Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

No. Not at all. I'm sorry, but I despise G1 with a PASSION.

Now, this is from what I've seen of it. While I don't "watch" it to watch something that's enjoyable, I've watched a couple youtube episodes and the movie, since I believe that its utterly hypocritical to hate something without seeing it, yeah? (Much the same reason I watched EQG 1 and Magical mystery cure).

and MAN did the G1 things I watched ever SUCK. The movie was just horrible. >.< I wanted to constantly just smack the characters since it was so mind bogglingly stupid. Now, I can see an audience, so I understand that it wasn't for me: 3 year olds would probably have found it quite entertaining. But past that, ugh. just ugh. Stupid jokes, hateable characters, animation and art that was TERRIBLE with zero hook or draw to it, and villains who just were cliche and annoying. (and mane characters that were flat and unlikeable)

I grew up watching G1 with my sister and her friend, and I've recently began watching them again lately.  I still love it.  Granted, it is a bit cheesy, but hey, it's the 80s. 

I'm also gonna go on record and say that I find the G1 ponies cute to... Also Fizzy is best pony

9b8.jpg

as for G3, all I've seen was the Princess Promenade. (it was... meh)

I do plan to watch A Very Minty Christmas when Christmas time comes around.  Basically because... Christmas

• Brohoof 2

Nope. Never watched any prior generations to G4. Back then of course I had no interest but even then I never knew which network they broadcasted them on. This at the very least spared me from 3.5 because what I have seen of that...*shivers* Not good. I just don't think any of the past gens can come close to G4.

Back in the early 1990s I worked the night shift at a convenience store.  The 1st 2 shows were on free TV when I got home, so I would watch them while eating breakfast & then go to bed.  About the level of Scooby Do or the early Pokémon -tolerable while tired & distracted. (Tony Randal as the Moo Chick?)

Recently tried to watch A Very Minty Christmas & had to quit lest my brain explode

I never watched the other generations, and probably never will; even if the villains look better, I don't want to bother myself with these seemingly not that good shows.

But I could be wrong.

Edited by Xeltor

G3 (NOT 3.5, which is just horrible IMO), including the toys, was a part of my childhood. Therefore, it still holds a special place in my heart.

As for G1 and G2, I've never had much to do with them, but they don't look too bad. I'd like to get around to watching them someday.

Although I can respect others' opinions, I just don't see how it could appeal to people. Really, I don't see an episode being dark as a good enough reason to watch a series that's infamous for how bad it is (and yes I do know that there are still people who enjoy it). The later generations (besides G4) don't interest me in the slightest, and based on what little context I have, they seem like generic little girls' shows.

Basically I just have no interest in seeing them (and frankly have negative thoughts of them), and I doubt I ever really will. It's fine if others enjoy it, but I just don't really have an interest, and personally think it just looks cringe-worthy. But I mean to each their own.

Although I can respect others' opinions, I just don't see how it could appeal to people. Really, I don't see an episode being dark as a good enough reason to watch a series that's infamous for how bad it is (and yes I do know that there are still people who enjoy it). The later generations (besides G4) don't interest me in the slightest, and based on what little context I have, they seem like generic little girls' shows.

Basically I just have no interest in seeing them (and frankly have negative thoughts of them), and I doubt I ever really will. It's fine if others enjoy it, but I just don't really have an interest, and personally think it just looks cringe-worthy. But I mean to each their own.

Since when was G1 infamous for how bad it was? And, I'll say it again, if you're going to say that something is bad, you should actually watch it

Am I the only one who notices the irony of people here not wanting to watch G3 since it's 'too girly'? You know, because the show where one of the main characters is a Princess telling people about the magic of friendship with spontaneous musical numbers and frequent group hugs isn't girly at all because sometimes it has villains and monsters and fighting, you guys.

• Brohoof 2

Since when was G1 infamous for how bad it was? And, I'll say it again, if you're going to say that something is bad, you should actually watch it

Am I the only one who notices the irony of people here not wanting to watch G3 since it's 'too girly'? You know, because the show where one of the main characters is a Princess telling people about the magic of friendship with spontaneous musical numbers and frequent group hugs isn't girly at all because sometimes it has villains and monsters and fighting, you guys.

