabus and Zeb would all be interesting additions to the show.

Gen 2 wasn't terrible. It wasn't great either. 

G3 is when it got REALLY bad though. There is a reason Bronies React did a Halloween special for them.

I tried an episode of Tales once just to see how their oft-recurring male characters were handled and wow, what a bunch of colossal jerks. My hypothesis was confirmed that, even though we hardly see them in the show, FiM handles colts/stallions WAY better than Tales did.

Other than that,I have no interest.

If I was born earlier, I would probably like past gens because of nostalgia.

But I was born exactly when I was born and man it seems horrible. I wouldn't really want to check it up. From what I've heard, past gens weren't as G4 intended to be more interesting for everyone, they were that little girls show. But that's just a rumor.

(edited)

Why, yes. I have watched the 1st and some of 2nd generation. I absolutely loved it back then, it was part of my childhood. I can look back and enjoy it even 'til this day, but I've come to find that the episodes aren't about anything interesting really, especially not in g2. I haven't even given the 3rd a chance, because it seems like such a handful.

G1 will always be my favorite out of the past generations.

Edited by darkwingmare

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

Grew up watching MLP n Friends. FiM can't compare. Also grew up watching Tales.

There is no G2 cartoon.

Just started watching G3, it is kinda cute, but a little too saccharine for my taste sometimes. Its not bad by any means, but when I've grown up with girls shows like She-Ra, Sailor Moon, MLP and Friends, Care Bears, Jem and Rainbowbrite I prefer a leetle more action.

Yes boys, girls shows Can have adventure and danger. It irritates and amuses me when people seem to be legitimately surprised by that fact.

Newborn Cuties would insult the intelligence of a rock. There are far better shows for very young children.

Edited by Leave a Whisper
  • Brohoof 1

As a small child I was surrounded with MLP gend 3.5 of course as a small sprout I did not see how cringy it was. This past halloween I sat down with some popcorn and watched a few 3.5 "episodes".....

I didn't sleep that night.

• Brohoof 1

HA I rember when i watched that junky baby one when i was baby sitting i rember thinking how is she enjoying this its littreally the worst animated thing ever! #G3STINKS

HA I rember when i watched that junky baby one when i was baby sitting i rember thinking how is she enjoying this its littreally the worst animated thing ever! #G3STINKS

Seen an episode each of G1 & Tales, but that's about it. 

G3 on the other hoof I have seen plenty of. Got the tapes at a garage sale, willing to give it a shot, and I was thoroughly surprised. Wasn't bad at all. The animation was well done. The voice actors gave honest efforts. The music score was good. The whole thing was aesthetically pleasing, and I felt a whole bunch of warms and fuzzies from watching it. 

I've seen just about all of G3. I'm only missing the three part 'A very pony place' and the core 7 mini-episodes. 

So yeah, I'm a G3 enthusiast. I even hosted a panel on why G3 wasn't so bad. Even kept the powerpoint I used. 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1zXghKA5FWCf4cLdoLRIYhs593zEW0J8P8YpGp23jBbY/pub?start=false&loop=false&delayms=60000&slide=id.p3

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I have watched Generation 1 I liked the toys more then the actual shows/movies, generation 1 my little pony tales that is one of my favorites, generation 2 had no show, but I still like the ponies, generation 3 and 3.5 have watched them, but I did not care for them and still don't.

Edited by chaosprincess

I really enjoy watching the old generations sometimes, because I think the newest episodes aren't that good anymore. I like G1 and G3, especially My Little Pony Tales (don't judge me please), but G3.5 isn't the best thing for my brain (I own only two old figures and I recently bought a DVD but that's it)

I've seen and enjoyed most past generations, but only after getting into FiM. My favorite is definitely My Little Pony 'n Friends. The stories were enjoyable and they went on some pretty good adventures. I liked My Little Pony Tales as well. Not as good as the 80s series but it was alright. Like others have mentioned, G2 didn't have a cartoon. Just a video game called Friendship Gardens, which I've never played. I tried to find it online once because I was reviewing past generations for my blog and thought it would be a good addition (even though I have no experience with game reviews) but I had no luck. I still hope I can review it someday. I liked G3 as well. I thought the stories were good and I liked the characters. I even like G3.5. I thought it was cute. As for Newborn Cuties, it depends on which one you ask me about. I thought So Many Different Ways to Play was okay, but I didn't like Over Two Rainbows. The animation was awful. The characters lips didn't even move when they talked. A lot of the time, I couldn't tell who was talking. So yeah, I do enjoy past generations.

I have watched all of every generation, generation one is good and i love my little pony tales which is gen 2 and then gen 3 is ok but not great, hasbro didn't even try on gen 3.5 and it was terrible and gen 4 is awesome because it is a mix of pony tails and gen 1

I've never watched any of these generations ~ only saw pictures on the web.

Well ~ the previous generations seem to be even girlish and less cute that FiM, which makes me hesitant to watch.

Actually I'd never guess I'll be watching FiM either ~ so perhaps there would be another plot twist in my life and I'd start loving the previous ones too...?

Ooooh these ponies are suspicious...  :okiedokieloki:  =3

• 3 weeks later...

There was a point in time when I was a brony, and I started watching G1 of My Little Pony

I thought it was cool yet different. But I enjoyed it

I kinda slowly stopped watching it though.

I watched a few clips of G1 when I was early into the fandom. Beforehand in 2009 I first got to know MLP G3 from a matching game my sisters were playing on HorseGames.org. The three of us soon found the main MLP website and got to know the characters and we watched a few clips and stuff. I wasn't into it much (busy dablling in Meccano and Lego at the time xD) but the characters somewhat intrigued me. Not their designs but their voices and their personalities. It was only years later when I discovered MLP: FiM on youtube through SaberSpark's "The Brony Chronicles" that I understood how scrappy G3 was. Glad the three of us passed G3 off!!

I've watched all generations since I was a kid. G4 arguably has the best animation and is certainly more... accessible to a wider age range. However, G1 had its perks and was a joy to watch. It was certainly darker at times than G4 ever was.

It was a part of my childhood that I remember fondly.

I've seen things, man. It was horrible. They were so ugly. And the names. Not the names. And Unicornia. How? How could such a place exist?

I'll admit, it's not that horrible, but plenty of it is cringe-worthy.

xDDD

Unicornia is just as much a horse name as Equestria. Hell, Ponyville is more cringe than Unicornia. <w<