Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

(edited)

I did watch a tiny bit of both, but the last time I've seen either of them was around 2007. I can't say that I remember much of it.

Edited by Cash_In

• 2 weeks later...

I have watched all of my little pony n' friends including the specials and the movie. I have watched up to 12 episodes of my little pony tales so far(which I consider g1.5 as it came before the g2 ponies were released and they were still drawn in g1 style generally) I have seen some clips of g3 but not that much tbh. I have seen most of g4 though i haven't watched all episodes of it but I am up to date with season 8.

I don't think I've watched anything of Generation 1, but I have seen some of Tales, Generation 3, and Generation 3.5. Tales and Generation 3 kind of surprised me, they really weren't that bad, especially Tales. Generation 3.5, however, the only redeeming quality I see in it is "so horrible, it's funny". Some of the worst children's animation I have ever seen.

Yes, after I got into FiM and decided to give the previous generations a shot. G1 is more intense than you'd expect from a show designed to sell groomable pony toys to little girls. I appreciated the show's vision to put monsters and elements of darkness inside a world of girly ponies. However, I couldn't stand the 80s cartoon animation and voice-acting. It is, barely, above the G3 remakes on my opinions of previous gens.

No lie, I can enjoy MLP Tales. Slice-of-life appeals to me, I guess. It's got a nice theme song, and I like Lancer.

G3. Oh, G3...I have separate opinions for each iteration. The original G3 is pretty good for its target audience. The specials are endearing in their own way. Apparently Minty is a popular character...? So G3 is pretty cool, but I don't say the same for its remakes. The G3.5 models are very, very unappealing to me and IIRC the shorts were the same as G3, only in the new style? It seemed like a cop-out even if the shorts were designed to sell toys. And G3.75...I mean, what is that. The My Little Pony baby adventures thing. I'm well beyond its target demographic, but everything about that gen was so awkwardly timed and uninspired. My theory is that the staff had to make the show that way because Word of God said young girls couldn't comprehend anything past sparkly-eyed babyfaced characters sitting on the floor and staring with scarily vapid cuteness into space? Which would be a very backwards thing to think IF that were true. What I do know is that it was dreadful to sit through. Even if the episodes were short, I would rank G3.75 and 3.5 on the bottom for being so patronizing and devoid of substance. Not that they're all bad. I mean, hey, the G3.5 theme song was CATCHY.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I watched G3 when I was little, going back and re-watching it brings back some wonderful memories. :D That's why G3 will always have a special place in my heart.

I've never seen G2.

Discovery Family used to have throwback G1 movie marathons, so yeah I've seen G1. 

As for G3.5, I've seen it some years ago but I've never been a big fan of it for some reason. :mlp_wat:

When I was maybe 5 years old, I rented the only MLP VHS I could find: Rescue at Midnight Castle, the first ever MLP cartoon. It features adventure, ponies, and dragons. I was in LOVE. My sister got a G3 pony with a VHS, and we liked that as well (though it's harder to rewatch as an adult). When we got a DVD player a few years later, my mom bought me every G1 and G3 DVD we could find.

As an adult, I don't enjoy rewatching most of the G3 cartoons I loved as a child, but when I do enjoy it, it's mostly due to nostalgia. Meanwhile, finding more G1 (MLP n Friends, MLP Tales) that I haven't seen yet, and it's exciting to me. I collect the G1 toys so it's fun to see ones that I have in the screen. Especially Gusty because she sounds just like Bart Simpson.

• 11 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...