Is It OK For Guys To Cry? [Please Read OP First]

Jonny Music

So the question still remains...  

19 users have voted

1. 1. Is it really OK for guys to cry?

• Yes of course it is.
    • Yes? No? Maybe???
    • No, it isn't. They should toughen up.
    • Other (please explain in a post with some additional detail)

That's pretty subjective. If something upsets you so much it's hard to control your emotions. I no matter what it is, I think it's best to just let it all out.

True. That's why I put it that way.

The most specific I'll get is: if there is something you have an emotional connection to or matters a lot to you, then I think crying would be fine. If not, then crying might be a little silly.

• Brohoof 5

I grew up in (and still live in) an environment where men who cry are considered weak in many areas. I've lived with the stigma that there was something wrong with me and that I needed help someplace.

Ladies and gentlemen; there is nothing wrong with a man who sheds tears. They are NOT weak; we are not weak. I tend to cry under stress and guess what! It is completely natural!

Tears are nature's stress relief, and men feel stress just as much as anyone else. I will NEVER accept the stigma that it is wrong; never! It gets me into confrontations sometimes with my parents, but I stand my ground anymore.

As you can tell this is a sensitive topic for me; I'll leave it at that.

• Brohoof 7

Reformed_Animation_Amethyst_People_Cryin

Crying boys need more spotlight in cartoons.

The stigma against men crying/being emotional is actually pretty bad for society, as it results in a lack of empathy for fellow humans and a big buildup of stress. Crying is good for guys and good for everyone~

• Brohoof 4

I think crying is perfectly natural for all human beings. Thus it is okay for guys to cry.

Though I admit it would really stun me at first, because I have literally never seen a man cry in person. Boys yes, but never any guy older than like 15. In fact I rarely see anyone cry but me.

I cry all the freakin' time. It's my default reaction to powerful emotions.

Sadness, Anger, Joy... they all get the waterworks from me.

But I barely see anyone else cry ever. So when I do, it always breaks my heart because I just think, "WOW... I'm a crybaby and cry at everything, but this must have been REALLY upsetting for THEM to cry!!" And then I try to make them feel better with hugs and kind words. Or start crying with them.

3ec.gif

Edited by ShadOBabe
  • Brohoof 7

I remember a couple of years ago. I was bullied in school by this kid and i remember one day just bursting into tears because i couldn't take it anymore. From what i remember he called me a girl for crying. The fact he said that still annoys me to this day.

Of course it's okay to cry, boy or girl. Gender doesn't matter as crying is natural and helps you come over stress.

• Brohoof 5

After watching this from Think Tank, I couldn't agree more (which means I fully I agree with their thoughts).

However, I would like you know what you guys think about this? I'm talking to both genders (male and female).

Do you think it's ok for guys to cry? Please be thoughtful and don't make your answers too shallow. Because this question can be answered in many ways.

Of course, why woulden't it be? The only reason I can think of is societies pre-concieved notions of masulinity. The "Men don't cry" attitude. There is a difference between being macho, and being manly. Macho is that big, burly mans man who never cires or shows emotion, the kind of guy who looks like he's not enjoying himself, like he doesn't care about what's going on. Manly men are daper, they show a wide range of emotions, and they're confident. Imagine like, Marcus Pheonix from Gears of War as Macho, and Dandy from Space Dandy more of the Manly type. A manly man would cry, a macho man woulden't.

As cool as that comparison is, men obviously can and should show their emotions, just like any human being should. Showing emotion is not some derogatory thing, but showing too much emotion could make you appear more feminine, the reason there is confusion is becuase women tend to have stronger emotional responces than men, and can remember these responces more clearly. Hence where the "Don't cry like a girl" sort of thing comes from, becuase Women emote harder, more dramatically, more clearly, more visually.

And this isn't me being sexist or something, this has been documented in scientific literature, and this steryotype exists becuase there's some truth to it. Feel free to do some research, very itneresting stuff.

Basically, it's OK for everybody to cry, it's a biological responce to strong emotions, why woulden't it be right. Sort of like asking "Is it OK to laugh?", yeah, obviously.

