Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Did You Ever Watch Generation 1, 2, 3, or 3.5?

best poni

As a kid I only really saw two episodes of G1, part 1 of Fugitive Flowers and one part (I think part 8) of The End of Flutter Valley, and not too long ago (maybe last year) I watched Rescue At Midnight Castle and the entirety of End of Flutter Valley. The episodes were very short and I wasn't very fond of the writing and the characters when I watched them as a kid (they felt slightly juvenile and saccharine for my tastes back then), though after rewatching The End of Flutter Valley it doesn't seem so bad (and I'm about to watch Flower Fugitives as well to finally learn what happens). But Rescue at Midnight Castle... Boy was that dark. Even by FiM standards as I would say. And I really liked it.

As for G2, G3 and G3.5, I never watched those, though from some research and review-watching, I'm kinda glad I didn't. :sunny:

• 2 weeks later...

I never watched the generations in my younger years, I only came about the franchise a few years ago, around when Season 3 of G4 was finishing up I belive. But I honestly don't plan to watch. Looking at the art I've seen, the art style just doesn't appeal to me.

I never watched any of the older generations during my younger years as my parents were careful to not have me watching things that might be considered too girly. Well, partially that and I never held any real interest in MLP at that time either. However I have given some generation a chance and here are my views:

G1: A decent attempt at a magic-based adventure for kids. It had some real dark themes at times and what I saw the stories were decent, but sometimes t really felt there was an oversaturation of characters at times. While the main human character was fine, the other two could get annoying. Even with that some episode are worth a watch; especially the ones with Tirek or Grogar as villians.

Tales: Admittedly I really haven't watched this outside of a review from Tommy Oliver and...I don't wanna watch it. Looks like this was really the start of the girly-stereotype phase.

G3: This actually isn't that bad. In fact I would go as far as to say it's good depending on your tastes. It can seem a bit childish at times, but overall the animation, music, and voicework is strong.

G3.5: This has a reputation for a reason. VERY cheap animation and poorly executed EVERYTHING. No thanks.

As a kid, I remember catching the original My Little Pony show a couple times and thinking it was okay. I remember once actively looking for it while channel surfing but never did see it more than twice. 

I never expected to fall in love with its successor 20 years later though. :P

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I did watched the first special of generation one, "Escape from Nightmare Tower", on YouTube as part of the 30th anniversary of that special being released back in 1984, but aside from that, I've never watched anything from the previous three generations. I'm actually curious as to what they are like for nostalgic purposes.

What first got me into mlp was gen 3, all I had was this little book, but back then i loved, now i don't but out of all the gen 3 pony's my favorite was

Puzzlemint

full.jpg (640×480)

Lily Lightly

lily-lightly-my-little-pony-a-very-pony-place-4.9.jpg (210×240)

Minty

2fc0bea7e47e3e2d8c3610cfa65d55c2.jpg (236×268)

I don't know I like the ponies just not the look...

I have watched Gen1 - I own a few G1 DVDs - I have G3 videos but haven't watched them (they came with ponies and are still mib). Friendship is magic is honestly the best TV, although I prefer the G1 toys.

Edited by Spootiepatootie

• 1 year later...

My opinions:

G4: The best generation.

G3/3.5: Cute... but I don't like it too much.

G2: The animation is cool, but didn't like it too much either.

G1:  Does anybody even like this generation?

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

I’ve watched all of g1 my little pony n’ friends both season 1 and 2. Overall I liked it especially episodes like “Rescue at Midnight Castle” and “Return of Tambelon”. I plan on at least watching the first episode of my little pony tales and if I like that I will watch all of that as well. I am not fond of g3 though and I don’t plan to watch any more of it. Overall I love g1 and g4 mlp.

9D682C2C-CF5C-45C7-AB75-EEAE86341FFC.thumb.jpeg.ae5e60668eddc27375cd10b03fdfda7f.jpeg08AC37F6-FBE0-4314-9833-4B986F568CE3.thumb.jpeg.d27edb9966f9f41bfae27c81f6abea7e.jpeg

I like looking at g1 art and I love a lot of g1 characters like fizzy, firefly, bow tie, twilight, windwhistler etc.

Edited by The Whiteraven

No I never did, but from what I can tell those generations weren't nearly as good as this current one is, so I really don't have much reason to watch those older generations anyways. Though, maybe watching the first episode of the first ever generation might be kinda neat :ooh: