Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Like EQG Better Than FiM. Anyone Else Agree?

Platinum Sonnet

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...

I cannot agree. I can understand though. EQG has unique characters traits, and should be able to live almost completely without mentioning any ponies.

The problem for me is, the Mane 6 are still copies of the ponies, and you cannot really make them any different, meaning most episodes would be similar or the same as FIM, so I don't enjoy that.

But some background characters stand out more, and Sunset is really outstanding!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I really enjoy both sides of G4 and to be honest, as somebody whose seen a great deal of both, they're very similar in terms of tone and writing, and I believe that if you enjoy one, you'll probably enjoy the other, There are differences of course, such as Twilight taking somewhat of a backseat to a new main character as well as the larger emphasis on "teenage activities" in general, but I actually don't think that EG is that much of a departure from the main show in general. 

I think that FiM is more fully-realized (getting a real ending certainly helps matters), but Equestria Girls isn't bad at all. I have a preference towards the main show, but there's room in my heart for both, and I encourage people not to immediately discount EG because of its bizarre premise.

• Brohoof 2

Dunno if I'd say I liked it more, though unlike the main show I actually watched EQG's finale on my own accord, so that has to count for something

• Brohoof 1

I certainly do not agree, but that is your opinion you have the right to express. :fluttershy: To me, Equestria Girls is alright, it'll just never have the same place in my heart as FiM. It definitely deserves a proper conclusion though. 

What is that? I've never heard of it! :P

No, but in all seriousness, I don't like its premise and as a result, I have chosen to never watch it. :proud: From what I have seen of it, because sometimes it's unavoidable, it seems to have done everything that I'm glad FiM didn't, in that it looks like it's attempting to be trendy and hip with current teenagers, giving the ponies modern technology and giving them dumb romances being prime examples. :mlp_wat: I could be wrong but that's the impression I've got. :kindness: Plus, I'm not a big fan of how they look. :okiedokieloki: As such, it definitely won't have the life-saving effect that FiM had on me. There's only one show that ever happened and that's Friendship is Magic! :wub:

Edited by TomDaBombMLP
  • Brohoof 4

7 hours ago, TomDaBombMLP said:

What is that? I've never heard of it! :P

No, but in all seriousness, I don't like its premise and as a result, I have chosen to never watch it. :proud: From what I have seen of it, because sometimes it's unavoidable, it seems to have done everything that I'm glad FiM didn't, in that it looks like it's attempting be trendy and hip with current teenagers, giving the ponies modern technology and giving them dumb romances being prime examples. :mlp_wat: I could be wrong but that's the impression I've got. :kindness: Plus, I'm not a big fan of how they look. :okiedokieloki: As such, it definitely won't have the life-saving effect that FiM had on me. There's only one show that ever happened and that's Friendship is Magic! :wub:

At least they aren’t as bad with trying to be “current” like Pony Life. :lie: So many episodes involve them just playing on their phones!! They’re magical horses, they can be interesting without phones!

• Brohoof 2

Moments ago, ExplosionMare said:

At least they aren’t as bad with trying to be “current” like Pony Life. :lie: So many episodes involve them just playing on their phones!! They’re magical horses, they can be interesting without phones!

Ugh, I was hoping that wouldn’t be mentioned. :yuck:

• Brohoof 2

I would say I like early-mid MLP FIM the same as Equestria Girls, but I prefer Equestria girls over the later main show. 
They made a lot of weird decisions when it comes to the tone and direction, while EQG sticked to the cute pony girls doing cute pony girl things.

• Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, Nori984 said:

I would say I like early-mid MLP FIM the same as Equestria Girls, but I prefer Equestria girls over the later main show. 
They made a lot of weird decisions when it comes to the tone and direction, while EQG sticked to the cute pony girls doing cute pony girl things.

Yeah, there’s plenty of dumb things worth mentioning in EQG, but I never felt it actively driven me away or outright offended me like the main show had on multiple occasions 

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Megas said:

Yeah, there’s plenty of dumb things worth mentioning in EQG, but I never felt it actively driven me away or outright offended me like the main show had on multiple occasions 

The main show really ran into a wall both in theme and tone around the theatrical movie. In fact the movie bloated the world too much the show never really recovered from it.
So we ended up a dozen recolored pony species and two more sets of elements of harmony and the school etc. This show was really good at introducing concepts and never really expanding upon them.

For me the ideal was the fairy tale/high fantasy tone of the first few seasons. I enjoyed the slice of life and character progression of the middle seasons. But later things got weird and... ironic (?). It felt like the staff simply couldn't take the show on face value anymore. Also the art style moved away from ponies having muzzles to having noses. Among other things. If they wished to show ponies.

• Brohoof 1

Y'know... it's funny...

