Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Cost of an MLP episode

tigris115

Idk I'm sure episode with guest stars like wierd al cost more as well as ones with musical numbers. Because you have to pay for the band members to create the song. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't have numbers for MLP in particular, but I do know that on average half-hour animation episodes are usually budgeted somewhere between $500,000 US to $1,000,000 US. But that's average, and the longer the show runs the more expensive it usually gets. To the point that one running as long as say the Simpsons costs over $2.5 million per episode.

• Brohoof 1

Hasbro doesn't directly disclose the per-episode figures, but it's believed to be in the six-figures, and that's mainly because of the size of the crew needed to make an episode and the schedule the show runs on. The US average is $532309 per half-hour: http://lineboil.com/how-much-does-an-animated-tv-episode-cost/

Just look at the length of the credits reel:

This accounts for not only the animation itself, but music, sound design, voice acting, storyboard, design, production, and marketing. Two or three episodes may be in production at a time and there are three separate animation teams. Almost everything is custom-made for this show.

I'm doing this b/c im thinking of directing an animation and I want to know what budget I'll need.

If you're planning on doing an animation, unless you're demanding the most professional quality, you won't need anywhere near the amount of money most companies put into TV productions. Entire films have been made for small budgets, including some made entirely by one person or on free software. Most Internet animations are made on small budgets, so you don't necessarily have to aim that high.

For one thing, amateur animators on the Internet don't need producers because most of the legal terms of websites are readily visible. They don't always need to make all their music when there are free, royalty-free music producers like http://www.incompetech.com/, or even sound effects when there are royalty-free sound sites everywhere. Some free software is just as capable as the paid software that professionals use, even if the learning curve is steeper. In the end, it's talent that makes animation work more than money. Think of all the shows and films produced on million-dollar budgets that are either commercial failures or hated by audiences. If you have a good enough vision to use your resources wisely, you can overcome the setback of money. 

Edited by Vested Interest

Yes, AFAIK the big cost is the voice actors.  It costs WAY more to have a known actor do the voice.  The actor's name is supposed to pull in enough extra viewers to make up the expense. But, since the actors can just read off the script you should be able to record the sound track in just 1 day