• Brohoof 4

I am cry when I have the reason for this, and I also have no problems to say this. After my Grandfather died at easter this year, I wept. The same last november after a good friend of me died on a motorbike accident. I don't see a problem about crying. It's totally natural to cry when something terrible happens in my opinion. 

• Brohoof 4

I think it's supersilly to have guys hold back their tears and emotions of sadness in the first place.

Back in time, it was manly to cry. Why did it turn around so drastically?? Of course it's okay for men to cry, they have just as much reason to cry as any animal, any gender, any creature in this world.

This is also why we need feminism, in case you people didn't know.

• Brohoof 5

It would be weird if you didn't. I remember something about how that in like, roman times, if during a battle you didn't cry when one of your men died, that you weren't a man. That sounds much better then what's acceptable now, though it would have to be different.

• Brohoof 4

What I don't find OK, is the social stigma where real machos musn't cry bullshit  >_> . It's ok for men to cry, but I heard that physilogically, men have a harder time to do so, but it's alright for us to cry and be emotional, because not doing so, it's one of the main causes of why men live less than women in average, they have so much unreleased stress accumulated 

• Brohoof 5

It doesnt madder if i find it okay to cry or not...because if i watch Once upon a time i cry anyway  :lol:

So i guess its okay, its a natural thing to do and it just means that something really touches your heart.  :ooh:

Or your just sad..but that sucks  :(

• Brohoof 4

Crying is a natural release. Different people have different ways of dealing with emotions. Sometimes when I have a lot building up emotion wise, crying just comes naturally to me. I'm not gonna lie, even last Sunday I cried, and I felt a lot better after it. Personally, I don't want to share why. But no matter how society may look at it. Crying is a very natural reaction. If you cry, it's okay. Don't be ashamed about it.

• Brohoof 5

A likely reason as to the whole "Men aren't meant to cry thing" is the fact that through the course of history, men were considered the dominant ones..

Crying is considered, by many, to be a sign of weakness.. rather than a form of expressive emotions..

And weakness is something people who consider themselves dominant/manly do not like.. as it shows they are less so..

Over the years.. things change and In many groups this concept became more of a rule than a guide..

It annoys me though when you're brought up told not to cry.. I've been depressed for a long time now, i went to see my sister one time and i was having a bad day, my older brother-in-law was there.. and i found it hard to talk as i was half crying, my brother asked my to let out my emotions, i started crying as i spoke, he interupted me and said "man up"

It's like WTF?! You just told me to let out my emotions, then you tell me to bottle them back up again?!?!

But yeah..

I for one think it's ok to cry.. there is nothing wrong with displaying emotions, there is no shame in doing so if you truly have a reason to be upset..

Edited by AURAequine
  • Brohoof 2

Of course it is okay for men to cry! All of my closet male friends have allowed me to see them cry. I hate when other people see men do something they think is stereotypically female and call them "weak". I also don't think a man is weak for being gay for that matter. It takes more strength for a man to be vulnerable. The thing I see a lot in males is that they have a lot of fear and hide it to not feel like failures. Of course I am only 1 female observing here with only 1 opinion.  

• Brohoof 2

Society for a long time has this "dudebro code of manlymenness" that perceives crying as "too emotional and weak". It's really not. A perfectly natural process that actually guarantees better emotional stability afterwards. It's a natural soothing response. Holding in crying/sadness in that form is actually not very healthy.

In some cases on TV if an important man of power shows such emotion for very tragic and serious topics it conveys generally he's a good and well-rounded guy. It's definitely not unheard of for some public respect to a crying man.

• Brohoof 3

yes,

it's okay for men to cry.

men are just like any other human being. and they too deal with emotions the same way every other human does.

there is nothing wrong with showing emotions. and it's not supposed to be vieuwed as "weak".

The social construct that men are not allowed to cry since they are men is wrong. it needs to be changed. men are just like every other person allowed to cry whenever they need to.

personally I think children need to be tought that boys are allowed to cry too, that they have emotions too and that these emotions matter. that there is nothing wrong or weak with boys who cry.

Yeah. I don't understand why some people see crying as a sign of weakness. :confused:
  • Brohoof 4