I like FIM way more.  I mean, it's the bread and butter.  It's the meat and potatoes.  It's... like... the whole freakin' meal.  EG is just... like... the desert or something.  Without the pony show, you got nothin'.  But strangely, I actually enjoy EG more for a really weird and stupid reason.  See, I'm ashamed to admit that I'm one of those fans that tended to over-analyze the show and get all hot 'n' bothered when they did things that I didn't like, or didn't make sense.  I mean... I'm not proud of myself, but it is what it is.  I say it's the show's own damn fault for being so f*ckin' good.  FIM was too good for its own good.  If it was mediocre, then I wouldn't have cared what made sense or whether it had perfect continuity or whatever.  But they (somewhat inadvertently, I think) created a world and fantasy lore so good that it made me buy into this world, really buy into the believability of it and become obsessed with it.  It's as rich and robust of a lore as LOTR.  Therefore, I so badly wanted everything to make as much sense and have as much continuity as the LOTR movies.  So, I'd get bent out of shape when an episode didn't live up to the ridiculously high standards that the show itself set.

Then came Equestria Girls.  At first, I was against it.  I thought that the idea of humanizing them and making them go to high school just killed the fantasy lore.  I thought it was sacrilege.  It made me want to vomit.  But then it started wearing me down very quickly.  I just couldn't resist.  I couldn't look away.  It just looked too damn good.  So I stopped being stubborn and stupid and gave it a shot (and freakin' loved it).  But in my mind, it was still something separate from FIM, and because they never acknowledged it on FIM, Equestria Girls remained B-canon for the entire franchise, and thus, I didn't care about it in the same way.  It was as if I had set up a partition in my mind to isolate EG, and anything that happened in that partition didn't affect FIM.  I didn't watch EG with the same critical eye.  I didn't review it and pick apart the things I didn't like.  I just watched it, and didn't care what they did.  I didn't care if everything made perfect sense.  I just let go and enjoyed it.  For that reason, EG actually brought me more joy than the pony show, even though I think the pony show is much better and more important.

I told you it was stupid.  Like, why couldn't I stop being so uptight and just enjoy FIM that way?  Well, I'm actually in the middle of a big rewatch of the whole series, and I'm actually enjoying it much more this time, and absorbing it on a much more carefree level.  Doesn't mean I don't still stand by the criticisms I made (which I do), but I'd like to think I've matured a bit, and am now able to just let go of the negative feelings and have fun watching it.  ( I even watched the dreaded Princess Spike and Newbie Dash and managed to have a good time!  :o)  But I don't think I ever had as much fun as watching through all the EG stuff for the first time.  And that's why EG was kind of better for me.  Because I'm weird and stupid.  :lie:  :ButtercupLaugh:

• 3 months later...

I'm sorry for me it's quite the opposite. I really don't hate EqG, but I definitely prefer FiM. To have the counterpart of FiM there feels always kinda interesting and strange to me.

There are some I liked in particular in EqG:

• These girls playing in a band
  • Scientific Twilight with lab coat in the lab and doing research
  • See how those ponies translates to humans. this interesting to see from an artistic point of view for someone who draws occasionally

My biggest problem with EqG is that it copies way too much. I mean there are some minor differences but this is not saying much. There is this one scene in the library of the first movie. Where the CMC watching to a youtube video of theirs. This is song is directly from FiM and the show stops the video right before the word pony appears. This can also be seen as an easter egg but for me this represents the definite weak spot of this spin off. The creators have of course a problem if they want to introduce too many characters in a short run time of this movie. So by doing this it's easier and they have more time to concentrate on their actual plot instead of introducing characters. I see that, but I'm not a big fan of this and it just feel cheap to me. 

I also found the idea of being condensed to a high school limiting. FiM never felt so restricting to me. But this is maybe only me and I've watched too many of these high school movies xD

So I don't deny it's existence and I think I will also keep these movies in my rewatch. Even if those movies are not on the same level as the FiM for me, they are entertaining, have songs and occasionally some ponies.

(edited)

I WHOLEHEARTLY disagree with you! :okiedokieloki:

Equestria Girls is a corporate cynical cash grab that should NEVER existed in the FiM universe in the first place! If Hasbro want to create a Monster High rip off, be my guess, but don't ever associate with MLP.

I know I shouldn't be too harsh on it because a lot of people really love just as much as the mainline series. If you guys like it, more power to you. I just don't like it.

Edited by JMTV99
  • Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, JMTV99 said:

I WHOLEHEARTLY disagree with you! :okiedokieloki:

Equestria Girls is a corporate cynical cash grab that should NEVER existed in the FiM universe in the first place! If Hasbro want to create a Monster High rip off, be my guess, but don't ever associate with MLP.

I know I shouldn't be too harsh on it because a lot of people really love just as much as the mainline series. If you guys like it, more power to you. I just don't like it.

My thoughts exactly! :laugh:

(edited)

Not really i find it a little too much typical school trope. But it can be interesting sometimes it just doesn't attract my attention so much as those stories don't generally appeal to me. I rather have a more fantasy feeling. I mean it is a chance to explore these characters in another setting and that so that good tho. I will probs give this show another chance when I get bored.

But I am sure some ppl enjoy it a lot. I would have prefered like human mlp characters in a more anime style idk about it actually being an anime tho. 

Edited by Stardust
  • Brohoof 1