I was more so trying to say it was infamous based on popular opinion, or at least from what I've seen. I personally just think it looks cringey and have no real interest in checking it out, I never said it was bad.

Plus, I just have bad thoughts about gens like G3 just because of their animation and character models are really unappealing in my honest opinion, and they really do look like the stereotype for shows that were aimed towards young girls. I'm not saying things being feminine are bad, I'm just saying when they're only attempting to appeal to a single gender (which FiM tries to appeal to the entire family), they're going to leave bad first impressions. But again, as I said in the original post, it's fine if you like them, I'm just stating my personal viewpoints on why I don't have an interest in seeing past generations and what my first impressions of them are.

Edit: I do understand that G1 was a heavy inspiration for G4, and I do respect it for that. However, it doesn't change the first impressions I've had with it. Based on what little clips and images I've seen, it reminds me of those stereotypical young girls' shows, and it just looks fairly cringe-worthy. (same applies to later gens, besides 4.) I may check out G1 in the future, but for now I just have no interest, and no genuine opinion on any of the past generations besides what my first impressions were.

Edited by yufery

• 7 months later...

I actually really enjoy the past generations. They're cheesy and poorly-written, but that's part of their charm, for me xD Except for 3.5. 3.5 can burn in the fiery pits of hell.

"Call Upon the Sea Ponies" may actually be my favorite MLP song. I'm weird like that. Not that G4's songs aren't great.

I watched the original My Little Pony 'n Friends (plus the MLP movie) as a kid. I loved it back then and it still holds a special place in my heart.  :squee:

Later, as an adult, I also watched some of the MLP Tales and G3 episodes, but didn't like them all that much.

Also Fizzy is best pony

YESSS! My fav pony EVER!

Well said, sir!

post-14850-0-27856800-1461933469.gif

• Brohoof 3

@ZombieNixon-QFT. G1 is so girly. Yeah, you watch a girly show buddy, get over yourself and G1 is by no means bad and had plenty of action.

Ten years, two specials, a movie, sixty some odd episodes,hundreds of toys made worldwide and being one of Hasbro's longest lived and most beloved generations by old timers and newcomers makes this unpopular how?

Edited by Leave a Whisper

I first got to know of MLP back in sometime of early 2010 when my sisters were horse crazy (now all they do is watch anime and laugh and scream with the action and behavior of the characters onscreen, annoying me and my mother sometimes :scots: ).  I'd join them as we played many horse games. One of them was this excessively pretty pink-looking pony matching game. You guessed it! - that was the card matching game from G3. My sisters enjoyed the game, and soon found themselves on the main website, learning about the characters, playing more games, and watching video clips. I enjoyed a few of them because of the character designs, but the songs were just horrible and so was the storyline. Simple and booooooooooooooooooooring  :( . 

P.S.: At the time Lauren Faust's concept for the Mane 6 was displayed at the top of the page. We dissed them as being too "suggestive" and "Americanized" in their styles. And look at me now!  :lol:

Edited by Shabb3r

I think I watched G1 (MLP and Friends) a couple years ago with a cousin of mine. It was actually alright for that kind of show, despite some of the clunkier animation. Wouldn't say it was the kind of show I'd binge-watch or anything, but I can see the appeal.

I haven't seen G1.5 (Tales), considering I wasn't too interested in the lack of a fantasy setting and it felt pretty generic to me.

I've seen bits and pieces of G3 just for the lulz, and.. yeah, it's bad, although at the same time it's far from the worst show I've ever seen.

I haven't even touched G3.5 and Newborn Cuties for obvious reasons.

Once i've seen G3, it was a "Meh" and "What?!" for me, not catastrophic, but still... And then G3.5... Oh god!... That was the work of the devil! It's supposed to torture people, and kill brain, and... and... i was just sit down to the corner after seenig that...